Motown fans

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Here's some video I've never seen before of James Jamerson and the gang recording a Temptations song.

There's not much footage of Jamerson and this isn't the best...but...I can see "the hook" in action, and he of course is playing his totally stock "Funk Machine" 1962 Fender Precision bass (with the foam damper between the strings and the bridge cover I'm assuming). He's on the right side of the screen, upper back. I consider stuff like this gold. It sounds to me like Uriel Jones on drums judging by the pickup, but I'm not 100% positive about that. You can clearly see the self-named "Oreo cookie" guitar section, Robert White, Joe Messina and Eddie "Chank" Willis. I wish they filmed all the recordings.

You can see Earl Van Dyke on piano, and I'm pretty sure that's Norman Whitfield producing (as seen earlier in the video) not to mention David Ruffin and the Temptations...

pure gold

Last edited:

pocket player

Here's some video I've never seen before of James Jamerson and the gang recording a Temptations song.

There's not much footage of Jamerson and this isn't the best...but...I can see "the hook" in action, and he of course is playing his totally stock "Funk Machine" 1962 Fender Precision bass (with the foam damper between the strings and the bridge cover I'm assuming). He's on the right side of the screen, upper back. I consider stuff like this gold. It sounds to me like Uriel Jones on drums judging by the pickup, but I'm not 100% positive about that. You can clearly see the self-named "Oreo cookie" guitar section, Robert White, Joe Messina and Eddie "Chank" Willis. I wish they filmed all the recordings.

You can see Earl Van Dyke on piano, and I'm pretty sure that's Norman Whitfield producing (as seen earlier in the video) not to mention David Ruffin and the Temptations...

pure gold

Nice ,That great ,classic ,rack tom sound !!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
That's awesome. I cant get over how crammed in they really are though. I woulda thought the overall space would have been bigger.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Vandalay

Cant see the drummer, (he'd be to Jamersons left, in the corner) To my ears, it's a toss-up between Uriel Jones & Pistol Allen. Anyone care to venture a guess?

jimb

Looks like a set up for the film...still, always great to see real footage of the A team....Strangely theres no Philly Soul studio footage anywhere,....pity.

someguy01

No mention of the percussion queen herself, Bobbye Hall. You can actually see her in the video, hiding in the back.