Modify / repair foot pedals

Skilas

Hallo, I think modifying or repairing drum pedals deserves its own thread. Here we can exchange our experiences.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Here's an easy one anyone can do to a Pearl chain pedal. You can adjust the chain length at the cam by taking off the piece that holds it to the cam. The piece has little "fingers" in it that hold the chain in place. Once the piece is off, you can stick the fingers in a different link and reattach the piece to the cam. It takes less than 5 minutes.

For a more advanced mod, the bearings can be replaced with skateboard bearings.

Some double pedals can be made left footed also. That's a good amount of work, and I wouldn't suggest it for people who aren't comfortable with assembling things.

Good thread idea.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

This is for those that use Axis longboards and want to add toe spacers to raise the footboard. Instead of buying them from Axis which a fine option, you can get aluminum flat bars at hardware stores for a couple of dollars that about 1/8" thick. You then cut them to size & drill holes in them. You will have to get longer machine screws and stack them to the desired height. An added bonus of doing this is that you get to change the height in 1/8" increments instead of 1/4" increments with the Axis toe spacers.

Last edited:

Skilas

Often it is that a pedal has a lot of play in the shaft bearings. You take new bearings and nothing changes. The reason is that the shaft itself and / or the bearing seat wear out. Only one thing helps: a strip of Scotch tape on the shaft and / or on the outer ring of the bearing. You have to try to find the right length of the strip, the width is 7mm. The result is amazing.

Last edited:

CYP47

Funny, just today I broke the tension spring on my DW pedal. First time in 35+ years. New one on the way

mrfingers

If you’re using an old Speed King and it keeps rubbing the batter, put a pencil between the pedal and the hoop then tighten to the hoop- you need the 1/4” space because you have the pedal with short, front “wings.”

Ronzo

DW 5000 pedal mod....o
My pedals (double pedal) seemed to have a little bit of wiggle side to side. Nothing crazy just annoying. Took the heel plate off and the two screws under it that hold the hinge were slightly loose. Upon trying to tighten them one let loose and snapped. So I took both pedal apart and replaced all 4 screws on both pedals with some hardened hex bolts. Absolutely zero side to side movement in the footboard now.

loach71

Ronzo -- Undo those allen-head capscrews and clean them and the screw holes with lacquer thinner or acetone. Let the acetone dry. Put one drop of BLUE LocTite thread locking compound on the allen-head capscrews. Reassemble. Let dry overnight. The locked assembly won't come loose until you dis-assemble it. DO NOT USE RED LOCTITE.

Ronzo

Ronzo -- Undo those allen-head capscrews and clean them and the screw holes with lacquer thinner or acetone. Let the acetone dry. Put one drop of BLUE LocTite thread locking compound on the allen-head capscrews. Reassemble. Let dry overnight. The locked assembly won't come loose until you dis-assemble it. DO NOT USE RED LOCTITE.
Yes I did that when reassembled. Thanks

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
If you buy Axis you will learn all the in's and out's of pedal maintenance haha. I have mine ripped apart every year it seems. I recently replaced the heel blocks, converted some springs to micro tunes. I have taken off the number one pieces and swapped between pedals, you name it. I have made a few YouTube vids on Axis and Pearl pedal maintenance. If you don't know what you are doing go slow and take your time. Don't over tighten, don't strip parts. Nothing should be "forced"

I video to help others, but videoing yourself is a good way to log what you are doing if there is a chance you may forget.