Modern equivalent of buddy rich fibes snare drum?

RickP

Gold Member
The Jenkins Martin snares would fill the bill admirably. Fibreglass shell construction and really well made. I played a few at the 2015 Chicago Vintage Drum Show and was really impressed with these drums, both snares and sets. Probably the ideal gigging kits.

pgm554

Platinum Member
I own 6 SFT 690 snares,3 Fibes fiberglass,1 Garcia custom ,1 Corder,1 Austin Fibes and one Cannon.

The closest that I have found are the older Pearl free floaters that have the extended snare mechanism which can be had for about $250 or less used on the internet (Guitar Center) (I own 10 of those).

Why most drum companies no longer use the extended snare mechanism is anybody's guess(cheap?).

M

Matt Bo Eder

Why most drum companies no longer use the extended snare mechanism is anybody's guess(cheap?).
My guess is that they are a big PITA. I played with a Ludwig Super-Sensitive, and Rogers Dynasonic, and even Tama and Pearl had extended snares in the 70s into the early 80s and there's so many moving parts that could break or have to be adjusted just right, I can totally see why nobody would need it if a Supraphonic with a P-85 will do the trick.

pgm554

Platinum Member
My guess is that they are a big PITA. I played with a Ludwig Super-Sensitive, and Rogers Dynasonic, and even Tama and Pearl had extended snares in the 70s into the early 80s and there's so many moving parts that could break or have to be adjusted just right, I can totally see why nobody would need it if a Supraphonic with a P-85 will do the trick.
I agree there were some clunkers,the Tama King Beat sucked,the Yamaha super sensitive too and the Pearl Jupiter was a mess.

I would rather have given a prostate exam to a cadaver than play any of those snares.

I liked the sound of the Ludwig SS,but the snare was pretty complcated.
I have as of yet to play I Dyna I liked.

The P85 according to many was a PITA(myself included).
It bent and jammed in oh so many ways.

The Fibes throwoff was simple and very easy to adjust.

The older Pearl FF throwoff was pretty simple to operate.

The Tama Mastercraft snares were pretty simplistic too.

Yamaha had a nice simple throw on their SD493.

Many companies seem to change just to change.

Last edited:
M

Matt Bo Eder

I agree there were some clunkers,the Tama King Beat sucked,the Yamaha super sensitive too and the Pearl Jupiter was a mess.

I would rather have given a prostate exam to a cadaver than play any of those snares.

I liked the sound of the Ludwig SS,but the snare was pretty complcated.
I have as of yet to play I Dyna I liked.

The P85 according to many was a PITA(myself included).
It bent and jammed in oh so many ways.

The Fibes throwoff was simple and very easy to adjust.

The older Pearl FF throwoff was pretty simple to operate.

The Tama Mastercraft snares were pretty simplistic too.

Yamaha had a nice simple throw on their SD493.

Many companies seem to change just to change.
I know back in the day Buddy had to have had access to a Billy Gladstone snare. I'm surprised that wasn't one of his favorite snares. I never saw an original Gretsch/Gladstone, but I recall seeing a Lang Percussion Gladstone snare once, and it was a perfect replica to the original Gladstone - totally crisp all the time since it's main audience is the symphonic crowd.

RobertM

Platinum Member
Steve Maxwell's drum shop carries old Buddy Fibes snares off and on. I got one as a gift a couple years ago: '70s era, I believe, acrylic shell, with Fibes's extended snare wires.

I would suggest looking at a Sonor SQ2. Their snares tend to have incredible sensitivity and crispness. Grover custom snares can be ordered with an extended snare wire system that is not cumbersome, uses Trick throw, and their snares offer great crispness depending on the wires you choose from their collection of specialty wires. Lastly, take a look at Canopus's snares.

ttscott95

Cheers for all the help folks, I'll look into all of these. I guess companies don't really make these things anymore as there isn't much demand for it. Ideally looking to spend under £600 (not sure what that is in dollars, 800 or so?) All help is still welcome! Thanks:)

Red Menace

Platinum Member
If you like that fiberglass/CF tone then I would look into a Tempus snare. Look for a used one because I head that guy can be a terror to deal with. I have a 14x6 blue one that I scored used. Slightly woody but very dry tone.

Mendozart

Platinum Member
The Jenkins Martin snares would fill the bill admirably. Fibreglass shell construction and really well made. I played a few at the 2015 Chicago Vintage Drum Show and was really impressed with these drums, both snares and sets. Probably the ideal gigging kits.
The very early Fibes snares (not kits), were actually spun fiberglass, like the Jenkins-Martin drums. Send me a pm if you want to discuss further.

Greg Mendoza