"Mocktobans" - some homebrew drumbuilding

dwsabianguy

This was my first pandemic project! First drums I've made from scratch, too. Made from fiberglass model rocket fuselages, with Tama hoops, DFD lugs, and Gibraltar mounts so I can mount them non-parallel. 13.5, 15.5, 17.5, and 18.875 inches deep. I'm shocked at how much tone these things have!

I've got two more shells that were leftover of the full-length tube I purchased, then had cut to length, so I'm going to have two more finished before too long, but I will most likely sell those.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Made from fiberglass model rocket fuselages, with Tama hoops, DFD lugs, and Gibraltar mounts so I can mount them non-parallel. 13.5, 15.5, 17.5, and 18.875 inches deep.
Wow. Killer. Sound a little warmer than the standard Octo/Rocket toms that so many people have. Distinctive. Well dove. Nice playing on the demo, too.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Are the lengths randomly chosen and the tones worked or was there some science behind them. And were they changed from where you originally cut them. Nicely done.

iCe

I have 3 Pearl rocket toms and although different material, still the same cool sound! I have 6x12, 6x15 and 6x18 (and maybe order the 6x21 soon too)
Looks like 6" as well?

NouveauCliche

This was my first pandemic project! First drums I've made from scratch, too. Made from fiberglass model rocket fuselages, with Tama hoops, DFD lugs, and Gibraltar mounts so I can mount them non-parallel. 13.5, 15.5, 17.5, and 18.875 inches deep. I'm shocked at how much tone these things have!

I've got two more shells that were leftover of the full-length tube I purchased, then had cut to length, so I'm going to have two more finished before too long, but I will most likely sell those.
Cooooool!!! Those sound great - awesome pandemic project!

dwsabianguy

These are ostensibly 6” but the actual outer diameter is just barely over 5.5 inch. I tried to find something closer to the 5.8” for drum shells, but I couldn’t find anything, especially not in this nifty blue dye.

The depths are kinda-sorta Tama dimensions; the middle four that Mike Portnoy uses. The 18.875 ended up that length because the tube I ordered was 30” and that dimension left me an 11” section. I’m working on a DT cover thing and needed the octobans for a couple of the grooves, and since I’ve always like his octoban sound I figured I’d just use his dimensions. Assuming I keep making these, I may have to take a whack (heh) at some super long ones.

Last edited:

SYMBOLIC DEATH

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the project cost? Years ago I was thinking of making these, and you may have found the shell material I've been looking for.

johnwesley

Silver Member
These are ostensibly 6” but the actual outer diameter is just barely over 5.5 inch. I tried to find something closer to the 5.8” for drum shells, but I couldn’t find anything, especially not in this nifty blue dye.

The depths are kinda-sorta Tama dimensions; the middle four that Mike Portnoy uses. The 18.875 ended up that length because the tube I ordered was 30” and that dimension left me an 11” section. I’m working on a DT cover thing and needed the octobans for a couple of the grooves, and since I’ve always like his octoban sound I figured I’d just use his dimensions. Assuming I keep making these, I may have to take a whack (heh) at some super long ones.
If the diameter is 5.5", how did you get a head and hoop to fit?

dwsabianguy

If the diameter is 5.5", how did you get a head and hoop to fit?
Bass drum lugs work perfectly to get the tension rod spacing right. The rest is just like any other drum, just with extra collar showing. There are plenty of drums out there with undersized shells and bearing edges. Premier, Sonor, Canopus Zelkova, timpani, etc.

dwsabianguy

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the project cost? Years ago I was thinking of making these, and you may have found the shell material I've been looking for.
It was not inexpensive. Shells were $400, heads and hoops and lugs and such were an additional $250 at least.

dwsabianguy

B954E92A-4969-4B09-9A2F-686158E926DD.jpeg
Stayed up until 3 in the morning last night sanding and drilling the last two shells. Today we start the clear lacquering process. The Tama hoops are low profile by design, and I’m pleased to say that I have caused no damage to the existing bearing edges. These shells are crazy strong.

dwsabianguy

Got the shells back from the painter. The clear lacquer has intensified the color quite a bit! There's still a little orange peel in the finish, so I'll wet-sand and buff these things when I get the time. For now I need them back on the kit so I can rehearse my Neil Peart fills. No really, my Rush tribute group is doing an hour live stream on Saturday night.

EB7096BF-28F6-44EE-9D26-D51FB30905D1.jpeg
D10CECDD-45B2-4D91-A1A4-81D4E1A3C01B.jpeg

To make the shells, I ordered two tubes from a model rocket supplier whose name refers to a bovine mental disease, a 60-inch and a 30-inch, and had them cut the tubes for me. The longest and shortest are from the 30, which came about two weeks after the middle four. That's not a problem, I knew going in that it would be a special order. Those two, though, seem to have a totally different weave. The shells are a higher pitch, which of course isn't great for the low pitched guy, and light penetrates more on these two. For now I have the shortest one assembled in lieu of the deepest. It's not the same. Might have to order another shell and make sure that it's the right weave...