Mount Rushmore of Drumming: What does it look like?

shemp

Silver Member
Is it possible to identify, as objectively as possible, the most influential drummers to date...those that should be carved in stone?

Remember...*most influential*....not your personal favorite or who you *think* should be carved in stone.

Does it look like this?

01. Buddy Rich
02. Ringo Starr
03. John Bonham
04. Neil Peart

T

The Old Hyde

UGH, this may turn into an ugly Travis Barker debate.

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member
Krupa has to be one. He changed drumming.

Ringo might be one for "influencing" young people to play drums back then, probably as no other ever did or will do.

People don't realize how Billy Cobham changed drumming. His impact is there even for people who never heard of him. The same could be said for Tony Williams, too. He changed drumming.

I guess you would have to decide why those four are on Rushmore to begin with. Historically they were just four favorites of the guy who began the project. I certainly don't see Teddy being a game changer in American politics or American history.

boltzmann's brain

1) buddy rich.
2) gene kruppa
3) dave weckl
4) elvin jones
there are certainly thousands of drummers who are/were qualified to be carved into a mountain, but these four each changed the face of drumming. gene was the drum hero, buddy was the chops freak, weckl is the poly-rhythm alien, elvin was the god of freedom. you asked for four. this is the best i could do.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
It has to be Ringo Starr... probably the most influential drummer of all times.

Followed by Buddy Rich...

Maybe Steve Gadd and Louie Bellson?

Neil Peart? Really? ... don't get me wrong, he's a damn fine player, but one of the most influential of all times? ... I think not... same for Bonzo.

WhoIsTony?

Papa Jo - changed the instrument as we know it and inspired most of the heros of the drummers we love today

Gene Krupa - he brought the drummer to the front

Buddy Rich - no explanation needed

Tony Williams - changed the game in multiple genres and even if you never heard a note of Tonys playing his influence is still in you ... just via someone else .... constantly evolving .... revolutionized a new sound in jazz in the early 60s... basically helped create fusion in the late 60s and 1970s.... even pushed the boundaries in rock music

Ringo - made matched grip acceptable and drum stores could not keep drum kits on the shelf after the Beatles Ed Sullivan performance .
he was single handedly responsible for Ludwig not being able to keep up on quality control in the mid 1960s

yeah....there are 5 faces on this mountain

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member
In reality did Ringo effect drumming, the drums, or just found himself in the Beatles and the timing was right for kids wanting to play drums, and Ludwig being the company of choice. Is that worthy of Rushmore?

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I will throw Louie Bellson into the ring. Not that I am even remotely familiar with his work, but in everything I have read he is credited with designing, developing and using the first double bass kit. That is what I would call influential.

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member
Well, not to veer off into politics, but how did Teddy change American politics and the nation, other than starting the gross federal national parks program and stealing land from states? That is hardly worthy of Rushmore.

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member
I will throw Louie Bellson into the ring. Not that I am even remotely familiar with his work, but in everything I have read he is credited with designing, developing and using the first double bass kit. That is what I would call influential.
Some say Sam Woodyard created double bass.

shemp

Silver Member
It has to be Ringo Starr... probably the most influential drummer of all times.

Followed by Buddy Rich...

Maybe Steve Gadd and Louie Bellson?

Neil Peart? Really? ... don't get me wrong, he's a damn fine player, but one of the most influential of all times? ... I think not... same for Bonzo.
From a sheer outreach point of view...Ringo is probably the fella that created the most drummers and reached the most drummers..I agree.

I'm definitely not sold on Peart and Bonham...I may be off on that....but boy, they have made an amazing impact on gazillions of drummers....however, I think I agree with you., They may have come too late to the party and they were highly influenced by others mentioned on this list.

I am sold on Buddy and Ringo though....two slots are taken for sure!

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member
I am sold on Buddy and Ringo though....two slots are taken for sure!
Of course, Mr. Humble credited Gene with putting drumming where it was, and without him we would not have what we have today. Well, perhaps. But if Buddy gets on, Gene has to be there, too.

Muckster

Platinum Member
Yeah this is going to get ugly but keeping in line with "most influential" i would say:

Gene Krupa - Brought the drums into the spotlight.
Buddy - 'Nuff said.
Tony Williams - Changed everything.
Ringo - "Nuff said.

There are many others that contributed to the development of the instrument and pushed technical abilities beyond reach but those four have influenced more drummers than anyone else, hands down.

T

The Old Hyde

the more I think of it, as amazing as Buddy was, he really didn't influence me at all. I loved seeing him do drum solos on tv but, I never became a drum solo player and I HATE the music he played so he, as a drummer wasn't influential to me. I know he gets a pass, but maybe those who he influenced directly should be listed. are the new breed bringing more drummer into the fold? how many kits were sold from people wanting to be Buddy versus people wanting to be ..gulp... Travis or Jordison? I really think there is more of an explosion of drummers after guys like Krupa and buddy.

drummerjims

1. Elvin Jones
2. Buddy Rich
3. Tony Williams
4. John Bonham

Notable mentions Papa Joe, Philly Joe, Gene, Art Blakey, Ringo.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Papa Jo - changed the instrument as we know it and inspired most of the heros of the drummers we love today

Gene Krupa - he brought the drummer to the front

Buddy Rich - no explanation needed

Tony Williams - changed the game in multiple genres and even if you never heard a note of Tonys playing his influence is still in you ... just via someone else .... constantly evolving .... revolutionized a new sound in jazz in the early 60s... basically helped create fusion in the late 60s and 1970s.... even pushed the boundaries in rock music

Ringo - made matched grip acceptable and drum stores could not keep drum kits on the shelf after the Beatles Ed Sullivan performance .
he was single handedly responsible for Ludwig not being able to keep up on quality control in the mid 1960s

yeah....there are 5 faces on this mountain
+ 1