Mother (nature) knows best :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I started finishing some of our last batch of super high grade padauk today. These shots taken after only the first 10 applications of shellac. They'll receive another 10 applications, then sanded back, then a final 5 applications. Even though they're nowhere near finished, I'm blown away with the results so far. No stain, no colour enhancement of any kind - just mother nature at her finest.

Attachments

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Glad to see you post your magnificent work again. That Padauk has a “striking” tone- nothing quite like it besides being a gorgeous wood. Sad to see this will be the last though. But you have a lot to be proud of- and my bet people will appreciate this work a long time.
I left research on a high note in 2000. I joined this Research gate site and it gives you notices of citations of your work and values your work by these criteria with your peers. Still after almost two decades I still rank high with peers. It still has value and people notice it and cite it, makes me a bit proud of that effort.
Andy I know you will have the same gratification for years to come as people recognize your efforts.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to see you post your magnificent work again.
Thanks Art - I feel free to do so now, because there's absolutely zero foundation in accusation of "selling" on the forum. Whatever happens in the future, these are shells from the very last Tour series padauk drums ever to be produced. They'll all sell - as will all the remaining instruments - like 5 times over, so there's absolutely no advantage to be gained - there never was.

I left research on a high note in 2000. I joined this Research gate site and it gives you notices of citations of your work and values your work by these criteria with your peers. Still after almost two decades I still rank high with peers. It still has value and people notice it and cite it, makes me a bit proud of that effort.
That's fabulous to hear Art, & hopefully a similar feeling is the only thing making this regrettable process palatable :(

I'll miss the feeling of achievement every time I get to finish shells. Bringing natural beauty to life is such a special joy.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Thanks Art - I feel free to do so now, because there's absolutely zero foundation in accusation of "selling" on the forum. Whatever happens in the future, these are shells from the very last Tour series padauk drums ever to be produced. They'll all sell - as will all the remaining instruments - like 5 times over, so there's absolutely no advantage to be gained - there never was.

That's fabulous to hear Art, & hopefully a similar feeling is the only thing making this regrettable process palatable :(

I'll miss the feeling of achievement every time I get to finish shells. Bringing natural beauty to life is such a special joy.
Yeah I can relate I really miss research too-surprising to all as this hillbilly all my mentors told me I had a real gift for research-I was and am still astonished at such praise- I’m still a hillbilly ;) i took great joy in it too and still miss it. But I quit because “family” tops everything else (long story short) and I’m pretty sure it’s much the same reason you are doing the same. Which I think displays huge amounts of character. Not everyone appreciates it.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
How did you get the lava to flow in patches like that on your drums? That cant be good for the finish ;)

F'ing beautiful!!!

opentune

Platinum Member
Very nice.
Shellac differs from a urethane no?
Why do you use shellac? And 10 coats, how long to dry between coats?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
That’s beautiful! Looking forward to seeing them maybe in Manchester!
This little kit will be there Alain - if I can get it finished up in time.

Very nice.
Shellac differs from a urethane no?
Why do you use shellac? And 10 coats, how long to dry between coats?
Shellac (French polishing) is a traditional finishing method. Way more work compared to modern finishes such as polyurethane. On these shells, a total of 25 applications / coats are used, partly because of the grain filling needs of padauk. We find shellac (bleached - no colour) gives the most natural looking finish available, & features the beauty of the wood at it's best.

That color had been my favorite, since I first saw them. Just gorgeous.
Thanks - it's difficult to ignore :)

How did you get the lava to flow in patches like that on your drums? That cant be good for the finish ;)

F'ing beautiful!!!
Thank you. It gets a bit warm in the finishing shop ;)

Seems such a shame to hide all that work under a wrap, but purple glitter wins every time!
Y'know, I never thought of that. We'll do that on our next batch - oh wait ---------------

I like how the Paduak darkens. Fairly quickly too. Stunning work Andy.
Thanks Larry. I love the final deep red wine colour destination = classy.

I quit because “family” tops everything else
Yes, it really is that simple, but gut wrenching :(

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It's a god damn shame is what it is, the end of a magnificent era for the art of drum making. Everybody drink it up because the well is about to run dry.

Andy took such care of me, in every way really...all on his own whim. For instance while we were planning Yolanda, Andy's supplier just happened to get a lot of cabinet grade walnut in, and Andy just decided that's what he would to build it with. At extra cost to him that he did not pass on. It's dark, rich, beautiful iridescent walnut. Every time I uncase them...I'm gobsmacked.

If there should be a standing O for a man, Andy gets my vote.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
If there should be a standing O for a man, Andy gets my vote.
Thank you for your kind words Larry, but anything I do is steered by the inner selfishness of an absolute insistence on getting it the best it can be (except my playing, obviously). As for standing ovations, not a bit of it - there's 100,000 people ahead of me in that queue - like people who truly make a difference for example.

Gorgeous!!! What sizes are they?
20" x 14", 14" x 14", 10" x 8", & two 14" x 7" snares.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Update: Finished raw shells.

I decided to go old school semi gloss French polishing using multiple applications (30) of white (not actually white) shellac, sanding, & final finishing by "spiriting off". Technically, an inferior visual result compared to lacquer / poly & compound polishing, but somehow much more organic looking & tactile. It also preserves colours better than the full synthetic stuff too :)

Attachments