moon gels experiment

so for a fun experiment I am going to try something. I am going to try to make home made moon gels. you know the sticky hands you can buy (yes the kids toys) the are just little hands with a string on them but they are real sticky, you can find them in the quarter vending machines and at walmart in the dollar toy section. I was looking at them and playing with one awhile back and the look and texture of them seems like they would work for this, cut the fingers and string off so it's just the palm, then split the palm into 2 pieces. Seems like it would give the same effect as the gels.....anyone else have any suggestions to stuff that works just as well as moon gel. I know a lot of people will think, "why not just buy some moon gels", but I am just experimenting and playing around.

so for a fun experiment I am going to try something. I am going to try to make home made moon gels. you know the sticky hands you can buy (yes the kids toys) the are just little hands with a string on them but they are real sticky, you can find them in the quarter vending machines and at walmart in the dollar toy section. I was looking at them and playing with one awhile back and the look and texture of them seems like they would work for this, cut the fingers and string off so it's just the palm, then split the palm into 2 pieces. Seems like it would give the same effect as the gels.....anyone else have any suggestions to stuff that works just as well as moon gel. I know a lot of people will think, "why not just buy some moon gels", but I am just experimenting and playing around.

It's been done.. It works.. the longevity is in question.

Use a regular business card. Used long before moon gels. when you are finished put them back in your wallet.

It's always fun to find dampening alternatives.

Especially since moon gels are kind of expensive.

My home approach is simply - a little felt and duct tape.

It's always fun to find dampening alternatives.

Especially since moon gels are kind of expensive.

My home approach is simply - a little felt and duct tape.

yeah, i agree. the felt and duct tape works great, just trying to find other ways. the duct tape pulled some of the coating off my evans onyx heads, and I kind of despise the rings, they tend to come off at the worst possible times and there is no control as to how much dampening to use with them.

I actually think Moon Gels are the bomb, but I cut them into quarters (with the edge of a splash!) as the full-size pieces are a bit too aggressive for my liking. I'm quite sure the sticky hand will work, and it will look cool too!

They work well and the benefit is you can cut them to size if needed i.e. 12" a little bigger than the 10", 14' even bigger etc.

Same material as MOONGEL

hey les, what would be a good starting point for the sizes on the gels?

did you hear about the drummer that finished high school?

me neither.

class, this is a square 2x2, 3x3,8x8. this is a rectangle, 1x1.5, 1x4, 5x2.....

Wally world was closing out the Happy Halloween gels you stick on your windows. So for $2.50 I have enough to make about 4 dozen. They work great and a bit cheaper.

Back