mounting cymbals from the tom post

TDrum

On my new kit, which I've just mentioned in another post, I'm mounting the tom from a cymbal stand. I've been looking at the now redundant hole in the top of my kick drum and am wondering if I can find a use for it, perhaps mount a cymbal or some percussion. Does anyone do this or something similar?

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
Remove the mount. Take it to a trophy shop and have a brass plate made the same size with the exact same mounting holes...........

Custom built for .................... and your name under that.

Do it in a nice script font. Put that on there.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Mount a giant magnifying glass on it so you will look really freaky to the audience?

Sorry I'll go mow the lawn now.

kettles

Gold Member
Find a way to attach a water gun to the kick, on a moveable mount like a turret. Have it fire a sharp stream of water at the crowd, operated by a switch attached to the heelplate of your hi hat.

That's what I'd do anyway.

cutaway79

Silver Member
You can mount whatever you want out of that hole. I saw a picture recently where the guy had a huge patio table umbrella sticking out of his kick. Would be great on sunny days. Just watch out if it gets too windy., haha

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Its a perfect place to put a splash. My Taye set came with a double tom holder and a tube mount for whatever. I used it in many ways, crash, splash, cowbell. Welcome

Taye-Dyed

Its a perfect place to put a splash. My Taye set came with a double tom holder and a tube mount for whatever. I used it in many ways, crash, splash, cowbell. Welcome
Here is a photo of my Taye with the same kind of mount. I use it to mount a crash (18" Paiste GB multi). I also clamp a boom to the tube and put my ride on it (20" Paiste 2002). It works real well for me - eliminates two stands from my set up. BTW, when you look at the photo remember that I have a left handed set up.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum. Don't be put off by guys having fun with your question. It is not because anybody thinks it is a silly question but some threads just turn this way. Ultimately you will always get good answers. This is a great forum with great guys and gals.

Attachments

Spreggy

Silver Member
There are no rules, clamp anything to anything, use any hole for any pleasure. In this iteration of my set, the tom mount holds a tom, two cymbals and a cowbell. Cymbals mounted on basses is a time honored tradition.

alparrott

Platinum Member
As long as the down tube matches the mount, go for it. It saves you at least one stand. I fly a 16" crash (and occasionally my ride) from the bass drum mount.

Attachments

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
use any hole for any pleasure.

I'll thank you to keep your distance there big fella...:) That's an awful big hole in that wall....Good height too...

Loving the pic, the old barn in the back looks great and I like the black and white.

TDrum

I'm going to have to give this a go and get my ride mounted there somehow. Just need to find stand/post/clamp combination that will do the job.

criz p. critter

Silver Member
I want to do the same thing on my Ludwig early 70s kick. Anyone have any specific info on a sleeve or something that would reduce that hole down in a less-than-kludgey way?

UPDATE: Never mind! Just figured it out. I have to use the top and center sections of a stand, and it'll work well.

Spreggy

Silver Member
I'll thank you to keep your distance there big fella...:) That's an awful big hole in that wall....Good height too...

Loving the pic, the old barn in the back looks great and I like the black and white.
This is one of my favorite venues, but I won't say why ha ha.

Actually it's just down the street, and they treat the band like guests w/ food and drink. I swear it's not the other amenities.

Lunar Satellite Brian

Get one of these:

take the base off, mount it upside down inside the drum holding a kick mic.
Oh my God, I love this idea, take my cat dear sir, you are brilliant, you deserve it.

use any hole for any pleasure.
That's not something you hear too often.

personally I've mounted a few cymbals from my empty tom holder, but I always have a problem with the cymbals ringing when I hit the bass drum.