MOONSHINERS!!!

Old Dog new Cans

So, I dig this show. I think it's an important part of Americana, history, good or bad. And, I was a whiskey guy when I drank. So when I found moonshine, I enjoyed it a few times. I enjoy cooking, mostly for others when I have that opportunity. My point is, I bet I would make a hellified 'shine and am considering a home still.

ANY home distillers here? Anyone watching Moonshiners and it's sister shows? They have a Master Distiller show now. Fun stuff.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
So, I dig this show. I think it's an important part of Americana, history, good or bad. And, I was a whiskey guy when I drank. So when I found moonshine, I enjoyed it a few times. I enjoy cooking, mostly for others when I have that opportunity. My point is, I bet I would make a hellified 'shine and am considering a home still.

ANY home distillers here? Anyone watching Moonshiners and it's sister shows? They have a Master Distiller show now. Fun stuff.
I made 5 gallons of mulberry wine about 10 years ago. It was disgustingly bitter. Strange because mulberries are really sweet. It was kind of weak as far as alcohol content, more like beer than wine. That's my only time making any type of alcohol.

I dont drink anymore. Between 26 and 32 I drank enough alcohol daily (vodka) to kill an elephant. I slowed waaay down and would stick with beer mostly after that until I decided I dont want to drink anymore. Not really sure why I'm not dead.

My favorite drink at my worst point was the one you could pour into a glass. I would literally drink anything.

C.M. Jones

I've never seen the show, but I had an offbeat uncle who distilled whiskey in his garage. It was, well, a rather potent formulation. A sip or two was transformational. Its makeup remained a mystery, but I suspect that the FDA would have rejected the recipe.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
After exhausting news and other crap during this COVID year I started watching "Moonshiners"-it's pretty mindless and funny. That dude with Lamb Chops in SC is like watching evolution in action-I know any day natural selection will take em out LOL. He's broke a bunch of limbs, lost a finger or so, just a matter of time. I've always been a big whiskey drinker and some shine-but I don't trust the fellas making it so real particular of source. Them shiners will tell you it cures everything and will increase your lifespan but most look like crack addicts so at age 50 look 80 LOL. I have a couple friends who distill at home (I did many decades ago). I like Moonshiners because they are outdoors and the people remind me of folks I grew up with (yeah some were halfwits and other pretty ingenious at times). When I was a kid I would go poaching gators with these fellas who were also moonshiners. They never took me to their still but I heard tales of their antics-and they were some characters. It's funny to me they push the heritage aspect rather than they are a bunch of criminals. I guess one day when a certain "herb" is completely legal in my State I can tell my Grand Kids Ole Pop was a pioneer (not a criminal) and that I was doing a public service and y'all should grow it as part of our heritage ROFL. It's better than the Kardashians-well maybe not. It would be a great hobby if I still imbibed. I did drink some Margaritas over Christmas-but just a couple drinks one night. I think the thrill is gone-in my best BB King voice.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Alcohol is easy to make just impossible to separate once in water (it's an azeotrope)-and it's so hydroscopic once you purify it sucks water out of the air quickly. In the electron microscopy suit we would keep absolute ethanol-in glass stopper bottles over molecular sieves that absorbed any water. Since it wasn't denatured-of course I got me a pipette full-man essence of hell burning and pickling you innards. Deionized triple distilled water similar burned because so hypotonic to your cells.

madjack956

After exhausting news and other crap during this COVID year I started watching "Moonshiners"-it's pretty mindless and funny. That dude with Lamb Chops in SC is like watching evolution in action-I know any day natural selection will take em out LOL. He's broke a bunch of limbs, lost a finger or so, just a matter of time. I've always been a big whiskey drinker and some shine-but I don't trust the fellas making it so real particular of source. Them shiners will tell you it cures everything and will increase your lifespan but most look like crack addicts so at age 50 look 80 LOL. I have a couple friends who distill at home (I did many decades ago). I like Moonshiners because they are outdoors and the people remind me of folks I grew up with (yeah some were halfwits and other pretty ingenious at times). When I was a kid I would go poaching gators with these fellas who were also moonshiners. They never took me to their still but I heard tales of their antics-and they were some characters. It's funny to me they push the heritage aspect rather than they are a bunch of criminals. I guess one day when a certain "herb" is completely legal in my State I can tell my Grand Kids Ole Pop was a pioneer (not a criminal) and that I was doing a public service and y'all should grow it as part of our heritage ROFL. It's better than the Kardashians-well maybe not. It would be a great hobby if I still imbibed. I did drink some Margaritas over Christmas-but just a couple drinks one night. I think the thrill is gone-in my best BB King voice.
They are only deemed criminals because a bunch of jackwagons decided to take away another bit of their freedoms.

...or maybe its just my Scot/Irish heritage rising to the forefront.:cool:;)

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Yes first time Washington calls out the militia was to suppress a whiskey rebellion was't it-they migrated South. And the irony Washington had one of largest distilleries in US before said and done. Scots moved South-To our good fortune. I'm Scottish ancestry also. Freedom in my best Mel voice. A bunch of jack wagons (one jack ass in particular) made my herb illegal to take aways another freedom-even impacted hemp industry (which isn't psychoactive) Crazy stuff for sure-all based on lies and propaganda.

