Modern drum finishes and sun fading

Warrenwood

Does anybody know anything about how modern drum finishes react to sunlight exposure if the drums are placed in front of a west facing window? Will they fade in a couple of years of sitting there?

The reason I'm asking: I've been thinking about rearranging my music room to keep another set assembled for playing convenience (and to impress guests when they visit.) With three kits set up, I've run out of unbroken wall space. The remaining wall has a large, floor-to-ceiling, west facing window. The window is modern, vinyl sash, double-pane, energy efficient with slight tinting.

No way I'd put the vintage sets there! On the other hand, my DW set is cherry stain, with what looks to be a deep clear coat. Is the clear coat a UV protecting layer? Would it fade from sun exposure over a couple of years?

Warrenwood

It's not something I'd want to put to the test with a kit I cared about. How about covering your drums with a protective material of some sort when you aren't playing them? They'd be shielded from dust as well.
It's a thought. I guess I could use dark, king-size flat sheets.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Sunlight will yellow lacquers and wraps. Sheets might not be thick enough to stop UV. I'd go something more substantial. I acquired a used set of Mapex lacquer drums years ago that originally lived in front of a sunny window. The side facing the window yellowed.

NouveauCliche

It's not something I'd want to put to the test with a kit I cared about. How about covering your drums with a protective material of some sort when you aren't playing them? They'd be shielded from dust as well.
That's a great idea.

I always think of that scene in "That Thing You Do" when he pulls the sheet off his drums and there's that satisfying cymbals "zingggg" as it pulls away. Fun fun.

C.M. Jones

That's a great idea.

I always think of that scene in "That Thing You Do" when he pulls the sheet off his drums and there's that satisfying cymbals "zingggg" as it pulls away. Fun fun.
Yeah, drums and prolonged sun exposure don't mix. Larry's right about sheets lacking true UV defense, however. Something less permeable might be better. Otherwise, layering thick sheets should suffice if your windows already have UV-reducing treatments.

wraub

Get some curtains in there, and open them only when wanted (or the guests arrive). ;)

IBitePrettyHard

What about indirect sunlight coming through the window? From a cursory google search it seems that UV light does in fact reflect off of surfaces, but at a reduced rate.

Warrenwood

Actually I thought of another solution. My daughter keeps her keyboard at my house, and my son keeps a couple of guitar amps. I moved them in front of the window! ;)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm guessing your kids won't like that solution either, sunlight, tolex and plastic don't get on well either.

I know I wouldn't want my guitar amps to be absorbing UV to protect my drums. What's protecting the guitar amp.

Packing blankets work good.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Just get some blackout curtains. Sunlight does not penetrate blackout curtains. I have them in my bedroom. It's super dark in there. They help keep the temperature in the room down also.

The Arkansas sun is very rude in the summer. Blackout curtains are your friend.

notvinnie

You should be able to apply a film to the window that will prevent the sun's radiation from passing through (or at least most of it). Check with companies in your area that apply window tinting.

vyacheslav

Here's another cheap solution:

Head to your local thrift store and buy a bed comforter. You can usually find them at thrift stores for $10 or less. It's thicker than a sheet so it will absorb the UV rays and your comforter will get faded, but not your drums. Just to be sure that the finished part of each drum is sufficiently covered.

Warrenwood

I'm guessing your kids won't like that solution either, sunlight, tolex and plastic don't get on well either.

I know I wouldn't want my guitar amps to be absorbing UV to protect my drums. What's protecting the guitar amp.
My kids are in their 30s, have professional jobs, and have houses with plenty of room to store their amps! ;)