Mixing Sabian / Zildjian Cymbals

MN02

Of all the cymbal brands I've found sabians and Zildjians mix the easiest. Not surprising given the family connection. Whatever works for your ears and keeps you inspired - go for it.

Metamega

Of all the cymbal brands I've found sabians and Zildjians mix the easiest. Not surprising given the family connection. Whatever works for your ears and keeps you inspired - go for it.
I'll have to agree with ya. I find Sabian and zildjian kind of use the same formula basically. Sabian does have a lot more special stuff like the vault and artisan series and hand hammered lines. For instance if you took two crashes from the same range like a Sabian as and zildjian a, I find their very similar in tone. Pitchight be different but their very warm cymbals. The k customs and HHx are very similar too in how their dark and bright. I suggest like everyone said and match with some of your cymbals. Just close your eyes and think of a song or sound your liking for. Play the cymbals in their corresponding parts and see if the sound works.

paistepower92

Let's see...I mix Sabian, Paiste, Dream, Meinl, UFiP (technically),and now Supernatural so i can safely say that there are no rules when it comes to cymbals.

Duckenheimer

A very strange thing will happen when you add that one Sabian. All the other cymbals will be terrified by the newcomer and will start breaking because their molecular structure will break down. You can wait until they each break one at a time, or you can just get rid of them now, and get a whole herd of the stronger dominant bread. :)
This is a scientifically sound analysis, but sometimes I put my 18" Agop Om onto my 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride and the Sabian, trapped, submits entirely to the dark Turkish mystique.

This is the only situation where it is safe to add my Zildjian ride.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
The guy who owns the drum shop I go to uses both Sabian and Zildjian in his personal kit. They are pretty close, all things considered. Peace and goodwill.

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
I use a Zildjian K custom ride (or a sweet ride), Paiste prototype hats, a Wuhan China, and a Sabian AAX crash and ozone. They all work beautifully together, and I don't worry at all about what brand of cymbals I use. Heck, I even used a crappy no-name splash on my kit at one point, right next to the $500 K simply because it sounded great. I wouldn't worry about the brands at all, if the sound is good!

Now, as a side note, for me, I like Sabian the best. The Omnis, holy china, HHX thin raw bell crash... just the most beautiful and versatile cymbals I've ever heard! So I eventually hope to endorse them, and at that point I would use them exclusively. But as of right now, I don't have the money to get my dream setup, so I buy whatever used gear I come across, and don't allow the brand name to influence my choice at all!

Bgmnbeats57

I frequently mix these two cymbal lines and why not? Sabian was started by Andy Zildjian after all and I believe when he opened shop in Canada back in '82' he took some of Zildjians better cymbal makers with him. I've often found similarities in sound with both companies and call Sabian the Poor Man's Zildjian because they are often a little less expensive. I've also found their cymbals a bit more consistent sounding. Have tried Zildjian cymbals of the same line and make and found some sounded good to great while others sounded horrible . Funny how that works.

At present most of my setup are Sabians. I have a 21 HH Vintage Ride and a HHX high hat top cymbal ( with a 70s Vintage Zildjian rock hat bottom, nice hybrid hats those) plus and El Sabor 16 crash I love. I had the hardest time trying to find an 18 crash to go with the El Sabor which has a rather low pitch for a 16. Tried the18 El Sabor but it had this annoying brass after tone ( first rule of drumming, you must feel good about what you hit!). Tried an 18 Sabian Medium Thin Crash too but it's tone was too close to the El Sabor to provide a musical contrast. All these failures came from buying Ebay cymbals unheard and in frustration I finally took the El Sabor to my nearest Guitar Center ( aka The Evil Empire) to try it out with what they had in stock. Funny enough the best match was a Zildjian Custom A 19 crash that really matches the El Sabor nicely, almost perfectly, at least to my ears. Funny enough he Zildjian sounded better with my Sabian than any of the Sabians they had on hand. Just more proof these brands mix, and can mix together well.

timmdrum

Silver Member
Zombie thread! Walking Dead! :D🧟‍♂️

My OG cymbal setup in '91 was 14" A Zildjian New Beats, two Sabian AA medium crashes, and a AA Medium ride. Later I added a 10" A Splash. The crashes slowly got replaced with A Zildjian mediums. I'm still using the same hats & ride. At some point the splash finally cracked (I'm not hard on cymbals) and I replaced it with a cheap Paiste Alpha one in the same size (it was a different enough cymbal that it didn't stick out too badly). I later replaced that with another A Zildjian. So, I went with one Zildjian item & the rest Sabian, to the ride now being the only Sabian in a Zildjian family, except with Wuhan chinas in the mix also. As long as they all sound like a family, or, if they don't but you specifically don't want them to anyway, then it's all good.

