Modern Drummer Magazine March Issue

Neal Pert

Well, COVID has certainly been hitting in VERY different ways depending on your industry, your profession, your supply chains, your location, your government. Sad to hear about Modern Drummer. It sounds like it's on its last legs. I subscribed from like 1981 until 2000 or so and even went to the festivals and all that. But man-- they did not navigate the shift to the internet well at all. With the rise of so many other ways to learn about drummers and drumming, they never figured out how to get on top. Seems like Drumeo has got the model that MD should've gone with for the instructional side, and podcasts seem to have taken over the interviews.

Lee-Bro

My wife and I have not stopped working since covid started, and we are in California which at the time was one of the worst places besides NY. so we have a hard time when everyone uses covid as an excuse for being lazy and incompetent. Neither my wife nor I work remotely either, she had an essential personnel letter just in case she was stopped while driving to work, I traveled around the glove and came back, basically made more money because of the stimulus checks that came even though we didn't lose any income... I said it before and say it again if people are too lazy to take steps to make their life better then I don't want to hear a single complaint. but using covid is just as lame as the spotify 100 top song list...(ask Rick Beato about it).

You're fortunate to not have had your income impacted by Covid. I have come through this ordeal so far mostly unscathed. However, my significant other's work dried up quite a bit. As a Financial Advisor (who also had an essential worker letter), I had dozens of clients lose their jobs outright or experienced a significant pay cut. Some of these clients were very well to do w/ significant financial resources and established careers only to have a virus halt them in their tracks and undercut years of tactful planning that we had done. Others weren't so financially set or were in the process of becoming so. Covid decimated their lives and finances as well.

This wasn't across my entire client base but it happened to enough that I can say not one of them used Covid as an excuse, it was the reason things were for shit. So when someone tells me that Covid has made a their situation harder or damn near impossible, I'm not going to think they're too lazy. I'm going to listen to them. I've been a F.A. for 20+ years and I've seen enough to know that outside forces (economy, virus outbreak, regulatory changes) are beyond our control and sometimes regardless of all the careful planning, the outside forces can put someone in a dire financial situation they didn't cause or are to blame.

I've also taught financial literacy and education classes to young people and those who are considered "hard to employ." These include those with limited education (usually working on their GED), people with misdemeanors or non-violent & non-financial felonies, and those receiving social benefits. Contrary to popular belief, those who receive benefits do not have them automatically dropped once they start working, most of the benefit programs have a phase-out scale based on income. In my 20+ years of working "in the money industry" and teaching these classes, I can count on two fingers the number of people who chose not to work because even with the phased scale of benefits, the costs of getting to and from work combined with child care, actually put them deeper in the financial hole. I've also heard people say, "Well, they shouldn't have had kids if they can't afford them, so I don't feel sorry for them." I can't tell you how many McMansions I've seen purchased by people who couldn't afford them either. Yet these people don't get the same scorn and judgement as those with limited education, few employment options, and children.

When we hear about "systematic oppression," this is one of the things that's being talked about: how those in modest financial settings or the poor are bound by the invisible fence of judgement, educational opportunities, work opportunities, a flawed legal system, access to quality healthcare, and frankly flat-out discrimination. This isn't some hippy-dippy Liberal position. It's the position that we are indeed endowed with certain unalienable rights such as Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness*. But we've created a situation where the legislative, educational, commerce, legal, and economic systems work against that for a lot of people.

*John Locke wrote in The Second Treatise of Government that people had fundamental rights including Life, Liberty, and Property. "Property" meaning not only physical land and possessions, but also the property of oneself, meaning as individuals, we owned our own body and that others couldn't possess title or ownership of another. But even since the beginning of American democracy, systems have been working against equality and democracy for everyone. Thomas Jefferson used Locke's writing in the Declaration of Independence, changing "Property" to "Pursuit of Happiness." This enabled two things: 1) It maintained voting rights to only land owners because if everyone was entitled to property, then everyone (read: white men) would have been able to vote. And the Founders certainly did not want some illiterate peasant to gain land*² and voting rights, and 2) It helped keep American slavery in-tact. By renaming "Property," it removed a provision in which abolitionists could argue that the Declaration of Independence made slavery illegal/anti-democracy.

*²Yes, there was Bounty Land for soldiers of the Continental Army. But it was a gov't process and most soldiers sold their warrants. Keep in mind what George Washington's career was prior to the Revolutionary War: surveyor. Guess which members of the military rec'd some of the best land awards and which members rec'd the less desirable pieces/locations (via their warrants).

So there you have it: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, et al are to blame for the demise of Modern Drummer magazine, all in the name of Freedom.

Unfortunately for MD, this was the issue that sealed their fate:
1623084502504.png

Last edited:

TMe

...we have a hard time when everyone uses covid as an excuse for being lazy and incompetent.
I never know if covid is a legitimate reason or a convenient excuse, so I try not to speculate.

