Modern Drummer Magazine March Issue

Like many of you, I have been a long time subscriber to Modern Drummer magazine. On March 11th, I received an email stating that, due to COVID-19, their printer was unable to get the issue out for the normal delivery timeframe. Have any of you received such an email? I received this on the heels of not receiving the February issue. When I emailed their Customer Service, they got back to me stating that my subscription had run out. I then had to send them the copy of my paid receipt for two full years of subscription service before I the C/S rep stated she couldn't find my information using whatever method she used to look up my account. At least this problem was rectified and I received the February issue.

It's bad enough the magazine has slipped since the days of its founder, Ron Spagnardi, but I'm beginning to think it's not really relevant enough with regard to "modern drumming," and education, to continue reading it. This will be my last last subscription after forty years, with little doubt. Is it me, or have others had a similar experience?

Last edited:

Juniper

Gold Member
Not similar but I slightly envy you in that we've not been able to get Modern Drummer in the UK since the May 2020 (Neil Peart tribute) isssue.

I've another (non drumming) magazine subscription and they went out of print due to covid after a year of shut down too so unfortunately the effects of the pandemic have hit the magazine industry very hard.

Hope you manage to get it sorted and get your issue.

Bozozoid

I haven't seen DRUM....HEAD..magazine at Barnes and noble since the beginning of covid. Anyone seen THAT publication as well?.

RickP

Gold Member
Print Magazines were in trouble even before Covid . Compare a 1970’s or 80’s Modern Drummer to a current year issue . The older issues had way more pages . They had far more advertising revenue than the current issues . Modern Drummer lost my interest around the early 90’s .

Traps! Was an excellent and very short lived magazine , wonderful lengthy articles on some true legends .

Drumhead is the best of the current magazines but the last year or so has been relatively mediocre content wise .

Bozozoid

It's been awhile. Two issues that just blew me out was the Andy Newmark and Steve Gadd issues. Sensational reviews.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I subscribed to MD print and online back in August. I’ve gotten three print issues since August. I didn’t get any email, but I actually received the March edition in the mail today!

moodman

I've got the latest issue 2 days ago, it is bigger than usual, some really good articles, nice to see Alex Van Halen on the cover, great drummer in the shadow late great Eddie, nice to hear his comments.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I've got the latest issue 2 days ago, it is bigger than usual, some really good articles, nice to see Alex Van Halen on the cover, great drummer in the shadow late great Eddie, nice to hear his comments.
Alex's interview was a good read. I was hoping for a longer interview, but I'll take what I can get.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I got the March issue today. My subscription is new, so I have only gotten February and March. In the past when I subscribed, in April I got the May issue. I subscribed because I have not seen any drum magazine in a store since Covid 19. Peace and goodwill.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Covid has literally become the excuse for everything and every failure. We all know everyone is working from home, so putting up banners saying we are behind due to Covid is just lame. That's been my experience, trying to call my insurance company, my bank, the auto dealer, literally everything. Printing presses appear to be hit by Covid too and can't print...Lame!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
It's online only now.

After the magazine was sold the new owners went from monthly issues to four issues a year then eventually shut down the physical magazine entirely back in 2019.

A shame, really enjoyed that magazine too.
I got that magazine since day one, and it was printed every other month. They lost my subscription once, made up the issues, gave me two free years, and then just seemed to go awry. I did not re-new.

Bozozoid

Covid has literally become the excuse for everything and every failure. We all know everyone is working from home, so putting up banners saying we are behind due to Covid is just lame. That's been my experience, trying to call my insurance company, my bank, the auto dealer, literally everything. Printing presses appear to be hit by Covid too and can't print...Lame!
7 weeks go by..no federal refund yet...i call H&R block..the lady says covid has slowed things down etc etc. Covid?..slowed electronic refund?.i guess?.

Juniper

Gold Member

It’s not an excuse, there’s a worldwide pandemic that’s killed just under 3 million people.

Unfortunately magazines have to scale back and put people out of work or on temporary contracts as the newsagents that sell them have been forced to close.

Maybe some perspective is needed.

doggyd69b

My wife and I have not stopped working since covid started, and we are in California which at the time was one of the worst places besides NY. so we have a hard time when everyone uses covid as an excuse for being lazy and incompetent. Neither my wife nor I work remotely either, she had an essential personnel letter just in case she was stopped while driving to work, I traveled around the glove and came back, basically made more money because of the stimulus checks that came even though we didn't lose any income... I said it before and say it again if people are too lazy to take steps to make their life better then I don't want to hear a single complaint. but using covid is just as lame as the spotify 100 top song list...(ask Rick Beato about it).

ToneT

The bills never stopped coming in the mail when the pandemic hit.
The March issue was the last one I've received.
I've called customer service asking for subscription renewal. Nothing. Nothing in the mail.
I was informed that my subscription would end after April. No April issue came.

Something isn't right here.

The bills never stopped coming in the mail when the pandemic hit.
The March issue was the last one I've received.
I've called customer service asking for subscription renewal. Nothing. Nothing in the mail.
I was informed that my subscription would end after April. No April issue came.

Something isn't right here.
Something isn't quite right, for sure. At the end of May, I received a second copy of the Alex Van Halen issue instead of the current issue. I wrote customer service, replying to their response to me in April, as to the issues they've been having with their printer, which they were blaming on the pandemic...still. Yet at the height of the pandemic, I received all the issues last year. I suspect their new Editor was brought in to help Ron Spagnardi's family, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are having financial issues. Why would they be reprinting interviews from the 80's and 90's, and be selling old magazine covers as "fine art" ? This seems like an organization in trouble to me.

charliedrummer

I've received only two issues since the beginning of the year, with the March issue being the last. I've been a subscriber since 1984. There was a time when I couldn't wait for the next issue to arrive and would read each one cover to cover. Things have gone down hill over the last 10 years and I've come close to not renewing on several occasions. This is the last straw. I'm now done with MD.

This seems like an organization in trouble to me.
It does sound that way, but (as has been mentioned) the entire publishing industry is and has been for some time now in a state of crisis. I mean, growing up in the 70s and 80s, the idea that Newsweek and Rolling Stone would be on the verge of annihilation would have been beyond absurd. At the turn of the century, Newsweek was selling 4,000,000 copies per week. Now they're around 100,000. We've gotten free subscriptions to Time magazine a few times over the past couple years and I can't believe how thin each issue is. So it saddens but does not surprise me if Modern Drummer is also in trouble.

Trigger

My wife and I have not stopped working since covid started, and we are in California which at the time was one of the worst places besides NY. so we have a hard time when everyone uses covid as an excuse for being lazy and incompetent. Neither my wife nor I work remotely either, she had an essential personnel letter just in case she was stopped while driving to work, I traveled around the glove and came back, basically made more money because of the stimulus checks that came even though we didn't lose any income... I said it before and say it again if people are too lazy to take steps to make their life better then I don't want to hear a single complaint. but using covid is just as lame as the spotify 100 top song list...(ask Rick Beato about it).
Well then I guess if you and your wife are fine then the rest of the world is just complaining about nothing. It's weird because due to covid my wife lost over 170k in 1 year. I guess she is just lazy.