Mixing brands of toms and their suspension systems

timmdrum

Silver Member
For those that use them, has anyone here mismatched stuff? For example, Pearl drums but with another company's RIMS-style suspension mounts, or Tama Star-cast, etc, or vice-versa, or something else entirely?

Last edited:

NouveauCliche

For those that use them, has anyone here mismatched stuff? For example, Pearl drums but with another company's RIMS-style suspension mounts, or Tama Star-cast, etc?
There's really no issues since a lot of them do the same thing - the real question is whether or not it's worth the hassle of switching ALL the associated tom mounting equipment to accommodate the new mounts (things like toms arms etc.) A lot of companies tom suspension systems require very specific styles of mounting...L arms vs. direct...etc. A pearl mount doesn't really attached anything like a Noble and Cooley, etc.

I remember when RIMS because popular - that was pretty simple to go from direct shell mounts to the RIMS mounts because the Gauger did such a good job making the RIMS plate so universal.

Did you have any specifics in mind? Why would you want to switch mounting systems?

Mongrel

Silver Member
I am having good success using Tama Starcast mounts and Tama diecast batter side rims on my 1960s Rogers Holiday 12" and 13" toms. Zero issues and the drums sound as good or better than they did using the Rogers Swivo-mounts.

Reason I tried them was to replace some worn out ball-joints and to take the pressure off my Rogers bass drums. Also-the modern Tama hardware and tom mounts allow me to mix and match the Rogers in with my Tama gear.

timmdrum

Silver Member
Did you have any specifics in mind? Why would you want to switch mounting systems?
I'm eyeballing Pearl kits and I absolutely hate the elbow/arm mount posts. I kinda like the 2-top, 2-bottom 4-point suspension mounts, but on the nicer all-chrome ones (and maybe not the lower black & chrome ones either?), it looks like the brackets can't be switched with those that accommodate the ball & socket arms. Crush uses a similar 2&2-point mount that uses ball & socket arms but their site doesn't offer them separately. (?!?) I'm thinking of doing what @Mongrel mentioned and use the Tama mount & rim system if I can afford it; otherwise, just a low-mass RIMS-style (like Ludwig's).