Mixing Vistalites with Wood Drums

I recently restored an old 12x24 single-tension wood bass drum. I mostly bought it because it was very cheap and looked cool. I wasn't planning on keeping it, but it sounds better than expected. I now want to piece together a random kit of drums I like (for cheap preferably). I've always liked the tequila sunrise vistalites and am considering converting a concert tom to a floor tom. Question here being would it be a weird mix to use a wood mounted tom, wood bass drum, and then a vistalite tom? Would it make sense to then have a vistalite mounted tom to balance it out instead of wood?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Stop making sense!

A favorite quote:

The best way to do art is to dispense with what's good and bad and just get on with it. Kind of applies.

Would a blind person have a problem with it?

If you break it down, it's nothing but a visual "issue" so if you're OK with it, that's all there is to it.

Wave your freak flag high.

Look at it this way, you could start a trend. There's no failing here.

Stroker

Platinum Member
Stop making sense!

A favorite quote:

The best way to do art is to dispense with what's good and bad and just get on with it. Kind of applies.

If you break it down, it's nothing but a visual "issue" so if you're OK with it, that's all there is to it.

You come up with the grandest of replies, Larry! (y)

Stop making sense!

A favorite quote:

well yeah- the plan was to do it regardless. it's a fun process and almost a bit like a game at the moment trying to find cool cheap drums. I was just interested in striking up some conversation and hearing some thoughts of others.

Totally, do something wonky. Wood bass, vista floor, roto rack tom, brass snare. Something bizarre. Dont get cymbals either. Tambourine for hats, cowbell and woodblock for rides, windchimes. Put a car door in there too just for the 🤘 of it.

This is the best answer ever.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but I am not trying to do this to be experimental or extreme. Simply just piecing together drums I like.

the question 'would a blind person have a problem with it' is basically why I asked the question in the first place. I was just wondering if the different shell compositions would sound funny together.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
No sarcasm. Mr. IP is an awesome guy.

It depends on who is listening if it sounds funny. It's something that IMO shouldn't be of concern. Different is cool by nature.

Yes, they won't likely have the same character from drum to drum, but that's the whole point here. That can sound cool. Embrace the oddness.

This sounds like a kit that celebrates non-convention.

Personally I like matching AND non matching families of tone in a kit. It's all good.

Ringo had some interesting non matching tom sounds happening on some of the Beatles records.

I think if you are inspired to try something unconventional, go for it. It would be a waste if you let us talk you out of it.

Absolutely do it if you want . Many of us played them and still do and they still roam the earth . They’re called “Frankenkits”. Most of us who did, did so out of necessity. No money in the house growing up, or had a 3 or whatever piece and maybe added on different shells due to lack of not finding matching shells in the days of no internet . There are many reasons people do/did what your thinking of . With tuning and head selection , great and or interesting sound is possible. Until recently I played a 70’s 3 piece 12,16,22 pearl black wood/fiberglass kit with 10,12 70’s chrome over maple Ludwig concert toms, and early 80’s (?) Remo roto-toms 8,10,12 with a 68 Ludwig Supra. Now i only started back up 2 years ago after a long break and didn’t replace the old heads (15years old) as I had expected to find something newer sooner than I just have and wanted all cash going towards a new kit , but I still got the kit sounding decent enough to play . Back in the 80’s and 90’s with good heads and tuning I had the kit sounding awesome and gigged that thing all over the place . There are no rules when it comes to this . So I too say ..... get ur freak on ... and give it a shot and see what you come up with . In fact someone else can clarify but I forget who it’s is that has a jelly bean type kit with all toms converted from different snare drums. Pretty awesome 🙌🏻👍🏻🤘🏻.

Check this thing out I just found online . Same shell type I think , but you get the idea .

642ECC99-62A4-4B0D-B293-15B97FA4465D.jpeg

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but I am not trying to do this to be experimental or extreme. Simply just piecing together drums I like.
The car door was sarcasm. The rest, I just dont think it matters. If you can communicate musical ideas with it, it should be okay no matter what parts it's made from. I don't think the blind guy would mind at all.

No sarcasm. Mr. IP is an awesome guy.
Thanks Uncle Larry! Right back at ya!