I was complaining about the mail being slow a while back, and then I found out there was an outbreak at a major sorting station and the workers had to self-isolate whether they were sick or not. Considering that, it's amazing the mail was only a few days late. I felt like an idiot for suggesting that the posties were being bums.

doggyd69b

This wasn't across my entire client base but it happened to enough that I can say not one of them used Covid as an excuse, it was the reason things were for shit. So when someone tells me that Covid has made a their situation harder or damn near impossible, I'm not going to think they're too lazy. I'm going to listen to them.

young people and those who are considered "hard to employ." These include those with limited education (usually working on their GED), people with misdemeanors or non-violent & non-financial felonies, and those receiving social benefits. I can count on two fingers the number of people who chose not to work because even with the phased scale of benefits, the costs of getting to and from work combined with child care, actually put them deeper in the financial hole. I've also heard people say, "Well, they shouldn't have had kids if they can't afford them, so I don't feel sorry for them." I can't tell you how many McMansions I've seen purchased by people who couldn't afford them either. Yet these people don't get the same scorn and judgement as those with limited education, few employment options, and children.
I should have been more clear.. The people who I was referring to were those who still had to work, with the same amount of resources (aka our military administrative offices) yet they were severely delayed and Covid was used as an excuse for an entire year. We are getting to the point were things are getting finally back on track but the Covid excuse was definitely abused. (Those people are lazy enough as it is (and I can say that having done that work for a limited time) I was able to do in a very relaxed fashion a lot more tickets than any of them in one day (they take their time and sometimes barely complete 5 tickets a day, I completed 30 or 40, I am not super fast I just do my work and try to help as many as possible and notice I said in a relaxed manner I was not killing myself trying to accomplish the impossible so I know for a fact those people are extremely lazy and should be fired.
People considered hard to employ.....when I arrived in this country (born in the US but raised in MX yeah i know but it is a long story) I did not speak English and only had high school education. It took me a few months but I had my own car, my own apartment and was able to speak (badly) but at least I did what I had to do in order to improve my situation. Unless someone is physically or mentally disabled or has a bad criminal record (which that last one was by choice). I don't see any reason why people could not improve their lives I did with a lot less that most of them have (and take for granted).
I personally know at least 3 people who rather not work because at the moment are making the same or more money just on unemployment .
and you can't compare people buying houses they can't afford with those having 5 kids they also can't afford. The people buying houses will lose their house yet they can almost always star over and learn from that mistake. People having multiple kids will not be able to start over and they are setting up those kids for failure since they will not have a complete education and possible will continue to repeat the same cycle ("Oh I want 5 kids because I came from a large family and I want the same") I have heard that one many times.
Being ignorant is not a choice, remaining ignorant is. and before you get your feathers all ruffled I am not calling you ignorant I am referring to those people. (The 5 + children on minimum wage types).

doggyd69b

I never know if covid is a legitimate reason or a convenient excuse, so I try not to speculate.

I was complaining about the mail being slow a while back, and then I found out there was an outbreak at a major sorting station and the workers had to self-isolate whether they were sick or not. Considering that, it's amazing the mail was only a few days late. I felt like an idiot for suggesting that the posties were being bums.
I never said that X service was bad or not available I referred to people that were working under the same conditions and still chose to decrease their normally subpar productivity even more and blamed Covid for that they had no real reason for that decline on performance but yet they still got on the bandwagon and did it anyway. Those are the people I was complaining about.

doggyd69b

Well then I guess if you and your wife are fine then the rest of the world is just complaining about nothing. It's weird because due to covid my wife lost over 170k in 1 year. I guess she is just lazy.
Read the replies to previous posts.

TMe

....I referred to people that were working under the same conditions and still chose to decrease their normally subpar productivity even more and blamed Covid for that they had no real reason for that decline on performance...
Yup. I've seen that too. It's become a bit of a joke where I work. I'm just reluctant to point it out because... I never know.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I think MD is on its last legs. I gave up trying to figure out what’s up w my subscription. I received a total of three issues over the last 10 months. MD informed me on multiple occasions that my issue was mailed to my address in Indiana. I live in Massachusetts. Multiple times over the year, my online access was wonky and I couldn’t access their site.
I think MDs troubles extend beyond Covid. I mean they’re still doing live discussions with drummers and industry people, but making zero mention about their print and online service being pretty much in shambles.
To restore my confidence, I’d like to see a message or indication that MD cares about its fate.

Wow! What kinda mess did I start. Haven't checked back on this original post in a while, but boy, did it grow a life of its own. I'll just wait to see what, if anything, the mail carrier delivers next week. Thanks for your responses everyone.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Print Magazines were in trouble even before Covid . Compare a 1970’s or 80’s Modern Drummer to a current year issue . The older issues had way more pages . They had far more advertising revenue than the current issues . Modern Drummer lost my interest around the early 90’s .
Truth!
When the digital options became a thing, I knew the print media was in trouble. When a magazine goes digital, they can include more content at less cost than putting the same content on paper.
MD is no exception. If you have a full sized tablet, you've got the same mag but with more stuff.

That being said...

There's just something about physical media that's always appealed to us players. Having the back issues on the shelf to reread is just a pleasure digital media can't give.

Thin Shell

I prefer a printed magazine or news paper to an electronic version. Sames goes for CD or Vinyl or DVD or Bluray over a digital download or stream.

This picture would lose something if he were just looking at an ipad...

drummer-and-lyricist-neil-peart-of-canadian-progressive-rock-group-picture-id1199870652

cbphoto

Gold Member
This picture would lose something if he were just looking at an ipad...
While I agree that reading on electronic devices is not as productive as print (eg. Retention), photos can look better on electronic devices because they have a greater range of brightness and colors (a larger “gamut”).

But having cool pics on my tablet is nothing compared to prints hanging on my walls. I live with them every day and they help inform my aesthete.

Pics in my phone are for blackmailing others.