Most influential drummers of the past 20 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about those who has changed the game and helped pushing forward the drum movement (not just "skilled" players, but drummers who left their mark).
This is my list (tell me what do you think about it and post yours if you want):

Jojo Mayer
John Blackwell
Keith Carlock
Billy Martin
Dafnis Prieto
Mark Guiliana
Nate Smith
Eric Harland
Marcus Gilmore
Chris Dave
Deantoni Parks
Johnathan Blake
Zach Hill
Jeff Ballard
Dave King
Louis Cole
Gavin Harrison
Marco Minneman
Stanton Moore
Henry Cole
Zach Danziger
Nate Wood
Gergo Borlai
Danny Carey
Josh Freese
Greg Fox
Brian Chippendale
Robert Sput Searight
Greg Saunier
Benny Greb

Hewitt2

Nice list. A few more:

- Aaron Spears. Credited with being one of the first to bring the "gospel chops" approach to the masses
- Matt Garstka. Pushing the boundaries of uber-technical metal/progressive drumming and insane odd-time signatures

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Hate to admit, but I recognize only about half of those names, and know what just a few of them do. :(

I need to do a little exploring while I'm hanging around the house! :)

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Hate to admit, but I recognize only about half of those names, and know what just a few of them do. :(

I need to do a little exploring while I'm hanging around the house! :)
You better get to know them, their band might release a song that hits it big, and you end up having to learn some insane drum part.

speaking of that, what’s the hardest drum part you’ve ever played with Al?

MntnMan62

You better get to know them, their band might release a song that hits it big, and you end up having to learn some insane drum part.

speaking of that, what’s the hardest drum part you’ve ever played with Al?
Don't hijack the thread man. If you want to know the answer to your question, create a new thread.

Nice list. A few more:

- Aaron Spears. Credited with being one of the first to bring the "gospel chops" approach to the masses
- Matt Garstka. Pushing the boundaries of uber-technical metal/progressive drumming and insane odd-time signatures
I intentionally left out of the list drummers like Aaron Spears, Ronald Bruner Jr. and Thomas Pridgen because they didn't left a mark on the "scene" other than while they were on tour....i know that we could say the same thing even for some of the drummers on my list....BUT if you take a look at a drummer like Gergo Borlai you can see immediately his uniqueness, in its musical genre is probably the only one that is so innovative...can we say the same thing about Spears, Pridgen and Bruner Jr? As for Garstka, i must admit i never paid too much attention to him (only because i'm not a fan of metal).

Macarina

Silver Member
I'm talking about those who has changed the game and helped pushing forward the drum movement (not just "skilled" players, but drummers who left their mark).
This is my list (tell me what do you think about it and post yours if you want):

Jojo Mayer
John Blackwell
Keith Carlock
Billy Martin
Dafnis Prieto
Mark Guiliana
Nate Smith
Eric Harland
Marcus Gilmore
Chris Dave
Deantoni Parks
Johnathan Blake
Zach Hill
Jeff Ballard
Dave King
Louis Cole
Gavin Harrison
Marco Minneman
Stanton Moore
Henry Cole
Zach Danziger
Nate Wood
Gergo Borlai
Danny Carey
Josh Freese
Greg Fox
Brian Chippendale
Robert Sput Searight
Greg Saunier
Benny Greb
It would be helpful tell us who they are and what they did to change the game.
Otherwise this is just a list of names.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I would add:

Gene Hogland
Derek Roddy
Frost
- for some upper level speed, and development of blast beats (adding to what Charlie Benanate pioneered in the 80's)

C.M. Jones

The more I ponder the question, the more I conclude that a great drummer leaves his mark by going entirely unnoticed. It's not my goal to negate the theme of this thread, as the discussion does have merit. I merely believe that drumming is an ambient pursuit, one designed to blend rather than to stand out. To me, pinpointing influential bands is more relevant than isolating compelling drummers.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Carter McLean. --

Out of all the drummers doing youtube, and all the Drumeo type educational videos....
I've learned more about drumming from Carter's expositional videos than I have anything else combine.

A quick plug for Bill Bachman as well. That man singlehandedly fixed my hands/grip/doublestroke for about ~$40. I imagine others have found the same.

flamateurhour

Jon Theodore: I think his work with The Mars Volta and Queens of the Stone Age warrants a mention
Questlove: is he more of a 90's cat? I figure he squeaks by and is from the same era as some of those mentioned.
Cobus Potgieter: Many would argue that he was the OG drum cover guy
Annika Niles: at the helm of the instagram drummer movement, also a massive influence to a new generation of female drummers
Jared Faulk: love or hate his drumming, if you search "drum lesson" in youtube, he's the host of 70% of results and therefore probably has influenced a staggaring amount of drummers.
Anderson Paak: First A-list drumming frontman in a very long time. Household name in the hip-hop/r&b circles

Came to comment Carter McLean as well, left the thread to make a post elsewhere, and then KamaK beat me to it lol. That dude is badass.

