Modern Ludwig Drums

eliRYO

I have heard in the past few years that Ludwig has gone downhill in terms quality.

Is this true?

From the current Ludwig owners, how does the sound compare to Ludwigs of yester-year?

I am looking for a vintage sound but its hard to find the sizes I want in any vintage set currently available.

Do the drums capture that "vintage" sound?

First, Ludwig's quality and quality-control is excellent. Admittedly, there was a period during the '80s and into the '90s a bit where they weren't turning out their best work, but in the last 15 years or so they have bounced back in a big way. Anyone who's spreading old info is doing everyone a disservice.

Second, new drums (generally) do not sound like vintage drums. While Keller introduced a mahogany & maple re-ring vintage shell, Ludwig introduced their Legacy line, which features their late-'60s-mid-'70s clear maple shell design with the older '60s edges, sort of a hybrid of their best classic shells.

I'm not sure what sizes you're looking for, but keep in mind that part of the vintage sound comes from the vintage sizes. To get a vintage type shell in a modern (deeper) size, kind of negates the concept of the vintage sound. I have a bunch of Legacy drums, and they're all classic, old school sizes - 14" deep kicks, 8x12, 9x13 & 10x14 toms, etc. They sound fabulous not only for capturing the old sound, but they certainly stand up well with most modern music. You're welcome to puruse whatever sizes you want, but only the correct shells in the correct sizes will deliver the correct vintage sound.

If you prefer to find an actual vintage kit, be aware that through use and abuse, and the fact that Ludwig hurried production in the post-Ringo boom (so to speak...) c1964-67, you may encounter anomalies in sound and timbre between toms in particular. Make sure you can hear the drums before you buy them.

I think some of the best older Ludwigs are the '68-'75 era. I have a few kits from that period and they're wonderful.

Bermuda

Ludwig has REALLY stepped up their game over the last few years. believe me, it i had the money right now i would get a new Ludwig kit, no questions asked, hands down!!!

I'm not sure what sizes you're looking for, but keep in mind that part of the vintage sound comes from the vintage sizes. To get a vintage type shell in a modern (deeper) size, kind of negates the concept of the vintage sound. I have a bunch of Legacy drums, and they're all classic, old school sizes - 14" deep kicks, 8x12, 9x13 & 10x14 toms, etc. They sound fabulous not only for capturing the old sound, but they certainly stand up well with most modern music. You're welcome to puruse whatever sizes you want, but only the correct shells in the correct sizes will deliver the correct vintage sound.

I understand that. I must have not made my statement very clear. What I meant was that it is hard to find a set in say... 12x8, 14x14, 16x16, 20x14 all together. The only way I have found is to buy a 3/4 pc. and add on a floor tom if you can find one in the same finish and era, which can add up very quickly.

Also, I am familiar with the Keller Vintage Mahogany/Maple shells. I would actually build a set (I build drums on the side) as a "replica" but the right style parts are expensive and sometimes hard to come by.

.....12x8, 14x14, 16x16, 20x14 all together. ..... which can add up very quickly.
No one "ever" said this was poor-mans-sport. The 14x14 is the hardest, and so, the most expensive drum, in your listed combination, to find. And expecting to find "all 4 drums together" ... the most expensive way to go. If you want to go, on the cheap, then you have to buy the orphans, the unwashed, drums missing parts, drums with extra holes. Extra holes can the doweled and plugged. Parts can be replaced. Shells can be re-wrapped.​
As some would say, "it's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase".​

Also, I am familiar with the Keller Vintage Mahogany/Maple shells. I would actually build a set (I build drums on the side) as a "replica" but the right style parts are expensive and sometimes hard to come by.
If all you want to do is "fake" one drum, this is a good way to go. But to fake a whole drum kit, that's a whole lot of lugs (60, if I'm not mistaken).​

I understand that. I must have not made my statement very clear. What I meant was that it is hard to find a set in say... 12x8, 14x14, 16x16, 20x14 all together. The only way I have found is to buy a 3/4 pc. and add on a floor tom if you can find one in the same finish and era, which can add up very quickly.

You're basically looking at a Club Date outfit, and adding the 16" tom. Not hard to do at all, depending on the finish. Blue & silver sparkle, sky blue pearl, and a few others will be easy to find. Green & red sparkle, the later psychedelic wraps, oyster blue & black will be more scarce and/or expensive.

And be patient... you'll find the Club Date quickly, but you may have to search a bit before you find the right matching floor tom.

Good luck!

Bermuda

I don't care for the new badges myself. I did see a cool Mod Orange kit, but the badges killed me! Their lower line stuff is pretty nice for the money. I saw an Accent Custom with an incredible green sparkle fade laquer finish that reminded me of a "black and tan" beer only green!

You're basically looking at a Club Date outfit, and adding the 16" tom. Not hard to do at all, depending on the finish. Blue & silver sparkle, sky blue pearl, and a few others will be easy to find. Green & red sparkle, the later psychedelic wraps, oyster blue & black will be more scarce and/or expensive.

And be patient... you'll find the Club Date quickly, but you may have to search a bit before you find the right matching floor tom.

Good luck!

Bermuda

This would actually be a Downbeat kit... 12,14,20 and a 14x5 Supra or Jazz Fest. The Club Date kits were Ludwig's lower end kits in the 60's.

This would actually be a Downbeat kit... 12,14,20 and a 14x5 Supra or Jazz Fest. The Club Date kits were Ludwig's lower end kits in the 60's.

Just to clarify: The term "Club Date" refers to a vintage Ludwig drum that had a single Bowtie lug casing, centrally located on the shell, and cheaper floor tom legs and leg brackets. Club Date kits *usually* came in a 12/14/20 configuration, but there are some 22s, 15s, and 16s out there (I've never seen a 13" club date tom...). A Downbeat is a Ludwig kit with "split lugs" in the 12/14/20 configuration. Club Dates WERE cheaper, but only because they used less hardware and involved less drilling at the factory...the shells are the same!

Club Dates ARE cheaper when buying a kit, but finding that 16" floor tom in the same finish with the Club Date hardware will prove tough. I'd recommend buying a Downbeat and adding the 16" floor tom with split lugs, unless you wouldn't mind the dissimilar hardware...

Last edited:
This would actually be a Downbeat kit... 12,14,20 and a 14x5 Supra or Jazz Fest.

Correct, too. Curiously the Club Date didn't come with a hi-hat or 2nd cymbal stand (as did the Downbeat.)

Bermuda

Back