Mixer for full drum miking

Justinhub2003

2 Mackie ProFX 12 mixers.

One mixer is used for all tom mics.
The Main Out L and R of the "tom mixer" goes into the Stereo Return of the other mixer.

The "other" mixer is used for 2 kick mics, 1 snare mic, and a pair of overhead mics.
The Main Out of this mixer goes into whatever I want to record with.

I had to get rid Of my 12 channel Mackie proFX because I couldn’t get it to show all 12 channels in logic. It only wanted to do 2 (left and right) which meant all my mixibg had to be done via the board itself

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I've been very happy with the Zoom L-12, which can be a mixer, a multitrack recorder, a USB interface or all three. Has 8 XLR inputs, records to a memory card so you don't need to take a computer to gigs. Can also record up to 14 separate tracks at once via USB to a computer.
There's a cheaper model now with 6 XLR inputs.

ToneT

My past experiences with Yamaha MG mixers were disappointing.
Those one-touch compression knobs introduced noise, as did the tone controls!
Mackies have been quiet and reliable for many years now.
Too many bells and whistles for a lower price doesn't equal better sound quality.

ToneT

Boo to Yamaha and Soundcraft, among others, for not including Insert Points on their channels; an excellent way to add processing. Save your bucks and get something with better-quality preamps,too!

acsunda

Don't be afraid to buy used. Got my first mixer, an Alesis Multimix 4, on eBay for like $50. Obviously you probably want something bigger, but still, there are deals to be had. Happy hunting!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Boo to Yamaha and Soundcraft, among others, for not including Insert Points on their channels; an excellent way to add processing. Save your bucks and get something with better-quality preamps,too!
You expect insert points on what models? How much money are you spending? Do you haul around a rack full of outboard gear?

Anyway, not to cheerlead Yamaha’s TF consoles, you already have built-in effects and dynamics processors. And since most folks do the DAW route, a lot of that is built-in as well into those.

jdavis

You expect insert points on what models? How much money are you spending? Do you haul around a rack full of outboard gear?
Exactly. IMO, Yamaha and Soundcraft both make solid stuff. But, if you're looking for inserts, quality preamps, processing, expanded busses, etc, you're looking at more of a console and less of a line mixer.