Most Underrated Snare Drums

So in the years I've enjoyed mostly perusing Drummerworld, I've gotten a pretty good sense of what my fellow drummers and percussionists like in snare drums, and what seems to be popular. For me the most underrated metal snare would be the Ludwig Bronze Supra in both smooth and hammered versions. On the wood side of things, I like most any of Pearl's maple shell line up, including my Master's Custom. While I've owned others, both cheaper, and more exotic, these l feel , are quite understated. What's your most underrated snare drum(s)?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
+ 1 on the Ludwig Supralite.

I'd also go one step farther than Supraman and say ANY Pearl snare drum. Wood or metal I've been impressed by every one I've heard or played.

Soulfinger

I'd also go one step farther than Supraman and say ANY Pearl snare drum. Wood or metal I've been impressed by every one I've heard or played.
Same here. Currently have three (steel, maple, brass), the most expensive of which was around 300,- new. Had a couple more that I sold on, but not because they were lacking. All killer instruments, great sound, quality workmanship.

Come to think of it, I never played a bad Tama snare either.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Me too. Thought I was gonna have to ditch the Midtown snare until I tuned and played it. Boy was I wrong. Good sensitivity all the way to the edge, nice pop, huge rimshot, even had a decent bit of ring to it. It's a bit weak on the cross stick, but it's a 13x5" and I don't do that much anyhow. I'm much happier with it than my Dynasonic. That snare is over-rated IMO.

gish

I played an old, used 6x14 Tama Rockstar steel snare at my local GC yesterday. Spent some time with it, played around with different tunings. This drum sounded every bit as good to my ear as the Pork Pie BOB that it was next to. $50; might go back and get it.

yammyfan

I'm curious to hear what everybody thinks of the Pearl Modern Utility maple snare. I have the 6.5x14 version but haven't used it in a year or so. I thought it sounded great - much better than expected.

My vote for the most underrated snare, however, goes to the 10 lug, current generation Yamaha Stage Custom steel snare, the SSS1465. Can't say enough good things about that drum. Good looking and well-made too.

I played an old, used 6x14 Tama Rockstar steel snare at my local GC yesterday. Spent some time with it, played around with different tunings. This drum sounded every bit as good to my ear as the Pork Pie BOB that it was next to. $50; might go back and get it.
Funny you should bring up the Rockstar snare by Tama. That was one of the snare drums that inspired me to ask this question here on the Forum . I remember playing one of those when I worked at a music store in the mid-1990s. It had great sound, tuning range, and a great ring to it. If I didn't have two steel snare drums, I would probably look one of those up on eBay. I thought it sounded better at the time than my Pearl World Series steel snare.

Me too. Thought I was gonna have to ditch the Midtown snare until I tuned and played it. Boy was I wrong. Good sensitivity all the way to the edge, nice pop, huge rimshot, even had a decent bit of ring to it. It's a bit weak on the cross stick, but it's a 13x5" and I don't do that much anyhow. I'm much happier with it than my Dynasonic. That snare is over-rated IMO.
I was considering buying one of the new wood Dynasonics. What didn't you like, and is it one of the new ones? Was it adjustment related?

Reactions: TJK

gish

Funny you should bring up the Rockstar snare by Tama. That was one of the snare drums that inspired me to ask this question here on the Forum . I remember playing one of those when I worked at a music store in the mid-1990s. It had great sound, tuning range, and a great ring to it. If I didn't have two steel snare drums, I would probably look one of those up on eBay. I thought it sounded better at the time than my Pearl World Series steel snare.
Yeah, I was kind of in disbelief with how well it compared to the Pork Pie (which I consider to be a great sounding snare at a nice price point). The Tama had an Evans HD dry with the vent holes; normally a great head for a cheap metal snare but I thought it killed the drum too much; I actually wanted to hear MORE ring because I really liked the ring I WAS hearing. I’m watching football today and back to work tomorrow; if it’s still there next weekend I’m going back for it.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I was considering buying one of the new wood Dynasonics. What didn't you like, and is it one of the new ones? Was it adjustment related?
It's an early 70s COB 5x14. It's a beautiful instrument esthetically. The previous owner removed the snare frame. It now sounds choked always, or has massive snare rattle. My opinion might be a little too biased on it, but short of buying a new frame for it, it's crap. Then I have to relearn snare settings for this one drum, and might not be happy with it anyhow. It might not work with my current stand either. I've heard some that sound great with the frame, but tuned much lower than I prefer. So short of a small investment and maybe some luck, I'm not happy with it sonically. It is beautiful though, but not worth the mind blowing price. That's why I feel it is over-rated. Too finicky, too expensive, too specialized.

My wife bought it for me in a package deal for next to nothing. I will never get rid of it because she gave it to me, but I also haven't put a stick to it since 2015 and really have no desire to do so.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The frame is integral to these drums. They have virtually no snare bed.

/Magnus
So I've heard. Makes me wonder why so many people removed them then? If it is because the frame is difficult to deal with, I count that as a strike against it. I would need a frame, new heads, and maybe a new stand to possibly find out I can't tune it the way I like my snares to sound. Not worth the cost. Thus, it's overrated. Besides, if it was THAT great, why has no other manufacturer followed suit?

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I bought the Supralite 13" snare last year and it immediately became my go to snare. I never knew that 13" snares could sound so great.

GeeDeeEmm