More adjustable hi hat clutch.

Pimento

My trust gibraltar hi hat clutch has started slipping, causing the top hat to slip higher on a heavy stomp (used to be able to hammer on that thing) but ive been doing that for about 9 years with that baby.

Anyways, im interested in drop clutches, but cannot find threads on them or why one is preferred over another, to be honest ive run into a few double bass moments in a few of my bands songs where its been "Man, i really wish i could continue this hi hat pattern with it closed wit hthe double kick) but looking at them (local shops currently have none) i cant see what one will be the quickest to switch between open or closed hats. Any advice would be great!

Recently I bought this clutch and I'm highly liking it: the Coady Clutch, by Billdidit.

http://www.billdidit.ca/

Just watch the video to get an idea of how it's working. I've seen some threads/posts on this forum to the Coady Clutch also. They are about to release an innovative cymbal clutch which allows to dial in the exact tightness/looseness you want.

I totally forgot about that thing! I was trying to think of the one that was kind of my "list topper"

Another one im interested in is tamas cobra clutch

I'v got a Gibraltar drop.

Pretty cheap, fairly decent quality.

I want one of those Tama pedals though, you know where you can lock off the Hi Hat?

Thats the cobra clutch. Do drop clutches actually clamp the hats or just drops them so theyre still sloshy but tight?

Me again... The Coady Wash Control can do just that - look here:
http://www.billdidit.ca/#!__products
That control is not a clutch itself but works as a distance stopper to keep the amount of hihat sloshiness you set. It works great with any clutch but to keep practice level at a minimum I'm avoiding my hihat to be sloshy so the hihat closes completely.

I got the Coady Combo package including the Wash Control - just in case, for now I only use the Clutch.

You mean you don't have a second pair of closed hi-hats? Wouldn't that just be easier?

;)
Bo, is this adressed to my post? If so: Great idea ;-) One day I'll have a 2nd hihat (would also be great to work out my right foot for hihat stuff/balance). Multiple hihat setups aren't that uncommon. I'm a gear freak in the guitar department (my 1st/main instrument) so if and when I'll get at the point of G.A.S. in drumming as in guitars... a shocking thought.

EDIT
Cobra Clutch... never heard of that one but just youtubed up Gavin's demo video... wow, cool device. I'll have to take a look at this thing in the store.

Last edited:
I considered an X-hat type setup, but plan on switching to a rack soon and dont have the cash for any more cymbals at the moment

I have the DW drop clutch. The great thing about it is that you actually have holes on either side of the clutch to screw the adjustment wing on. What that means for heavy players, is that you can put an Allen key lug on one side and the adjustment wing on the other side for some REAL locking.

I am an unashamedly hardcore Gaving Harrison fan, so I also have a cobra clutch. The only difference is that I have a spring between my bottom hihat and the bottom edge of the hihat clutch lifting it up a bit which gives the dropped position a much more washier (and nicer, imho) sound.

As for the whole '2nd set of hihats on an xhat' thing- I got the Cobra Clutch for much less than a new set of hats and hardware. I would ultimately like to have a second set of 14" or 15" K hats on the right hand side, but maybe with a conventional remote or speedy hat.

I'm gonna get the second pair of hats.

But the drop clutch is useful for when I'm at kits that aren't mine. (Y)

Bo, is this adressed to my post? If so: Great idea ;-) One day I'll have a 2nd hihat (would also be great to work out my right foot for hihat stuff/balance). Multiple hihat setups aren't that uncommon. I'm a gear freak in the guitar department (my 1st/main instrument) so if and when I'll get at the point of G.A.S. in drumming as in guitars... a shocking thought.

EDIT
Cobra Clutch... never heard of that one but just youtubed up Gavin's demo video... wow, cool device. I'll have to take a look at this thing in the store.

I suppose. I didn't direct it towards anybody. I just thought with the influx of people who actually have two pairs of hats on their kits, that discussing a drop clutch was sorta' novel.

