Modifying a Tom Mount

wildbill

Platinum Member
Simple job with the right parts, but I thought I'd show it in case someone finds it useful.
Ludwig and Yamaha have different size shafts for the mounts - 1" and 7/8" respectively.
The 1" will slide right over the 7/8", but it is free to spin around until secured.
So basically, just cut off a section, slide it over, secure it into position, drill through both sections, and pin them together.

I have a 10/12/14 tom Yamaha Tour custom, and a Ludwig 3 pc. bop, but I've always been partial to a 5 pc., and got tired of waiting for Yamaha
to come out with an 18" Tour bass drum.
I wanted the Ludwig set anyways, and with a couple of mounts, it provides a lot of options.

Some pics - kept them small, but it should be enough to get the idea: first - the different size mounts and a slideover section,
2 is just a screw and drill bit, 3 is drilled through both sections, 4 is assembled, and 5 is Yamaha toms on a Ludwig bass.
Click the pics for a slightly bigger size.

Attachments

• sizes1 - Copy.JPG
    sizes1 - Copy.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 39
  • screw2 - Copy.JPG
    screw2 - Copy.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 38
  • drilled3 - Copy.JPG
    drilled3 - Copy.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 34
  • done4 - Copy.JPG
    done4 - Copy.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Ludwaha5 - Copy.JPG
    Ludwaha5 - Copy.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Now that's taking the right incentive and not giving in to proprietary BS. Good job. I've done similar handiwork with my kits and not Only does it work, it feels good to solve a problem without purchasing the "right" part for $50 or %75.

Non-standardized parts for things that wouldn't be a make or break deal are a PITA.
I mean how difficult would it be for all drum manufacturers to say we're all going to use 1" mount shafts, or 7/8" , or whatever.
They could buy in bulk, pass on the savings, have standardized machining, and so on. I mean does it really make a difference?

Synthesizer manufacturers got together and agreed to adhere to a standard that resulted in midi - and everyone benefited from it.
And that's certainly more complicated than something like a tom mount shaft.

Of course, if I wasn't so cheap, I could go on the hunt for a matching 10" Ludwig tom and a double tom mount.
But that could take a while. I'm not sure how old they are, but I know some of the parts aren't being made anymore.

Last edited:
I love stuff like this. Ingenuity at its finest.

Good MacGyvering there !!!

Back