mixing head brands on snares?

Drum Guy

Anyone have personal experience of mixing Eavns batters with Remo hazy on resonance side of snares?

I've got an evans 300 on bottom of a 10" birch snare with Evans EC snare head - the 300 seems to muffly or sustain-cutting to me, wondered if using Remo hazy would be better?

Also thinking of buying Evans UV1 for batter and using Remo hazy on bottom of 14x6.5 aluminum snare - their manufacturing formula is different but does it affect the end sound much when used together?

Last edited:

KEEF

Also thinking of buying Evans UV1 for batter and using Remo hazy on bottom of 14x6.5 aluminum snare - their manufacturing formula is different but does it affect the end sound much when used together?
Normally use UV1 but I currently have a Remo Colourtone over an Evans snare side on my starphonic aluminium - so like you but backwards - sounds great to my ears. I no longer stress about keeping top and bottom from matching brands.

trickg

Silver Member
I use Evans hazy 300 snare side heads on all of my snares, regardless of what that snare seems to live for a batter. Snares can be finicky about batter side heads too - one snare I owned sounded the best with a Remo Ambassador, some snares do well with an Evans G1, and some snares seem to like the Aquarian Texture Coated. All of them have an Evans Hazy 300 and Puresound Blaster wires.

IBitePrettyHard

Be careful OP.

Using a Remo batter with an Evans resonant may cause the drum to start smoking.

They've even been known to catch fire.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Best snare reso ever IMO is the 3 mil collarless Remo snare side head. (Thanks Karl C.) I like the G1's up top, so I mix, and so far no fires. It looks like a see-thru diaphram for an elephant, the collarless Remo snare side. I'm a big fan because it conforms to the contours of my snare side edges like skin on a catfish.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I also only use the Remo clear Ambassador no collar snare side on all of my snares, but almost always with an Aquarian batter head.

IF Aquarian made a no collar snare side, I'd use that, but no one else makes one besides Remo.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Best snare reso ever IMO is the 3 mil collarless Remo snare side head. (Thanks Karl C.) I like the G1's up top, so I mix, and so far no fires. It looks like a see-thru diaphram for an elephant, the collarless Remo snare side. I'm a big fan because it conforms to the contours of my snare side edges like skin on a catfish.
I always thought those collarless snare heads were for marching drums? Now you’ve prompted my curiosity. I’ve never tried this one is there less buzz or more sensitive-what’s the deal?

trickg

Silver Member
I didn't even realize that a collarless head was a thing - I may have to try that the next time I change out snare side heads.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I also only use the Remo clear Ambassador no collar snare side on all of my snares, but almost always with an Aquarian batter head.

IF Aquarian made a no collar snare side, I'd use that, but no one else makes one besides Remo.
I've asked Evans to get with the program. Only Remo seems to care.

I always thought those collarless snare heads were for marching drums? Now you’ve prompted my curiosity. I’ve never tried this one is there less buzz or more sensitive-what’s the deal?
I really crank my snare reso, I like them stretched. Some of my snare reso hoops are not too much above the bearing edge when it's time to change the head due to it stretching. The film stretches, and with a collar, it's just too much. The absence of a collar gives me more millimeters to crank the head, because I need it. Plus I really like the way it form fits to the bearing edge and snare beds.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
So many different views and experiences on this. I used to run Hazy 300s on everything. One day I just couldn't get the rest to tune and it was snare buzz city. Off to the local store I went, but no Hazy 300. Drove to the next and same. All that was available were Remo Ambassador resos. I needed one and couldn't wait, so went home with it discussed with the choices. To any amazement, the Ambassador sounded way better. I also used to have to keep tightening my Hazy 300s every couple of weeks, when sympathetic snare buzz would begin to run away. That wasn't true with the Ambassador. I now run them on all three of my snares.

I've had Ambassador batters on the shelf for a while and was using UV1s. Couldn't get the Remo to sound right and the overtones would just run away. One day I listened to a comparison video and to my amazement, the UV1 was my least favorite. Went with Aquarian Classic Coated and that opened up the world. Definitely more overtones, but I learned how to tune them out for the most part. When it was time for a head change, I figured I'd just give the Ambassador another try. They were nowhere near as uncontrollable, as I had originally experienced. They have more overtones than G1, which has more overtones than Classic Coated, which has more overtones than UV1. What I initially hated, has become my favorite. Sometimes, it's just learning how to tune and what works. Today, it's between the Classic Coated or Ambassador batters and Ambassador reso. There's just so much more I can do with those heads. A year ago I was all about the UV1s and Hazy 300s.

Things just change. Not at all saying the above is inferior or somehow the other heads fall short. Not at all. It really depends on what one's going for. I say don't ever throw out any good head and be open to experimenting. You just never know.

I currently have a mix of brands on my drums. Hoping to see them light up, now that I know they don't get along! LOL!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I really crank my snare reso, I like them stretched. Some of my snare reso hoops are not too much above the bearing edge when it's time to change the head due to it stretching. The film stretches, and with a collar, it's just too much. The absence of a collar gives me more millimeters to crank the head, because I need it. Plus I really like the way it form fits to the bearing edge and snare beds.
What sold me on the collarless head was I had a couple of drums, a Ludwig Supra with the big 'ol P-33 butt end and a Tama walnut snare with really rounded bearing edges. Once I had the most other regular snare side heads tensioned up where I liked them it was already dangerously close to bottoming out against the butt end on one and the bottom of the lugs on the other. With the collarless head I've got plenty of room to tune high in the first place, and room to bring up the tension as the head stretches over time. Now with the collarless head no matter the drum I never really have to worry about bottoming out on any of my drums.

notvinnie

They allow you to use a very tight tension without resulting in the hoop getting pulled too far into the drum. Soundwise they're the same.