Modern jazz recommendations

Random User Name

Hi guys

My jazz collection is getting quite substantial now but the one thing it is really lacking (and the thing I claim ignorance to) is modern jazz.

So I am wondering if you good people could recommend a few artists with links if possible.

Thanks in advance
Random User Name

P.S. it goes with out saying that I don't want recommendations like Kenny G.

tcspears

Gold Member
+1 for Brian Blade. It's drum-centric, but it's excellent stuff!

Part of this will depend on what you consider modern. There is Modern Jazz that coincided with the Modern Art movement in the 1950s, but there's also modern jazz, which is newer jazz, not necessarily a specific sub-genre...

I'm going to assume that you meant modern, as in recent.

You're in luck, because jazz moved from the least popular genre in the US (2014) to the second least popular in 2016! Surpassing classical music finally! Here are a few albums from this year worth checking out

Aaron Diehl - Space, Time, Continuum
Antonio Sanchez - The Meridian Suite
Kamsai Washington - The Epic
Anat Fort - Birdwatching
Jack DeJohnette/Ravi Coltrane/Matthew Garrison - In Movement

Blue Note put out a sampler called "A Supreme Welcome" which is a good sampling of some of the up and coming acts in jazz today.

Again, it's going to depend on what you mean by modern jazz, and what you already have. If you haven't explored Modern Jazz from the 50s, that's worth checking out, as is Third Stream which is jazz and classical at the same time.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Part of this will depend on what you consider modern. There is Modern Jazz that coincided with the Modern Art movement in the 1950s

I've also seen this written as "moderne jazz", as a nod to the Art Deco stylistic subculture that emerged somewhere about ~1930-1950.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Modern for me, especially in terms of the drumming, kind of means after 1960, though as a historical idea I guess it starts with bebop. I don't have a lot of favorite records that are super contemporary-- my listening is heavily weighted to music ~20-60 years old. I think these are all from the 90s, but they're still modern by any definition, and great records:

Paul Motian - Live at the Village Vanguard, Trioism
Bill Frisell - Where In The World, Before We Were Born
Tim Berne - Fractured Fairy Tales, Caos Totale, Big Satan
John Scofield - Time On My Hands, Grace Under Pressure
Wayne Shorter - Footprints Live, Beyond The Sound Barrier
Branford Marsalis - The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born
Brad Mehldau - Art of the Trio, any vol.
Joe Henderson - State of the Tenor
Gateway - Homecoming
Keith Jarrett Trio - The Cure, Still Live
Tethered Moon - First Meeting, Plays Kurt

dmacc_2

Hi guys

My jazz collection is getting quite substantial now but the one thing it is really lacking (and the thing I claim ignorance to) is modern jazz.

So I am wondering if you good people could recommend a few artists with links if possible.

Thanks in advance
Random User Name

P.S. it goes with out saying that I don't want recommendations like Kenny G.
Timeframe of reference would be helpful. Does your current collection end at Basie/Ellington - does it end at Bird or Coltrane' - does it end someplace after that? Does it end with Chick Corea Electric Band?

Random User Name

Yeah sorry chaps I should have been more specific. When I meant modern I meant things post the turn of the century. My collection ends around the 80s with Weather Reports 1982 self titled. We could debate the philosophy behind modernism but that's for another time ;). But loving the recommendations so far.

Last edited:

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I made a point to listen to some of the current jazz pop. I think it's important to recognize the style if not substance of the more popular jazz pieces, Chris Botti's impressions is not bad, though there isn't much in the way of new material. I like Lewis Nash, especially highest mountain. Trumpet is my other instrument so I like Eduardo Sandoval's tribute to Dizzy Gillespie it is intense stuff The "Trumpet Summit" CD is also good. Wynton Marsalis is good though his current stuff is classical because he was "bought out" by the classical world.

pgm554

Platinum Member
Yeah sorry chaps I should have been more specific. When I meant modern I meant things post the turn of the century. My collection ends around the 80s with Weather Reports 1982 self titled. We could debate the philosophy behind modernism but that's for another time ;). But loving the recommendations so far.
So you want jazz from 82 on?
Steve Kahn ,Steps Ahead,Kazumi Watanabe,Hiromi,Tony Williams ,John Scofield,John McLaughlin,Bill Bruford,Pat Metheney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6cPWN3gKRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMnpcgPbWOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkJoTY0GE8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_TjI_g1cz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLE_IBg9abk

Last edited:

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
For something a little-off-the-beaten-track and in a rather odd sub-section of Semitic Jazz, may I recommend Masada? I also own Brian Blade's 'Fellowship' and that's rather good - generally on the lighter side and a little more airy than most. 'Perceptual' (also Brian Blade) is similar and released a couple of years later.

Both of those recommendations come from the 1990-2000 period.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Bill Bruford's Earthworks's live 2002 album Footloose and Fancy Free is an enjoyable listen and quite original.

Agree with Brian Blade, Pat Metheney and Brad Mehldau suggestions.

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
Manu Katché (Solo-Works)
Takuyo Kuroda (Edit: Oh, already mentioned...)
Curtis Stigers
Alexandra Lehmler
Bill Carothers Trio
Kurt Elling
Eliane Elias and Marc Johnson
Tim Alhoff Trio
Tingvall Trio
Zara McFarlane
Roy Hargrove Quintet

Dutch

Peter Erskine Trio
Marcin Wasilewski Trio
Kyle Eastwood
Jan Garbarek
Casiopea
Jose James
Katie Noonan
Silje Nergaard
Tord Gustavsen Trio & Ensemble
Steve Gadd Band
Carolyn Leonhart
Cassandra Wilson

That should keep you entertained for a while.

Dutch

TheElectricCompany

Donny McCaslin - Casting for Gravity

Excellent album with a great line up:
Donny McCaslin - sax
Tim Lefebvre - bass
Jason Lindner - keys
Mark Guiliana - drums

Frank

Gold Member
Pat Metheney** Group for the win.

**35 Grammy award nominations, winner of 20 Grammy awards, including 7 in a row for 7 consecutive PMG recordings. The Group has won a total of 10.

For me:

Avishai Cohen - Into the Silence
Brian Blade & the Fellowship Band - Landmarks
Vijay Iyer - Accelerando (one of my favourite)
Brad Mehldau - Largo
Jeff Ballard – Time’s Tales