Mounting crash to bass drum?

All, looking to mount my crash on the tom holder for my Tama Imperialstar (Poplar 7mm shell I think). Its a 16" A Zildjian rock crash. Would / could this damage the shell at all? Thanks.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I've been running a 22-inch ride off of a Tom mount on the kick. On one kit I'm using a multi clamp on the Tom holder to hold the cymbal. On the other kit it has a double Tom holder and I'm only using one Tom, so I just mount a cymbal stand in the second Tom hole. A 16-inch crash should be just fine.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Just saw a documentary on Monk. His drummer had cymbal mounted on kick. That's the way it was. I'm sorry that's no longer standard. That, and internal snare mufflers.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
People have put their ride cymbal on the kick for decades, that's because a cymbal can ride on a bass drum. But if you add a crash-well a cymbal crashing a bass drum spells disaster LOL. I wonder if the old ride on kick set up (with ride near floor tom) the pattern where lots of people place their ride. I remember I use to put my ride between hats and first hi tom, then years later moved to right between middle tom and floor tom.

roncadillac

I'm sorry that's no longer standard. That, and internal snare mufflers.
Agree on both. Not even that I like a muffled snare but I hate moon gels, rings, etc and love the idea of being able to dial in my single ply snare head to suit the room with the simple twist of a knob.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Not sure what you mean by a disaster. My small 16"-18" crashes are no problem mounted on kick.

People have put their ride cymbal on the kick for decades, that's because a cymbal can ride on a bass drum. But if you add a crash-well a cymbal crashing a bass drum spells disaster LOL. I wonder if the old ride on kick set up (with ride near floor tom) the pattern where lots of people place their ride. I remember I use to put my ride between hats and first hi tom, then years later moved to right between middle tom and floor tom.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I personally don't care for bass-mounted cymbals. The cymbal vibrates when playing the bass drum, and I can feel the cymbal vibration in the bass pedal when I play the cymbal.

All that said, you've got to try it for yourself to find if it's going to work for you. It isn't going to damage anything. Part of the reason bass drums used to get treated like pack mules back in the day is they're a pretty solid structure to work with.

single-ply

Just saw a documentary on Monk. His drummer had cymbal mounted on kick. That's the way it was. I'm sorry that's no longer standard. That, and internal snare mufflers.
Yep. Big fan of internal mufflers. The Snareweight M-1 leather muffler is great. Check that out.

My only comment on cymbals on bass drums is, yes I like them a lot. One my Yamaha post, I run a crash cymbal, between my two rides. My only issue is you get a sympathetic ring when you hit the bass drum. Not an issue when you are play the whole kit, but I can see in a studio, it might be an issue