Most beautiful drum tracks??

SomeBadDrummer

EDIT: Beauty is in the ear of the beholder...so what is beautiful to one might be most unappealing to another.

Politics and personalities aside, I think this song has a beautifully integral drum track.

While this one is simply groovy

And this one builds to a climactic finish

Last edited:

SomeBadDrummer

The balance of the somber and the superlative in this always gets me... Overplayed or not, timeless imo.

GREAT song...and as Monk always said "Don't be a Garfunkel"

SVBJECT

Almost everything Xerath have ever done - but this song in particular, right mix of in your face while supporting the band, keeping time while exploring and being exciting. Very different to most of the above listings.

Last album I was totally blown away by the drumming, and I can't really explain it because the drumming's nothing special (I'll repeat that, really nothing special), but its just so....perfect! Is Rammstein's 2019 album, "Rammstein". It's not like I've ever heard them and thought they were less than 100% in time before, I mean hell they have to choreograph their entire show to the click so they don't set themselves on fire, but this album just somehow feels 105% in time, dunno what it is, if its the drummer or the rest of the band or what.

Sebenza

I guess beautiful can mean many things to many people, but the drumming on this track is certainly beautiful to me...

Spreggy

Silver Member
Credit for the drummer?
They list three drummers on that album: Jeff Ballard, Brian Blade, and Questlove. My guess is Blade, sounds open like his style. Could argue the other two though.

Yamaha Rider

TIL!
I had no idea Marvin played drums on any of his own stuff, once he started finally scoring hits, and always thought it was a shame, if an understandable one (when you've got the likes of Pistol Allen, Uriel Jones and Leon "Ndugu" Chancler, why wouldn't you have them play?).
I can think of a good reason to play your own drums - they can become integral to the songwriting process.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Not a jazz tune but I think JRs playing on this track qualifies.
Definitely! The Black Beauty rimshot snare work (that I recently found out he did while bored between takes & the engineer recorded it, then used it), is just gold.

I for one find beauty in many of Neil Peart's work. Especially the complex, compositions where his 4-way independance is on clear display.
Songs like Mystic Rhythms, Time Stand Still & Subdivisions just bring happiness to my heart.

Drums are very overlooked as being "musical" as many just think they're noise. Yet if you really listen to the tunings & colors, that beauty comes alive.

This track comes right to mind with Vernel Fournier on drums:

Spreggy

Silver Member
Speaking of Manu, who fits in this thread for having a particularly elegant voice on the drum set at all times. Actually two great drum performances in one song here; Manu on kit and Tony Levin on the bass with his drumsticky finger things:

I can think of a good reason to play your own drums - they can become integral to the songwriting process.
That is an absolutely fabulous point. And in the abstract I agree. The counter-argument, in this exact case, is that Marvin (I believe) rarely did once he became a singer, and went on to write and record What's Going On and Let's Get It On and Here My Dear and so on and so forth.

Yamaha Rider

Speaking of Manu, who fits in this thread for having a particularly elegant voice on the drum set at all times. Actually two great drum performances in one song here; Manu on kit and Tony Levin on the bass with his drumsticky finger things:
[/QUOTE

If I hadn't seen the drumsticky finger things I'd never have believed they could exist.

Spreggy

Silver Member
Not to beat a dead horse here but man the pocket is so deep here at 3:14. And I love the way Tony's ears are glued to his drummer and keys, pegging everything. Check out just a couple lines. They're so together it's like an impenetrable wall of awesome.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Lest we forget that great Two Princes drum intro by Aaron Comess of the Spin Doctors. His poppy, piccolo snare just gets that song going.
Some don't get the point, but those of us who know...know. ;)