Mixing Sabian / Zildjian Cymbals

jagphillyfan1

Hey guys, I've been looking at a couple cymbals recently. Currently, I only use Zildjian cymbals, but I'm looking into adding a Zildjian K Hybrid Crash along with a Sabian AA Rock Ride. I'm just wondering if you guys think these cymbals can sound good together being from different manufacturers. Thanks,

John

A very strange thing will happen when you add that one Sabian. All the other cymbals will be terrified by the newcomer and will start breaking because their molecular structure will break down. You can wait until they each break one at a time, or you can just get rid of them now, and get a whole herd of the stronger dominant bread. :)

You should try them together and see how they sound.
I have a 20" Sabian HH Chinese along with an all Zildjian set up and it sounds gr8.

That depends: do they? Play them together and see how they sound together. If they sound good to your ears, then yes. If they sound bad, then no. I have mainly zildjian with a paiste crash and wuhan china and splash mixed in. Sounds phenomenal! Personally i'd add more paiste and sabian, but the music store closest to me has a lot more zildjian, so it's a bit more complicated to find exactly what I want.

A very strange thing will happen when you add that one Sabian. All the other cymbals will be terrified by the newcomer and will start breaking because their molecular structure will break down. You can wait until they each break one at a time, or you can just get rid of them now, and get a whole herd of the stronger dominant bread. :)

Sticks, I know you are just joking when you say these kind of things, which is fine once in a while. But you say things like this concerning mapex and sabian quite often.

The truth is, all of the manufacturers make quality products. Sabians are no better than zildjians, and vice versa. It's all about what the player likes, needs, and wants. One is certainly not better than the other. I prefer zildjian to sabian. However I still recognize that Sabian makes quality products, even though I may not like them as much. And I'm sure that I could easily find some Sabian models I liked and was willing to play, and I imagine that you could do the same with Zildjian. Hell, I havn't heard every Sabian cymbal; there probably is a Sabian cymbal somewhere that I would like better than my Zildjians.

To the OP, combining cymbal companies is a common practice among us non-endorsers. Those are both pretty explosive and bright cymbals, I'm sure they would sound great together.

As I usually advise most people, if you are looking at these new cymbals in person, take a couple of yours along and audition them together. It's the only real way you're going to know, and even after that, you may hear somethings at your home that you didn't hear at the store. Even with the same manufacturer and same series of cymbals, I take some of mine along to be able to better judge their sound in relation to what I already own. In my opinion, it's better than a "guess and by-golly" type of purchase.

Dennis

Sticks, I know you are just joking when you say these kind of things, which is fine once in a while. But you say things like this concerning mapex and sabian quite often.

The truth is, all of the manufacturers make quality products. Sabians are no better than zildjians, and vice versa. It's all about what the player likes, needs, and wants. One is certainly not better than the other. I prefer zildjian to sabian. However I still recognize that Sabian makes quality products, even though I may not like them as much. And I'm sure that I could easily find some Sabian models I liked and was willing to play, and I imagine that you could do the same with Zildjian. Hell, I havn't heard every Sabian cymbal; there probably is a Sabian cymbal somewhere that I would like better than my Zildjians.

To the OP, combining cymbal companies is a common practice among us non-endorsers. Those are both pretty explosive and bright cymbals, I'm sure they would sound great together.
Oh come on buddy. It has been a long time since I had some fun. Don't' be too serious. They are all good. I really don't care what anyone buys anymore. As long as they are happy and like what they have. Don't take any of this too seriously. I am trying not to. It is just drums after all. :)

Oh come on buddy. It has been a long time since I had some fun. Don't' be too serious. They are all good. I really don't care what anyone buys anymore. As long as they are happy and like what they have. Don't take any of this too seriously. I am trying not to. It is just drums after all. :)

You've got a good point. I think we should eliminate all quality drum and cymbal manufacturers and just play sound percussion and first act to get rid of all these arguments and choices!

I've been mixing Sabian and Zildjian pies for years and it hasn't got anyone killed yet. In over 30 years of drumming I've probably only NOT mixed cymbals 1% of the time (if that). If it sounds good to you, then by all means...

As I usually advise most people, if you are looking at these new cymbals in person, take a couple of yours along and audition them together. It's the only real way you're going to know, and even after that, you may hear somethings at your home that you didn't hear at the store. Even with the same manufacturer and same series of cymbals, I take some of mine along to be able to better judge their sound in relation to what I already own. In my opinion, it's better than a "guess and by-golly" type of purchase.

