Most Under-rated Drummers

S

Stu_Strib

Finn, I sampled all those Amos tunes. I'll pass. His drumming on the John Mayer cd is great, but you gotta figure out which ones he is on, because its actually three drummers (?uestlove too!?)

Also, I believe he is the only drummer for the first two Sara Evans albums (if you don't hate female country).

I was astonished to find out, after hours of trying to figure out who was the drummer on a John Mayer track, a Sara Evans track, and the Wallflowers drummer, that its all the same guy! Probably why I like it.

As for Tori, well, I guess I'm not the right demographic, because I don't get anything she's singing. Like you said, she's got a good voice, but her songs might as well be in Swedish, because I have no clue what's going on! It reminds me of Jewel, but without the radio-friendly edge to it.

Stu

finnhiggins

GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!
Stu_Strib said:
Finn, I sampled all those Amos tunes. I'll pass. His drumming on the John Mayer cd is great, but you gotta figure out which ones he is on, because its actually three drummers (?uestlove too!?)
Heh, I can't stand John Mayer so I guess we're back on familiar ground by not agreeing on that one :) I think my feelings on the subject are best summed up by this article :)

I can quite understand you not being too keen on that Tori Amos stuff though, she's certainly an acquired taste - and not one I've entirely managed to acquire at that.

also, stagecustom: I write for the mag in question, and I initially made contact by getting the email address of the editor off my flatmate - he's a drummer too and runs one of the larger drum departments in New Zealand. He'd had contact with her over a clinic held in the shop. I saw the mag and decided I should try to get some stuff in there, so I pitched an idea for a hi-tech/contemporary type column and it ran from there. It's only a quarterly magazine, so it's not exactly a big part of my workload but it's fun to do - and hey, I may yet get to meet some kickass people, we'll see.

(Edit: It may have helped that I have a magazine journalism background, it's what I used to do...)

illy

JW89 said:
Patrick Wilson from Weezer is very under-rated, a lot of people think that he sucks, but ive seen them live a couple of times, and when he plays songs live he adds more complex drum fills

But dill X, back to what u said about larry mullen jr. i think that guy has to be pretty good, the stuff he plays on U2 albums is nothing special, but wasnt he tought by somebody who was considered to be the best drummer out of ireland? he has to be some what of a monster on the set.
a lot of people think he sucks?! why? his drumming fit the music so perfectly. he is a great drummer.

J

JW89

illy said:
a lot of people think he sucks?! why? his drumming fit the music so perfectly. he is a great drummer.
yea i know! people are crazy, i was at guitar center like a year ago, and i was talking to a couple of people about him, and they were like "no, hes garbage". I think hes really good.

Nick D Virgillio from Spock's Beard !!!
This guy should have his page on Drummerworld for a long time, Bernhard, what are you waiting ???

Just check out the concept album Snow and see the brilliance of his playing. All Spock's Beard album until Snow are amazing to me !

Larry Mullin Jr from U2 : Sunday Bloddy Sunday intro anyone ??

Igor Cavalera : his tribal thrash playing is just fabulous !

Van Williams from Nevermore : excellent metal playing !

Steven Adler from GNR on the Appetite Album : I need more Cowbell !!!!!

Pharrell Williams (yes the Neptunes Fella) he has an incredible pocket and groove, he started as a drummer FYI

Y

Ynnad101

stagecustom said:
?uestlove aka amhir thompson
personally i dont think ?love is under-rated at all, just ask anyone who listens to the roots and theyll tell u... and if they dont then its just a matter of letting them know that the beat is human!!! lol... wanna double check??? look at the MD 2005 reader's poll results, (july issue) and you'll find out, thats just only one of the reasons.

Or maybe its cuz i listen to roots alot!!! oh well...

Blue

I totally agree with this thread. I don't think I could keep such a groove on such songs and hold back on filling. They are very unselfish in this aspect, and as such, are great musicians.

To name a few:

The guy from MUSE: I think not only is he completely solid, but absolutely creative as well, putting in the perfect fills. I could never do that. I wish I could.

The guy from Coldplay I noticed too.