Carter McLean. --

Out of all the drummers doing youtube, and all the Drumeo type educational videos....
I've learned more about drumming from Carter's expositional videos than I have anything else combine.

A quick plug for Bill Bachman as well. That man singlehandedly fixed my hands/grip/doublestroke for about ~$40. I imagine others have found the same.
I don't know who is Carter McLean, but that's not the point. There are hundreds of amazing drummers out there but in the end only a small percentage will be remembered for leaving their mark, and one who is known only for being a great teacher i don't think will be remembered as one of the greats.
What he has accomplished in his career other than being great in the educational videos? Has he played with some big/historic names of the music business? (i mean...those who have made history). Did he take part in records that will be remembered in history?
An example: you could be technically great, but if as a touring or studio musician you are not on the A-list of some "big names" there must be a reason, Thomas Lang is the perfect example of what i'm saying.
The ones on the list i made who don't belong in this category at least stand out for their originality and creativity, with that being said I don't want to belittle this drummer's skills.

Last edited:
It would be helpful tell us who they are and what they did to change the game.
Otherwise this is just a list of names.
If it's just a list of names i feel sorry for you, you have missed tons of GREAT drummers in the past 20 years. You can find tons of articles and videos on the web about these drummers, google is your friend.

Jon Theodore: I think his work with The Mars Volta and Queens of the Stone Age warrants a mention
Questlove: is he more of a 90's cat? I figure he squeaks by and is from the same era as some of those mentioned.
Cobus Potgieter: Many would argue that he was the OG drum cover guy
Annika Niles: at the helm of the instagram drummer movement, also a massive influence to a new generation of female drummers
Jared Faulk: love or hate his drumming, if you search "drum lesson" in youtube, he's the host of 70% of results and therefore probably has influenced a staggaring amount of drummers.
Anderson Paak: First A-list drumming frontman in a very long time. Household name in the hip-hop/r&b circles

Came to comment Carter McLean as well, left the thread to make a post elsewhere, and then KamaK beat me to it lol. That dude is badass.
What i wrote about McLean in one of the previous post also applies to the other drummers from youtube/instagram ecc.
Jon Theodore should be on the list for his work with TMV more than his recent work with Qotsa, Questlove in my opinion is an average drummer to say the least, and i don't think Anderson Paak will be remembered amongst the most influential drummers of the first 20 years of the 3rd millennium and here's the reason why: from a technical stylistic point of view, did he create something new? did he develop something already existing in an original way? the answer to both questions is a big NO. He surely will be remembered for his records, but not as one of the most original and influential drummers. (Just my two cent on your list ;))

KamaK

Platinum Member
I don't know who is Carter McLean, but that's not the point.

What he has accomplished in his career other than being great in the educational videos? Has he played with some big/historic names of the music business? (i mean...those who have made history). Did he take part in records that will be remembered in history?
Carter is the drummer for Lion King on broadway, and plays with the Charlie Hunter Trio. While he does have an educational site, I've only watched his expositions on youtube. I recommend giving him a look, as he's changed a lot of lives.

bigbang

Pioneer Member
I guess I'll go with the obvious ones :
Dave grohl
Travis Barker
Carter Beauford
and probably that little dude from slipknot ,name escapes me

Hewitt2

What i wrote about McLean in one of the previous post also applies to the other drummers from youtube/instagram ecc.
Jon Theodore should be on the list for his work with TMV more than his recent work with Qotsa, Questlove in my opinion is an average drummer to say the least, and i don't think Anderson Paak will be remembered amongst the most influential drummers of the first 20 years of the 3rd millennium and here's the reason why: from a technical stylistic point of view, did he create something new? did he develop something already existing in an original way? the answer to both questions is a big NO. He surely will be remembered for his records, but not as one of the most original and influential drummers. (Just my two cent on your list ;))
"Questlove is an average drummer to say the least."

I'm not sure what you've listened to but he pretty much defined breakbeat drumming. He played on and produced seminal albums like D'Angelo's Voodoo. He is most definitely not an average drummer.

"Questlove is an average drummer to say the least."

I'm not sure what you've listened to but he pretty much defined breakbeat drumming. He played on and produced seminal albums like D'Angelo's Voodoo. He is most definitely not an average drummer.
I don't question his skills as producer, but playing an instrument is a completely different thing
I've listened to most of the black music of the past 30 years, and i know that Karriem Riggins should be credited for defining the breakbeat drumming.

Status
Not open for further replies.