More double bass news

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
DC7D7DF6-EA1B-4D52-9EE6-079FA90957A2.jpeg
So, as happy as I am with this double bass process, as a singing drummer I’m not sure I like the two toms up top as they have to be fairly high to clear the height of the 24” bass drum - so I’m debating going back to one tom. Also, and this is big news, I found a guy who was selling a matching Rogers 14x24 bass drum shell for $80 with the hoops! All I have to do is plug holes, maybe have the bearing edges re-cut, then re-wrap in black! So a new project is born to have identical double bass drums. This means I’ll have to jettison my 22” since all that hardware will go in the new shell, but having the 22 and 24 next to each other for comparison, the 24” just sounds better (both have identical heads), and has been the size I’ve been using when I go out with a single bass drum. So give me a couple of weeks and both bass drums will match!

Exciting times ahead!

Won’t even one mounted tom block your vision/view? Especially with 2x24” ?

No, no, no it looks like a cyclops now-you'll have to dress up like Odysseus to play it like that-you slew it.

In your first picture it looks like your smaller bass drum is on your right and supports your smaller tom. What if you switched the two bass drums so the larger one is on your right and it supports your smaller tom. Then would you be able to move both toms down an inch or two?

In your first picture it looks like your smaller bass drum is on your right and supports your smaller tom. What if you switched the two bass drums so the larger one is on your right and it supports your smaller tom. Then would you be able to move both toms down an inch or two?
I had thought of that but the 24” sounds really good and since it’s the one played the most....

Don’t get me wrong, the 22” sounds great, but the 24” really gives you more low end oomph that just makes it cooler - it might be these Rogers shells because I’ve had other 24s and they didn’t make me say “I just play this size”. This Rogers does make me say that.

OR - maybe I’ll find a set of Roto-Toms (10/12/14/16/18) - that would be cool, but will put a definite crimp on the budget, let alone losing the easy-going nature of transporting it all around.

OR - maybe I’ll find a set of Roto-Toms (10/12/14/16/18) - that would be cool, but will put a definite crimp on the budget, let alone losing the easy-going nature of transporting it all around.

I played with the idea of using rototoms as well. All the way from 6" to 18", but 16 and 18" are hard to come by these days. I do spot those on eBay and other sites, but since they're fairly rare you pay a lot. Did spot Thomann's house brand Millenium offer a set of 12 & 14 rototoms and a single 16" too.
But i'm afraid i will miss the full sound of of a dual headed tom, but in an odd way this is very appealing

(Mental Hopscotsch groove near the end with some nice roto action in there)

I played with the idea of using rototoms as well. All the way from 6" to 18", but 16 and 18" are hard to come by these days. I do spot those on eBay and other sites, but since they're fairly rare you pay a lot. Did spot Thomann's house brand Millenium offer a set of 12 & 14 rototoms and a single 16" too.
But i'm afraid i will miss the full sound of of a dual headed tom, but in an odd way this is very appealing

(Mental Hopscotsch groove near the end with some nice roto action in there)
And if you look, you’ll see Ken Scott’s choice for tom microphone. Ken Scott wrote a chapter in his book about his experience recording and producing Missing Persons. Scott was very hopeful the band would become big, but the band canceled their contract with him. Bozzio added a paragraph in the book lamenting his decision to leave the relationship, that Scott’s commitment to them was stronger than anything they had after they left him.

Reactions: iCe
I admire your commitment to torturing yourself with the schlep.
Yeah moving all that kit around for local small band small audience gigs I just don't get it. I've seen pics of Bo's gear packed up and he has a cart I think, but geez, it ain't no touring gig playing for thousands of people. And most of those mall parking lot gigs the audience is just groovin' for a few minutes to "Mustang Sally" in-between stores they are not paying any attention to drums. They hear the 2&4 snare and that's about it. They hear they don't really listen. I play similar gigs and sometimes I don't even bring a floor tom. In a regular 2x monthly jazz gig at a wine bar last year I just used a DW pancake kick, snare, and ride and everybody loved it. Right now I'm working with a jazz trio and I can't play soft enough. But also working with a loud blues band with heavy kick drum sound (think Howlin' "Smokestack Lightning", ZZ Top, SRV, etc.) but still I only use 1 18" kick/ rack tom/ floor tom (and that's always optional)/snare/hats/ride/crash.

I guess Bo's idea of "easy going" and my idea of easy are in different universes lol.

heads?

You g'head Bo! As long as you're having fun it's cool. (y)
Yup. The fun is key. To increase my fun I lightened the load, use thinner shells to reduce weight, lighter weight stands, etc. Lighter and less items. Makes it more fun for me and I don't worry as much or need to prepare as much for logistics of gigs.

Yeah moving all that kit around for local small band small audience gigs I just don't get it. I've seen pics of Bo's gear packed up and he has a cart I think, but geez, it ain't no touring gig playing for thousands of people. And most of those mall parking lot gigs the audience is just groovin' for a few minutes to "Mustang Sally" in-between stores they are not paying any attention to drums. They hear the 2&4 snare and that's about it. They hear they don't really listen. I play similar gigs and sometimes I don't even bring a floor tom. In a regular 2x monthly jazz gig at a wine bar last year I just used a DW pancake kick, snare, and ride and everybody loved it. Right now I'm working with a jazz trio and I can't play soft enough. But also working with a loud blues band with heavy kick drum sound (think Howlin' "Smokestack Lightning", ZZ Top, SRV, etc.) but still I only use 1 18" kick/ rack tom/ floor tom (and that's always optional)/snare/hats/ride/crash.

I guess Bo's idea of "easy going" and my idea of easy are in different universes lol.
Ya, I get it because it's a blast, and with that bigass set of awesome Rogers drums, it's got to be double the fun quotient. But if I ever went out with more than one, it would be on a theater or arena gig with stagehands.
After 3 or more new threads on same kit just different topics (toms, stands, kicks) I hope it's short lived lol.
LOL! Aw come on...don't you love seeing that set? I mean, hey, the guy clearly should have gotten white Rogers front heads :D but if you overlook that fatal flaw, I'm enjoying seeing his process and looking at his pretty drums.

Yup. The fun is key. To increase my fun I lightened the load, use thinner shells to reduce weight, lighter weight stands, etc. Lighter and less items. Makes it more fun for me and I don't worry as much or need to prepare as much for logistics of gigs.
Geez. Who needs to complain about their own situation when there are guys like you who’ll complain for them?

Back