More info about the decline in live gigs.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
There have been some discussions about the lack of gigs for live bands these days. I commented that there a lot more gigs for acoustic, jazz and 'alternative' acts where I live. Today I saw one of the reasons why. The liquor licensing board has been issuing entertainment licenses like this to pubs and bars. Great if you're a Gregorian chant group or a gypsy violinist, not so good for rock bands...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 445
Its a joke. Looks like some local councilor knocked it up after some Colonel Blimp type complained.

It opens a huge can of worms regarding music genres. Funk is not in, but Jazz is. What if you play Jazz Funk?

They will need someone with extensive musical knowledge to Police the pubs and try to define what is being played.

The local bands just need to tell the person booking them that the play Free Jazz. If management complain on the night ask them to define the genre.

Well blues and country cover a lot of ground.

And if you're playing live music, it seems that in Australia everything between the poppiest pop and death metal gets labeled as 'alt country', so hey, it's all country.

"We like both kinds of music...country and western!"

Not a joke I'm afraid. This page came from the SA Music Industry Association, who are making applications to the State Govt. at the moment. This contract is being entered as evidence of prejudice and restrictive practices.

A local Irish Pub got fined recently because a DJ played non-Irish music, contrary to their license. Another venue in Adelaide is only allowed to have harp or digeridoo music. (Really!)

This does partially explain the resurgence in Folk, Blues, Jazz and Latin gigs around town. Which is good for diversity I guess. I wonder if you can argue that a Led Zep tribute act is "Religious and Devotional" ?

If that list were up in my town, first thing I'd do is claim religious discrimination since our music derives from the Satanic tradition (or so I would say). Seems to hold up in court every time religious monuments go up in the public square.

Only downside is then nobody gets to play.

Get a banjo player and call your music Dixieland

Ha!

Or just put the banjo on stage. Don't even need to use it.

In fact, just fill the whole stage with lots of different kind of instruments that you don't use. Tuba, upright bass, violin, accordion, etc.

Pretty funny. I don't believe it's real, but it's funny. To include "christian music" and then disallow "rock" is contradictory, and implies that the lyrical content is more important than the song type or form. Gotta be fake.

Pretty funny. I don't believe it's real, but it's funny. To include "christian music" and then disallow "rock" is contradictory, and implies that the lyrical content is more important than the song type or form. Gotta be fake.

Definitely WAS real (see the link a few posts up) but these kinds of restrictions were lifted this week by the state govt. taking certain powers away from the licensing board. In some ways this reminds me of the British radio laws in the 60's that led to offshore pirate radio stations. The sort of thing the Goodies or Monty Python would use as material for sketches.

Classic Adelaide, the most conservative city in Australia. At least we've got the fat controller opening up, which if you haven't heard of should be bringing quite a good deal of live music, hopefully a bit of local too and not just the big national acts they've got lined up for the first month since opening. Wouldn't mind a gig there with my band!

Definitely WAS real (see the link a few posts up) but these kinds of restrictions were lifted this week by the state govt. taking certain powers away from the licensing board. In some ways this reminds me of the British radio laws in the 60's that led to offshore pirate radio stations. The sort of thing the Goodies or Monty Python would use as material for sketches.

I'm still not really convinced, but if that was real, even a little. I'm blown away. It reminds me a lot of some the blatantly racist or otherwise inappropriate laws we had "back in the day", and is clearly designed to drive away a certain type of person; eg: you can't wear ratty clothes in this part of town, or this type of "insert religious icon" is illegal in this town. Either that, or the type of law you'd get if a nasty curmudgeon of a little old man were given the ability to make his preferences into law.

Kinda scary, to say the least. I'm proud to know that if anything like that went down in my area, it would be violently stamped down, basically immediately. Exclusion laws are wrong.

I wonder if a combination would be allowed...
Maybe medieval calypso?

There have been some discussions about the lack of gigs for live bands these days. I commented that there a lot more gigs for acoustic, jazz and 'alternative' acts where I live.

Article in December "Vanity Fair" magazine says jazz is the new hot ticket!;)

Back