Most impressionable bar band.

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
3 for me. 1..The Wumblies with drummer Randy Castillo (no longer with us) who went on to play with Ozzie. 2..Zero Ted with drummer Mark Craney (no longer with us) went on to record with Jean Lucponty..Jethro Tull..Gino Vinelli. Best bar band I've ever heard was Sylvester who I have no idea what they are doing..most likely nothing. Any musicians you've seen in a local club gone on to record with a major artist?.

Sting/Gordon. Lol.

As a now faded 90s arena performer you can still see Pat Travers at small places. In the 90s that was the best bar band seen and still is. A power trio. No idea who the drummer was.

There's a band from Birmingham (AL) called the Velcro Pygmies that had every bit of show in the 90s that Dread Zeppelin did doing small houses.

Last edited:
Ive seen Cheap Trick, The Winery Dogs, and The Black Crowes all in bars. I personally wouldnt consider them as the best "bar band" or any bar band that has a pro or pro musicians in the band though, but thats just me. When I think "bar band" im thinking local musicians doing cover tunes, but again thats just me. Two bands come to mind for me. Nemesis Theory was a hard rock and metal band that was local for me when I lived in Mchenry Co. Il. Theres videos on YouTube of them if anyone is interested in checking them out. Theres a band up here in the U.P of MI that I quite enjoy. They have great musicians, they do great covers, and very well. They're called "OZ". Also on YouTube if anybody is interested in checking them out. Im pretty sure they're tagged as "oz the band" on the net.

SRV, Chris Layton, Tommy Shannon.

I regret not seeing him. At the same time while I did like some of his songs, I wasn't as enthusiastic about that genre at the time.

I regret not seeing him. At the same time while I did like some of his songs, I wasn't as enthusiastic about that genre at the time.
Ya i agree…the double trouble songs have grown on me over time. But when i saw them, it was very early on, and all i really remember was them covering Hendrix songs. 3rd stone from the sun and Voodoo Child. I was mesmerized. I just kept scratching my head, what’s this srv dude doing in this bar? Lol.

Ya i agree…the double trouble songs have grown on me over time. But when i saw them, it was very early on, and all i really remember was them covering Hendrix songs. 3rd stone from the sun and Voodoo Child. I was mesmerized. I just kept scratching my head, what’s this srv dude doing in this bar? Lol.

That's become such a staple today. Last night I did a gig with a medley of Voodoo Chile, Who Knows, Third Stone, Machinegun. The guitarist is a monster player. You want some Santana tones? He's gottem. Iommi? Check.

IDK, I don't think I've ever made an impression on a bar band. I've seen a couple of impressive bands in bars, though. 😉

Top performance I've ever seen in a bar has to be Soul Asylum. Never have I experienced such power unleashed in a bar. I didn't really know what they looked like, although I had one of their albums, and it turns out Dave Pirner was sitting right down the bar from me having a drink. Then they got onstage and absolutely blew the the place apart.

I also saw Guns and Roses at a bar - well, a club, really - just before Appetite was released. They were good. 😊

Opie gone bad out of Colorado who I listened to at The Ranch bowl in Omaha Nebraska were fire. Like a Chili peppers on nitrous. Original drummer though. To me their first CD was a labels dream but they went nowhere...never understand it.

Big Sugar, around the time they started to make it big here in Canada. Saw them a couple of times in a small venue and, man, did they almost blow the roof off the place each time.

Years ago at a local Salt Lake City bar I saw the 'Metal Gods' 80s rock cover band. They played there every Thursday night for years. I believe the Metal Gods was kind of a group from a Vegas-based talent agency. I think the agency had a roster of players who could do the gig, so every now and then there would be a different person playing in the band that week.
Anyway, one week the fill-in drummer was none other than Ray Luzier. I was probably the only one in the bar who realized who he was, but I was excited and surprised to see him. He's a great drummer.

Years ago at a local Salt Lake City bar I saw the 'Metal Gods' 80s rock cover band. They played there every Thursday night for years. I believe the Metal Gods was kind of a group from a Vegas-based talent agency. I think the agency had a roster of players who could do the gig, so every now and then there would be a different person playing in the band that week.
Anyway, one week the fill-in drummer was none other than Ray Luzier. I was probably the only one in the bar who realized who he was, but I was excited and surprised to see him. He's a great drummer.
Did you talk with Ray?. Cool that you recognized him. He definitely IS perty gosh dern good.

Nice!

In the late 80s I saw a band at a bar in Houston…Kings X. The drummer was Jerry Gaskill and he was GREAT…fast forward a bunch of years and D Pinnick formed a new band named KXM with Ray Luzier on drums. I love that Noises in the Sky song.

Back