Last edited:

madjack956

Yes first time Washington calls out the militia was to suppress a whiskey rebellion was't it-they migrated South. To our good fortune. I'm Scottish ancestry also. Freedom in my best Mel voice. A bunch of jack wagons (one jack ass in particular) made my herb illegal to take aways another freedom-even impacted hemp industry (which isn't psychoactive) Crazy stuff for sure-all based on lies and propaganda.
You mean the movie "Reefer Madness" isn't true? o_O

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Yes first time Washington calls out the militia was to suppress a whiskey rebellion was't it-they migrated South. And the irony Washington had one of largest distilleries in US before said and done. Scots moved South-To our good fortune. I'm Scottish ancestry also. Freedom in my best Mel voice. A bunch of jack wagons (one jack ass in particular) made my herb illegal to take aways another freedom-even impacted hemp industry (which isn't psychoactive) Crazy stuff for sure-all based on lies and propaganda.
And even during prohibition certain folks with ailments could get an Rx for alcohol. So messed up...sounds like weed now.

It's just a plant. Can we swap the legal status of weed for beets? Those things are disgusting and should be outlawed.

Old Dog new Cans

Josh is MESSED UP! Haha. He's a trip. He beat up his best friend in like season 4 or 5? Lost his partner.

If I ever did make any moonshine, I would probably just share it with those i know who'd enjoy it. I agree. It seems very risky. And they do have it backwards. Alcohol has killed. Cannabis can cure.

It's a fun and interesting show. I simply don't drink now. I had some sake in June on my birthday. My stomach hurt for 2/3 days and I didn't have but a few ounces really.

I would make good shine. I think that's my only real point! Lol.

They sell home distillery kits. On eBay you can spend anywhere from $250 to $10,000. Some are stainless steel with copper coils, etc. The $10,000 kit is full copper and can make up to 20 gallons of liquor.

And as far as them being criminals. . . .how the hell can the police not know where they are? Like Mark and Digger are in a building in town. They don't sell anything out of the building. . .I guess I just wonder if the police have been paid off to turn a blind eye so a TV show can be made. The outlaw part of it seems fun. Have you seen Lawless with Tom Hardy and Shia LeBeouf? They glamorize it, but the shiners still look, kinda stupid in a lot of ways. Good movie. violent

If I ever make any, I'll let you all know. ;)

Bozozoid

I've got the attention span of a Nat. Do they have short attention spans?..i don't remember. I can't watch television for more than 10 minutes and I'm doing something else. One of our horn players was into making stouts..porters..etc. I'd give him my opinion should he bring his latest achievement to rehearsal. I'm not a stout or porter FAN but his efforts were pretty impressive.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Both sides of my birth families have moonshining and liquor running in their history going back a looobg time. Both families are from the Mt. Airy area, which is where Andy Griffith is from. I wouldn’t be surprised if the moonshining hillbilly family on his show is based on my family he knew from childhood. That side of the family (my birth mom’s side) were also extremely musically gifted. Her uncle won the Union Cross fiddle championships in 1971, and recorded with Ralph Stanley. Here’s a video of the moonshining Darling family, probably based on my mom’s family.

I didn’t find all this out until I was 18, and was duly shocked. LOL But it certainly explained where my musical ability and ADHD and sensory processing issues and intelligence came from. That family was/is full of brilliance, violence, and musical ability.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member

That’s a pic of my great uncle Wayburn on that side of the family. He was a brilliant technician on the fiddle, had a beautiful tone too. He drank himself to death 6 months after winning that trophy in 1971. He had more of the musical ability and less of the violent tendencies. But my other great uncles were the opposite. They all did time for murder. My grandfather didn’t, though.

moodman

In the 1960's we could get a gallon of moonshine for $30, traveling from Indiana to KY. We cut it 50% with water and bottled it in washed booze bottles we collected and sealed with a wax lid. The diluted stuff ate the paint off of a funnel so, we quit using that. We made a good profit supplying our friends, others cut it even more for sale. I swear you could cop a buzz just handling it for bottling.
this was our favorite song

Last edited:

moodman

That’s a pic of my great uncle Wayburn on that side of the family. He was a brilliant technician on the fiddle, had a beautiful tone too. He drank himself to death 6 months after winning that trophy in 1971. He had more of the musical ability and less of the violent tendencies. But my other great uncles were the opposite. They all did time for murder. My grandfather didn’t, though.
My grandad, Whit Lakins was said to be ' 3 time fiddlin' champ of Tennnessee', he was born in 1865, worked in minstrel shows. In old age, crippled by arthritis and blind, he 'charmed' a snake in a basket with his violin. All his sons played various instruments and had a band.

Old Dog new Cans

Wow, some really interesting posts Push-pull and moodman! See, good or bad, it's great history to know. Parts of families, a way to make a dollar, maybe some murder mixed in. These people had to protect themselves. And it was certainly a different time and place they were all living in.

Really neat guys thanks.