Most useable gear - what do you pick?

AJ3000

Silver Member
Ok another wonderfully hypothetical (sort of) listing exercise for you all.

I'm in the process of expanding my drum and cymbal collections so that I can cover all styles and sounds properly. Budget is definitely a constraint (because I think I could happily re-mortgage my house and spend it all on gear otherwise!) so I guess I'm looking for good quality, good value gear that would find its way into your arsenal to play various styles of music.

My collection so far is: a mapex meridian maple 12,14,16,22, a Yamaha rock tour mahogany 12,14,16,22, a Worldmax 14x6.5 beaded steel snare, an SJC 14x6 maple snare with re rings and die cast hoops, and mostly Sabian HHX or HH cymbals, with a few others thrown in.

The wish list (in total) I think should include a bop sized kit, something vintage, a birch kit (maybe with a 20" kick) some more snare and cymbal options, and I think the next thing on the list is a double bass drum acrylic kit (probably from drumcraft) plus anything else you can think would be useful.

Looking for a great sound, but balanced against price. I'm. It against used stuff either, provided its good stuff, interesting and sounds right.

This is mainly as a bit of fun, but with some research added in for me, as someone might pull out the most awesome idea that I haven't thought of!

Cheers people!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Can you buy a 20 inch bass drum to match what you have cheaper than a bop kit. You seem to have the rest of what you need.

AJ3000

Silver Member
Sadly no. Both finishes are discontinued, and the bop kit will be living in the studio almost permanently, only coming out 2-3 times a year when needed. Rest of the time it'll be for teaching and my son to play - he's 4, but can already paradiddle!!!

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Consolidate and get a vintage bop kit. A Ludwig or Slingerland 12/14/20 will rock your world. Don't get me started on snares and cymbals--you can never have too many of those!

larryz

Platinum Member
Consolidate and get a vintage bop kit. A Ludwig or Slingerland 12/14/20 will rock your world. Don't get me started on snares and cymbals--you can never have too many of those!
+2 with what Caddy said. Every drummer should have a vintage Ludwig kit. Go for the club date, a smaller bop sized kit. That "Great Ludwig sound!"