The car door was sarcasm. The rest, I just dont think it matters. If you can communicate musical ideas with it, it should be okay no matter what parts it's made from. I don't think the blind guy would mind at all.
I figured so, just hard to tell over the internet sometimes! currently trying to work out a deal for the vistalite tom. if that goes well I'll move onto looking for a mounted tom.

Absolutely do it if you want . Many of us played them and still do and they still roam the earth . They’re called “Frankenkits”. Most of us who did, did so out of necessity. No money in the house growing up, or had a 3 or whatever piece and maybe added on different shells due to lack of not finding matching shells in the days of no internet . There are many reasons people do/did what your thinking of . With tuning and head selection , great and or interesting sound is possible. Until recently I played a 70’s 3 piece 12,16,22 pearl black wood/fiberglass kit with 10,12 70’s chrome over maple Ludwig concert toms, and early 80’s (?) Remo roto-toms 8,10,12 with a 68 Ludwig Supra. Now i only started back up 2 years ago after a long break and didn’t replace the old heads (15years old) as I had expected to find something newer sooner than I just have and wanted all cash going towards a new kit , but I still got the kit sounding decent enough to play . Back in the 80’s and 90’s with good heads and tuning I had the kit sounding awesome and gigged that thing all over the place . There are no rules when it comes to this . So I too say ..... get ur freak on ... and give it a shot and see what you come up with . In fact someone else can clarify but I forget who it’s is that has a jelly bean type kit with all toms converted from different snare drums. Pretty awesome 🙌🏻👍🏻🤘🏻.

Check this thing out I just found online . Same shell type I think , but you get the idea .

View attachment 91600
thanks for sharing! that kit is certainly a bit too much for me, but yeah haha

I was inspired by Revival Drum Shop who recently started posting some pictures of orphan kits they put together for sale.

Ransan

When I am bored, I will use my 16 and 18 vista floor toms with my PDP FS kit which has birch. I will arrange in a Bonham type tom configuration 14,16,18,22. Putting my 14 PDP in a snare basket.
I definitely would experiment with any other type of shell(s) if I had.

When I am bored, I will use my 16 and 18 vista floor toms with my PDP FS kit which has birch. I will arrange in a Bonham type tom configuration 14,16,18,22. Putting my 14 PDP in a snare basket.
I definitely would experiment with any other type of shell(s) if I had.
oh cool! I was hoping someone with firsthand experience was going to chime in.

Ransan

I've always liked the tequila sunrise vistalite s and am considering converting a concert tom to a floor tom.
Noo! I must defend the conversions of concert toms (lol), especially a horizontally seamed shell like a tequila sunrise, which if is in original concert state, would likely be vintage. Surely success rate can’t be that high for drilling.
Must’ve glossed over that thing lol.
What size tom are you wanting to convert?

Noo! I must defend the conversions of concert toms (lol), especially a horizontally seamed shell like a tequila sunrise, which if is in original concert state, would likely be vintage. Surely success rate can’t be that high for drilling.
Must’ve glossed over that thing lol.
What size tom are you wanting to convert?
haha- it's a 15x12.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Surely success rate can’t be that high for drilling.
This would definitely be a start as small as possible and continue going up by bit size until the desired hole size is achieved using only the correct drill bit type of problem. Using a 1/4" wood bit from the get go would probably destroy the drum.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
^ What Mr Sarcastic said.

Some drilling lube of a safe variety for acrylic wouldn't hurt. Drilling S.......L.......O......W.... so as not to build up heat within the acrylic that could weaken things later would be a good thing to do as well.

Ransan

I do enjoy mixing it in with my vista shells, maybe cause there’s quite a bit I can test hearing wise. Mostly, when I pull out my vistas (like now that I have been furloughed). I use my PDP as a bass on my octaplus config. The punchy bass attack, let’s me hear the toms sing more clearly in melody. My 24 vista boomer blends with my melodic toms, so this combo puts them in different perspective, becomes a very punchy kit with CTs and the PDP shell material, as opposed to punchy CTs blended with a boom.
Here is my set up now ala Mr. Blaine and Mr. Schwartz with their massive concert kits headed with a different kick (except I don’t think they would rack their 6” beside the 15” lol, or would they?).
1C8BA40C-0D30-4DDB-BE94-8F9B060EB79F.jpeg

Fair enough, a 15” vista in a melodic size as a floor tom should sound amazingly interesting paired anywhere. What rack size are you pairing with?