Nick Mason, I think his name is, the guy from Pink Floyd. although he did kind of let loose, he kept a very tight pocket on many-a-slow song.

If any of you guys listen to The Outlaws they have two great drummers I really like, David Dix and Monte Yoho. Not really known but neither are the Outlaws so that’s probably why... check them out on The Outlaws Bring it Back Alive live album... good stuff (along the lines of Skynard and Allmon Bros)

Also, I’m not sure if he's considered underrated but Dave Abbruzzese of Pearl Jam is sick. Great great feel. You can tell by the little subtleties in his beats that he’s bored with standard rock beats, his SNL performances are a good example. I haven't heard any of his work outside of Pearl Jam, any body know what its like?

Also... I just wanna say, Jimmy Chamberlin, who I guess is fairly well known (of The Smashing Pumpkins) has some sick fills on their track Geek U.S.A. (good song too, check it out)

Ok, I'm done

Dannar

Pioneer Member
Matt Abts from Gov't Mule is the most under-rated drummer I have ever seen. The man is incredible. His grooves, his technique, everything about his drumming is perfect. The only problem is, I haven't seen one other person mention him on this board!! Gov't Mule is a fairly unheard of band, its sort of a more focused and heavier version of the Allman Brothers. Very similar to Cream, Zeppelin, Mountain, and other great rock bands of the 60's, and 70's. I can highly recomend them to anyone who enjoys good ol rock bands. CHECK'EM OUT!!!!!!!!!

George Recile is also really good, he currently plays for Bob Dylan. He played for James Brown at one point, but he too is amazing. Check him out too!!

D

devilfish

In my opinion, Ty Dennis of Riders of the Storm (formerly The Doors and D21C), Scott Phillips of Creed and now Altar Bridge (his fills and ghost notes are awesome along with his HH slurs to compliment the other things he's doing), Dena Tauriello of Antigone Rising (she's a very strong drummer), My uncle (who can't read music but can play anything by anyone just off of a CD or the radio), the U2 drummer (I'll agree with that), the drummer for The Killers (he has such technique and timing, he's awesome), and the drummer for Coldplay too.

Cheers!

S

Stu_Strib

Dannar said:
Matt Abts from Gov't Mule is the most under-rated drummer I have ever seen.
Thank you. I've always wonder who he was. Along those lines, the drummer for O.A.R. (don't know who he is though), the drummer(s) for Mandalin Jazz (orchestra?). Finally the drummer for Keb' Mo'

Stu

Superlow

Pioneer Member
The drummer from Mr. Bungle is pretty underrated, Danny Heifetz (spelling). He is sick, anyone who can keep up with as many genres and just craziness the rest of the band puts out is insane in my opinion. Matt Johnson who played with Jeff Buckley Is pretty underrated. I recommend to any rock fan to pick up His Album Grace. Very unique drumming for rock music.

Tyrnox

Pioneer Member
I personally think Jason Rullo of symphony X is an underated drummer, he's incredible yet not much people know of him, or the band.

drumzalicious

Pioneer Member
Calvin Napper - the songs i have heard him play he is pocket the whole time with maybe one or two licks that just make you rewind.
Calvin Rodgers - when he plays most people just hear the groove, i recently got ahold of a clip of him soloing and it was rediculous. his timing is almost perfect, you hear the subdivisions so clearly in his fills it's like a drum machine.
Gerald Heyward - this guy hardly played a fill till the end of Beyonce's DVD the whole concert you heard pocket then out of nowhere he just ripped

finnhiggins

GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!
Superlow said:
The drummer from Mr. Bungle is pretty underrated, Danny Heifetz (spelling). He is sick, anyone who can keep up with as many genres and just craziness the rest of the band puts out is insane in my opinion. Matt Johnson who played with Jeff Buckley Is pretty underrated. I recommend to any rock fan to pick up His Album Grace. Very unique drumming for rock music.
Hell, you can come visit my house anytime :) I like your calls. Danny Heifetz is great, but if you're going to mention him you also have to get William Winant in there, they work so well together - probably the most creative drummer/percussionist pair I can think of.