Monitor headphone recommendations?

Mastiff

Looking to buy some headphones, looking for recommendations. I want to spend as much as I need to (as an amateur) but not more, if that makes sense. Looking for the knee of the curve where spending more money is diminishing returns. My application is just online collaborations for the fun of it, recorded in home "studio".

I'm a big fan of the Audio Technica ATH-M30. They've probably changed a little since I bought mine a decade ago but if they're anything like they were, they're great headphones.

My brother is an audiophile and he used to bring over headphones that cost hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars for me to audition and the ATH-M30's consistently fared well against the competition.

Last edited:
For mixing? I have them for playing but I never considered them especially accurate as monitors. I could be wrong though.
I thought he said "online collaborations", which to me isn't necessarily mixing. If I was mixing, any kind of headphone is the worst for that anyway. That's why the near-field studio monitor speaker is available.

Yep, I would say GK Ultraphones too.
Mixing on headphones isn't ideal anyway, less ideal on budget headphones. If the emphasis is on recording.... and drum recording... GK Ultraphones.

What's your budget? What do you have now?
I have GK Ultraphones, which I use to play and protect my ears while hearing the music. Besides that, I have typical end consumer stuff. Nothing categorized as a monitor. I don't know on budget since I don't know what is required to get something decent. I'm not going for cheap if that's what you're asking. Having said that, I kind of expect I should be able to do pretty well for less than $300.

BTW, "Online collaboration" doesn't mean real time. Is that even possible with the latency? What I mean is that I download drumless tracks, put them in my DAW, record and mix the drums and upload it back. Purely amateur hour, but it's more fun when the end product sounds decent.

Monitor speakers are on my radar too, but my home situation is such that I don't really have a place with privacy to use them, unless I stuffed them into my drum room someplace and sat at the set.

I'm a big fan of the Audio Technica ATH-M30. They've probably changed a little since I bought mine a decade ago but if they're anything like they were, they're great headphones.

My brother is an audiophile and he used to bring over headphones that cost hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars for me to audition and the ATH-M30's consistently fared well against the competition.
I second this!! Audio Technica makes great headphones for not tons of moolah!

And are you hoping to play with the headphones you are purchasing? or just mixing? becuase if you're playing, then you're going to want to noise-isolating headphones.

Back