Dennis

Heck, he doesn't even have to bring his cymbals to the shop. Most stores give you a 30-day money back guarantee. Buy 'em and take 'em home and use them the way you really would, and then take them back if they don't work out.

I'm dangerous in a Sam Ash or Guitar Center with my American Express card and I need a particular sound for a two-day project.... ;)

I've been mixing Sabian and Zildjian pies for years and it hasn't got anyone killed yet. In over 30 years of drumming I've probably only NOT mixed cymbals 1% of the time (if that). If it sounds good to you, then by all means...

+1

It is okay to mix cymbals!

GJS

Dennis
This is a great point right here. Heed his advise. On the weekend I was at a store that had two of almost every Sabian cymbal in stock. I wanted to get a 16" Evolution to complete my evolution set, to put with my new kit. I had a specific pitch in mind of where I wanted it to be behind the 17 and 18 Evolution that I already had at home 600 miles away. Out of the 10 16's that I tried, there were two distinct groups of pitches, aside from there sound quality. I went with one from the lower pitched group. When I got home and set it up, I realized that I made the wrong choice. It is a great sounding cymbal but should be higher in pitch. It is too close to the 17. Any store will let you take your other cymbals in to compare what you have to what you want. If they don't, go elsewhere.

This is a great point right here. Heed his advise. On the weekend I was at a store that had two of almost every Sabian cymbal in stock. I wanted to get a 16" Evolution to complete my evolution set, to put with my new kit. I had a specific pitch in mind of where I wanted it to be behind the 17 and 18 Evolution that I already had at home 600 miles away. Out of the 10 16's that I tried, there were two distinct groups of pitches, aside from there sound quality. I went with one from the lower pitched group. When I got home and set it up, I realized that I made the wrong choice. It is a great sounding cymbal but should be higher in pitch. It is too close to the 17. Any store will let you take your other cymbals in to compare what you have to what you want. If they don't, go elsewhere.

+1 to this. I have always brought at least one of my cymbals, and usually several of them, in to the store to "test-drive" new cymbals. Nobody has ever given me heartburn about this - pro-level cymbals don't move quickly in most stores, so whatever helps you walk out the door several hundred dollars poorer, they are all for it. And like Sticks said, if the guy in the store doesn't want to let you do it, go to his competitor. Or at least threaten to.

Sticks can't catch a break, can he? It's okay, though, once he sets up his new Ludwig snare with his Saturns, all the wooden shells will spontaneously combust leaving behind only the dominant metal shell of the Brass Beauty.

But I think I found a way to restore harmony to a drum set. I've got a plan to set up cymbals from FOUR different manufacturers once the UPS man comes today.

I have never had an issue with cymbals not blending well. If you buy cymbals that are in the same ball park as far as brightness goes they should blend fine. I wouldn't mix a very dark crash with an A custom crash for instance. But an A custom mixed with a Sabian AAX or similar would be no problem for me. Rides are a different animal and I don't concern myself too much about how they will blend with my crashes. If I like the way it sounds I buy it.

+1 on the pitch thing though. If that's a concern for you then bring your cymbals along for comparison.

Sticks can't catch a break, can he? It's okay, though, once he sets up his new Ludwig snare with his Saturns, all the wooden shells will spontaneously combust leaving behind only the dominant metal shell of the Brass Beauty.

But I think I found a way to restore harmony to a drum set. I've got a plan to set up cymbals from FOUR different manufacturers once the UPS man comes today.
See now that is a good fun comeback. :) Lets have fun and enjoy this place guys. We all need a place to hang out and feel safe among friends. :)

See now that is a good fun comeback. :) Lets have fun and enjoy this place guys. We all need a place to hang out and feel safe among friends. :)

Sticks if you're looking for a great deal on some additional Saturn sizes I found this ebay offer.

:)

Sticks if you're looking for a great deal on some additional Saturn sizes I found this ebay offer.

:)

Should have sent him a Zildjian link too.

I know it sounds like an impossible ask, but hey, he just bought a Ludwig drum......I now know that anything is possible!! :)

OP, in case you hadn't picked up the vibe of this thread already. Mix 'n match to your hearts content.

Back