I think we can blame Gary Chester for multiple hats - the cover of "The New Breed" book shows his kit with THREE hi-hats (and he didn't play double bass drums).

Can someone point me to some pics or video of this Cobra Clutch installed? Tama's site sucks for that, as does the Gavin Harrison video. It almost seems like they don't want consumers to know how it works. :)

Thanks.

i use a gibraltar drop clutch... it's served me well for the past 4 years. i'm very sure it'll keep going for a long time to follow

GALLERY_DRU0006835-000_1_images390.jpg

i'm also looking at a tama cobra clutch, which is very interesting. it's a pedal that will hold your hi hat down tight, unlike the drop clutch where its loose.
Tama%20Cobra%20Clutch%20Pedal.jpg

Can someone point me to some pics or video of this Cobra Clutch installed? Tama's site sucks for that, as does the Gavin Harrison video. It almost seems like they don't want consumers to know how it works. :)

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aypLGuUzR0I&t=6m5s

i've linked it so that it starts at 6mins 5 seconds right where he explains the cobra clutch

Yeah, when you step on the 'Iron Cobra' pedal piece, the mechanism locks that bottom arm down, which holds the hihat as tightly shut as you have adjusted it to. (if you look at the pic uniin posted, there's a small adjustment piece on the end of the bottom arm piece) And to unlock, simply press your heel down on the 'Tama' pedal piece.

Me again... The Coady Wash Control can do just that - look here:
http://www.billdidit.ca/#!__products
That control is not a clutch itself but works as a distance stopper to keep the amount of hihat sloshiness you set. It works great with any clutch but to keep practice level at a minimum I'm avoiding my hihat to be sloshy so the hihat closes completely.

I got the Coady Combo package including the Wash Control - just in case, for now I only use the Clutch.
I like the idea of the clutch and arm thingy. Some questions:

1) Do the magnets really hold the top hat well? And, how much more work is there assembling the top hat with the Coady Clutch? When going to and from gigs, I currently don't remove my top hat from the clutch assembly. I just put the hat in a cymbal bag with the clutch still attached. Yes, it makes for a protrusion, but would the Coady Clutch result in more of a protrusion?

2) Is it really that easy to drop the top hat? I ask because I use a standard drop clutch, and too often, my strike is not always perfect (even though I've been striking this thing for 20 years!). So much so, that most of the time, I drop the clutch by hand, while playing with one hand. I don't like that because I end up having to plan ahead, so to speak.

3) Does that arm thingy really do the trick? In theory, it sounds great to only have to move your foot off the pedal to have the top hat drop. After all, the only reason I would move my foot off the hi-hat is if I'm moving to another pedal. Is the arm cumbersome to install and remove for setup and breakdown?

4) The company seems to make it a hassle to find a dealer, by filling out a stupid form on their website. There isn't even a price anywhere. Where did you get yours and how much was it?

5) I assume the wash control only helps INCREASE the level of wash, and cannot help keep the hats tight. Is that correct?

I think the Cobra Clutch sounds and looks cool, but it seems like one more large-ish item to have to cart to and from gigs, and I don't fancy the idea of increasing my footprint. Even though it might SEEM like only a little increase, who knows what really happens once it's put into play.

Thanks for any, and all, info.

Is that all you do? Do you have to hold the pedal down WHILE you step on the cobra clutch?

Nope, the way the mechanism works allows easy locking with the clutch pedal only. That said, it's easier to pivot on your toes and bring your heel down on the clutch pedal. In my style of playing, I have learnt to lock it down and release it with my heel for drum fills, but I also use a tambourine on a foot pedal, so I can get the closed hihat sound (usually playing 8th notes) while playing quarter notes on the tambourine.

I know there's a lack of videos on yt about the cobra clutch, (that actually show how it works) I've been wanting to make a video myself, I might do this sometime soon.

Is the cobra clutch tama specific or universal?

Back