MOONSHINERS!!!

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Nobody in the following generations drinks shine or plays much bluegrass anymore. We all play rock, country, classical, prog, and we drink beer, not liquor. *shrug* LOL and I think that’s a general trend across the region, especially in families that live more on the edges of Appalachia than in the heart of it. Even my grandfather and his brothers, although they ran shine and legal liquor to make money, mostly just drank beer.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I'm fully committed to one's right to enjoy a batch of homemade hooch, and deeply troubled by by the false morality of prohibition and the resulting robbery, enslavement, and murder of millions. Also troubling is the backyard production of addictive industrial chemical poisons without regulation or accountability, and the resulting detriment to society.

The situation reminds me of the game that my father and I used to play in my youth called "Who can be the bigger A-Hole?".

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I'm fully committed to one's right to enjoy a batch of homemade hooch, and deeply troubled by by the false morality of prohibition and the resulting robbery, enslavement, and murder of millions. Also troubling is the backyard production of addictive industrial chemical poisons without regulation or accountability, and the resulting detriment to society.

The situation reminds me of the game that my father and I used to play in my youth called "Who can be the bigger A-Hole?".

In addition to those issues, there’s the millennia-long antagonism between Scot/Irish peoples and the ruling classes of England, which carried over to the antagonism between rural Appalachian populations and the ruling class in the capitals and eastern parts of the Eastern Seaboard states. Throw in the natural violence that comes with being a herding culture on marginal land (Scottish Highlands) and the cycles of violence and depression common to Northern European populations (which contribute to the alcoholism that this whole thread refers to), and you have the story of my people. *shrug* lol

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
In addition to those issues, there’s the millennia-long antagonism between Scot/Irish peoples and the ruling classes of England, which carried over to the antagonism between rural Appalachian populations and the ruling class in the capitals and eastern parts of the Eastern Seaboard states. Throw in the natural violence that comes with being a herding culture on marginal land (Scottish Highlands) and the cycles of violence and depression common to Northern European populations (which contribute to the alcoholism that this whole thread refers to), and you have the story of my people. *shrug* lol
That's not just your people, it's the story of us white people the world over. We take and take and take, and if you dont like it we kill you or discriminate to the point of mental reduction. Wars and history tell the story well.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Sounds like my family line Push Pull. Ancestors that lived in what’s now Washington DC (Ninian Beall an indentured servant sent to America from Battle of Dunbar but became big landowner) moved South to North Carolina for generations then my Grandfather lived in Atlanta Ga as his descendants now in GA. I’m not sure what percent of us are degenerates but definitely some bat crap crazy on Mom’s side of family (she was actually pretty normal considering her upbringing). Yeah it’s “amazing” I turned out perfectly fine, but I think I’m a fluke. So all the genetic trash recombined to create “Art”. ROFL that’s hysterical! I’m like HA Schultz and one of “trash people”.

toddmc

Gold Member

Bozozoid

I'm not sure? but doesn't Chris Whitten own a vineyard?. I'm a big! fan of ipa's. Cannot! Do whiskey..bourbon..tequilla etc.wine? I've had some reds I've tolerated. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the white I like. Oh well. I was feeling NO pain when I posted the Istanbul thread. Going back and reading my last response I thought dear Lord..i did not! Say what I said.

roncadillac

Alcohol is easy to make just impossible to separate once in water (it's an azeotrope)-and it's so hydroscopic once you purify it sucks water out of the air quickly. In the electron microscopy suit we would keep absolute ethanol-in glass stopper bottles over molecular sieves that absorbed any water. Since it wasn't denatured-of course I got me a pipette full-man essence of hell burning and pickling you innards. Deionized triple distilled water similar burned because so hypotonic to your cells.

If we really want to get them scratching their heads let's bring up attenuation and the importance of alpha amalyse!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
If you are interested in making your own, I'm sure that you could get everything you need at a local wine-making store. If you don't have one, look at a local bee supplier; many of them have wine-making supplies or can get them.

Just like anything else, make it because you want the experience. Don't do it because you want to save money because you won't. I could always buy any beverages better than I could ever make.

Old Dog new Cans

If you are interested in making your own, I'm sure that you could get everything you need at a local wine-making store. If you don't have one, look at a local bee supplier; many of them have wine-making supplies or can get them.

Just like anything else, make it because you want the experience. Don't do it because you want to save money because you won't. I could always buy any beverages better than I could ever make.

Oh they're ALL over Amazon and eBay. It's definitely not about saving money, heck, I don't even drink. And that's the thing. It's just not something I could get very serious about. If my body allowed me to enjoy some spirits now and again, I'd dig that. I'd definitely try my hand at it. I have alcohol in the cabinet that I purchased over 2/3 years ago. ?‍♂️

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
That was my favorite show as a kid. It was on friday nights right after Hee-Haw.

Same here. Hee-Haw was my go-to when I lived in Virginia.

John Schneider (Bo Duke) was NOT a fan of the movie (I remember he was quite polite about it though- calling it a "non-movie")
Makes sense as that "movie" was trash.
Same for the first Mission: Impossible movie. Some of the original cast who were invited to the premier walked out of the screening as the writers totally killed the idea of the original show.

J-W

That's not just your people, it's the story of ALL people the world over. We take and take and take, and if you dont like it we kill you or discriminate to the point of mental reduction. Wars and history tell the story well.

Fixed it for ya. You apparently were only told a very small part of the story.

bongoman

Watch it with that “only been told part of the story” on this particular topic, because you are at minimum begging to break the no politics rule here, and it sounds like a dog whistle.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Watch it with that “only been told part of the story” on this particular topic, because you are at minimum begging to break the no politics rule here, and it sounds like a dog whistle.
My initial post that was replied to wasnt meant to be political, only historical. I'm not looking into it any more than "look who did what".

bongoman

On topic, one of my Irish great-great grandfathers, and his best friend, each owned illegal stills in their back properties. One day they had a big falling out, and my ancestor ratted out his friend to the cops (who were British). The friend then told them that my guy was just trying to end local competition for HIS still. The cops ruled that my ancestor was the bigger jerk, and had him transported to the New World.

J-W

I understand what you're insinuating, but the only thing I'm begging for is that people to seek out the truth for themselves. The initial post singled out a particular group of people so I want to set the record straight that they aren't alone in that sort of human behavior.