Mounting an iPad to your drumset

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
What's the best way to mount an iPad to your drumset?

Looks like I'm going to be mounting an iPad to my kit somewhere to run my own personal IEM mix.

Any suggestions? Pics?

Last edited:

lefty2

Platinum Member
You can look up iPad holders and they make some that clamp on 2 mic stand or in our case a cymbal stand. Musician's friend has them I'm sure Guitar Center and other places do too. I use a clamp on for my cell phone. I clamp it onto my hi-hat stand and run a metronome into my in ears through my phone I have all the songs programmed so I just go down the list in order. I also have my personal monitor mix on my phone so I can adjust what I hear in my inner ears during sound check

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I'm using an Ultimate Support holder, attached to the arm of my sample pad. It's positioned exactly where I need it without being in my way. It comes with 2 goosenecks - short and long - but the longer one tends to pull down from the weight of the ipad. Even the short one bends a little, hence the gaff tape holding the pad up to the sample pad.

Bermuda

Attachments

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member

This is the one I keep coming back to at Walmart (and it's $12 cheaper at Walmart as well). :)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/iKlip-2-Universal-Apple-iPad-Holder-for-Mic-Stands/55433277

I've wondered if I could mount it to the top of my kick drum hoop. I have plenty of room right above my knee b/c I play a 4-piece kit.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I use an iKlip Xpand, I like it because I can use it with my iPad mini or full sized one depending on what I'm using it for.

bermuda

Staff member
I've wondered if I could mount it to the top of my kick drum hoop. I have plenty of room right above my knee b/c I play a 4-piece kit.
I wouldn't take a chance with the vibrations. I know the iPad is solid-state, but still. Also, is it a possibility that you'd drop a stick on it? Could be fatal to the screen with enough force.

I'd look for a spot that's outside the movement of your sticks, certainly not in front of you.

Bermuda

beatdat

Then where would you put your cowbell?!

Like Bermuda said, I wouldn't attach it to the bass drum hoop, not only because of risk of damage, but because you would probably need an extra piece of hardware to clamp the mount to the bass drum.

Keep it simple and attach it to your hi-hat stand; you won't have to worry about hitting it and it'll still be within arm's reach.

bermuda

Staff member
Didn't know that was a DW mount... seems like I saw it in the audio department at Sam Ash just 2 years ago.

cajun voyage

I use RAM mounts for my GPS stuff, GoPros, etc. Granted, this setup is a little over-kill size wise, but I had an extra 1.5" x 6" arm and claw mount so I attached my iPad frame to it and it works just fine.