Quai34

I'm not a drummer, I'm the keys player for the band and the sound guy too so, when Imdecided to buy a drums kit to have my band practicing in my basement, I did it the same way I buy keys/synths: to clement each ihem interim of sound and personality...
So, I read and read again and again about cymbals to get a correct basic knowledge and then, the first cymbals that came with the drums kit I bought used were Zildjain 70's, made on Canada, 21" heavy ride, Hihat new beat and 2 16", one medium and one medium heavy...Avedis Zildjian...
They sounded good all together but I wanted to try something else... Then, I added a 10" Splash Evolution Sabian, Meinl Dark Crash 17" and a Meinl Vintage Traditional 19".... Sounded awesome on the kit with the other cymba,s... Then, Sabain AA Holy Vhina 17", Sabian Mini Monster Stack (AA Holy China 10" bottom and Sabian Aero Splash 12" on top).... And finally, because I love so much the two cymbals of the mini monster alone, Imbought the opposite, which is Sabian AAHoly China mini 12" and the Aero Splash 10"....
Ha yes, I have a second ride on the kit, Zildjian A Custom Sweetnride 23", 25th anniversary....
Every single drummer who comes at home to try the kit (Tama vintage 1973 Royal Star) said that they all sound very good together....
But I hear the sound I want in my head, the note/pitch and then, next purchase will be either a Meinl Dual Splash dry 10" or a 18" Meinl trash crash... So, imagine, a kit with 3 different manufacturers....
So, take your time, listen to them, bring them at home and try them, if your cymbals are in harmony with the rest of the kit, then go for it..

If youre not contractually obliged to use a single brand of cymbal, youre doing yourself a disservice by limiting yourself to one brand because it looks good or it messes with your OCD when you mix them up. You're completely reducing your sound pallette by sticking with one brand - I've Sabians for FX sounds that Zildjian can't produce, my rides are Meinl because I love the way those particular cymbals sound and no other brand can create, my crashes are mostly Zildjian because I love the power and depth that Zildjian put into the modern larger crashes in the K-line.

Nobody will judge you, and not one member of the audience will notice or give a f**k.

yammyfan

If youre not contractually obliged to use a single brand of cymbal, youre doing yourself a disservice by limiting yourself to one brand because it looks good or it messes with your OCD when you mix them up. You're completely reducing your sound pallette by sticking with one brand - I've Sabians for FX sounds that Zildjian can't produce, my rides are Meinl because I love the way those particular cymbals sound and no other brand can create, my crashes are mostly Zildjian because I love the power and depth that Zildjian put into the modern larger crashes in the K-line.

Nobody will judge you, and not one member of the audience will notice or give a f**k.
This is me, totally. I can't stand mixing brands.

The thing is, if you buy good cymbals that are appropriate for the task at hand, you're not missing out on much. I've got one full set of Zildjian Ks for the times I want a darker, softer palette and a full set of Paiste 2002s for the times I want a stereotypical "Rock" sound. Between the two sets, I'm covered.

Last edited:

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
Sabians basically are Zildjian in all practical matters... They have always worked well together for me

ZildjianLover

Go ahead, and try it out. I used to have a Sabian HHX Dry Ride that blended very well with my set of Zildjian A's and K's before I had to sell it. I have now been reaping the benefits of combining my 24" Meinl Byzance Traditional Medium Ride with the same roster of Zildjians for a number of years, so you have nothing to lose by trying out the AA ride with the rest of your setup.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I have Sabian, Zildjian, Meinl and Paiste cymbals and I have no problem mixing brands up at all.

The one thing I usually don't do is mix alloys up too much. In general I like keeping B8's and B20's separate within their own set ups.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Soultone, Masterworks, Zildjian, Sabian and Agop are on my gig kit.

Having all 1 brand is a sure sign of a sick mind.

I don't really mean that.

It's probably the guys who mix brands like me who have the sick mind.

Last edited: