More ride cymbal help...calling Meinl owners!

maddrummr

Platinum Member
So here I am, once again, deciding on ride cymbals. I had come across the 22" Meinl Extra Dry Ride and the 21" Byzance Dark Ride on Cymbals only and I really dig the sound of them. Does anybody have any first hand experience with these cymbals? I am quite curious seeing as I am not very familiar with Meinl's stuff. Also, suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm looking for a dark ride with dry qualities but not "pingy". My budget is around $350 and I'm open to any brand and I generally would like a ride larger than 20 inches because I plan to buy a crash/ride in the future in that size.

Thanks!

guidrummer

That 21" Byzance dark is a great all around dark ride with good stick definition.

Meinl just anounced a Byzance Dark Raw Bell Ride 20" that they are releasing at NAMM next week. For now, it looks like 20" is the only size. Tony at cymbalsonly will most likely get this ride when it's available.

willieboy_sf

I don't know whether you play jazz, but if you do, the Meinl Byzance Jazz flat rides are amazing. They come in 20" and 22", with and without rivets. I have the 20", and it is the most musical cymbal that I own, and I own some great cymbals.

maddrummr

Platinum Member
Thanks for the responses. I play jazz but not often enough. I doooo love the sound of flat rides and I may purchase one sometime in my life, but not as a primary ride. Right now I'm hoping to buy a primary ride (I'm trying to replace all of my ZBT's) and unfortunately thats all I have money for.

Raw Bell? Hrm...While listening a bit more I am leaning torwards the 21" Dark because, well, it is darker. But I like the bell on the 22" quite a bit more than the 21". I really am strongly leaning torwards a bigger cymbal but I might have to just wait till I hear that new pie you speak of.

maddrummr

Platinum Member
The sand ride was actually one model my local GC actually had. I might have tried a bad model or something because I nearly hated the thing. It just sounded...yucky. The recordings on cymbalsonly sound much better...so maybe my Guitar Center just got screwed a little.

maddrummr

Platinum Member
Yes yes it would. Unfortunately its outside my price range. If I could spare the cash I would definitely consider purchasing the OM, But next year I'm a college student...so I should be saving my money anyways.

shrink

im not sure what ride pricing is like over where you are... but i just picked up a brand new 21" Zildjian Armand Ride for £205 UK (cant be more than $360) and its absolutely stunning. Shimmering ride with great stick definition, and a lovely roary dark crash sound. I absolutely adore it.

RMS

I'm using a Byzance 21" Dark ride and I love it. It's very dry, too. Easy to control.

RMS

Here's my current band: www.myspace.com/thenightowls2
I didn't yet have my Byzance ride when we recorded those. I think I used a 20" Hand-Hammered flat ride.
Live, I was using a 20" K jazz ride but it would build up a lot of wash if I wasn't careful. To me, the 21" Byzance Dark is a nice combination of dark and dry, and it doesn't build up unless I want it to. Meaning, it's more forgiving of my sloppy playing! :)

maddrummr

Platinum Member
Mhmm for this ride (Its my hopeful primary ride) I really don't want a "wall of sound" type of thing going when I nudge this thing. Dry and dark is what I want, nothing really "sweet" that I tend to hear from the Zildjian A's.

maddrummr

Platinum Member
Yeah, when you crash that ride though I feel there is a lot of sustain. I'm not really looking for that at this moment (I want that in more of a secondary ride/crash). I think I want something with shorter sustain and slightly more trashy qualities than brilliance.

Steamer

Platinum Member
Yeah, when you crash that ride though I feel there is a lot of sustain. I'm not really looking for that at this moment (I want that in more of a secondary ride/crash). I think I want something with shorter sustain and slightly more trashy qualities than brilliance.
Look around for a nice thin Agop Turk Jazz ride too. Great stick click and nice smokey trashy wash and a quick rich sounding crash. Still think the new 22" OM is your best bet at present if you can find one a bit cheaper on the used market in your budget. Same applies to a nice Turk Jazz ride too at a good price.

Here's a good site that updates daily on new and used Agops on the market from a variety of sources. Keep your eyes peeled for a deal....

http://www2.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?itm=istanbul&cat=mus&pgs=100

maddrummr

Platinum Member
Yeah I think the Agop Turks are the point where I feel there is too much trash. Thanks for that site... I will be sure to check regularly... There are some good deals going on.

massdrum

I have played the 22" Extra Dry ride. It's a good sounding ride - Its very dark and trashy, but there is quite a bit of spread to it. I also felt that the bell didn't have enough distinction from the rest of the cymbal.

I own a Sand Ride, and its a great sounding cymbal. It sounds exactly as advertised - huge wall if you crash it, defined if you use the bead, strong bell that is integrated but not TOO much. Its dark but not too dark. But its not bright by any means, either.

Another cymbal I'd recommend is the 21" Zildjian K Custom Special Dry ride. Very dark, very controlled but in a good way.

maddrummr

Platinum Member
Thanks for the suggestion. One of the local Guitar Centers around might have one in stock...they usually have a fair amount of Zildjians.

maddrummr

Platinum Member
Well this has surely been a nice turn of events. I checked up the web site recommended by Steamer and found a great deal on a 22" Bosphorus Turk. Only $200! I realized that I have college next year...so saving money wouldn't be a bad thing. Pics when it arrives!