Mitch Mitchell drumming: top 10 Jimi Hendrix songs for drums. Tier list + stats and character sheet!

C.M. Jones

I've always considered Mitch underrated, perhaps inevitable when Hendrix is stealing the show. Great drummer regardless. Jimmy could have played with anyone. He chose Mitch.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
By who exactly would a player like Mitch Mitchell be “underrated” or “underestimated”..?

As far as i remember, Mitchell has always been spoken about as one of THE legends of drumming..

Those terms like “underrated”, etc for legendary players, only exist on internet forums like this, where some people also would say that they consider Mitchell to be overplaying a lot (yep, no joke, check the archives..lol)..

In the real world, there is no serious player who would “underestimate” or “underrate” Mitchell’s influence on drumming..

On the internet however, people will feel no shame to criticize Mitchell, Bonham, Baker, Paice or even Porcaro (yep, again no joke..lol)..

I guess, whatever keeps people busy......

Seafroggys

Silver Member
I agree, underrated is a vastly OVERrated term (heh) on the Internet. Everybody wants to feel special about their favorites, so everybody wants to feel as if its underrated.

Like, dude, of the 60's rock drummers, list the top 5. I guarantee you Mitch Mitchell would make every list (whether he's #1 or #5 is up to debate). That's hardly underrated.

But then where it gets iffy is by calling someone underrated when they're famous by association, but not necessarily for their drumming specifically. The best example of this coming to mind is Mick Fleetwood. Drummer and half the namesake of one of the most famous bands of all time, but his drumming is rarely spoken about by drummers. Would he be considered underrated?

C.M. Jones

By who exactly would a player like Mitch Mitchell be “underrated” or “underestimated”..?

As far as i remember, Mitchell has always been spoken about as one of THE legends of drumming..

Those terms like “underrated”, etc for legendary players, only exist on internet forums like this, where some people also would say that they consider Mitchell to be overplaying a lot (yep, no joke, check the archives..lol)..

In the real world, there is no serious player who would “underestimate” or “underrate” Mitchell’s influence on drumming..

On the internet however, people will feel no shame to criticize Mitchell, Bonham, Baker, Paice or even Porcaro (yep, again no joke..lol)..

I guess, whatever keeps people busy......
I know what you mean. Perhaps overshadowed is a better term than underrated. Hendrix's inimitable flare was the talk of the globe.

I wouldn't say Mitch overplayed at all. He played what he played and gave us the recordings we have. His contributions are historic. Rethinking Hendrix songs would be laughable.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
re:eek:verplaying

I don't believe overplaying exists. Not realistically, that is. As long as you are capable of playing something and evoking musical thought, whatever it is, will work for that song.

Take AC/DC for example. I'm sure if anybody made a drum cover or whatever, and they played....dear god.....fills! You'd have hounds of people saying you're overplaying, that Phil Rudd was perfect, etc. But let's be honest. If AC/DC had a more competent drummer....let's say, Cozy Powell! And he drummed on all those classic AC/DC records, and we never knew that Phil Rudd existed, I guarantee you people will still like those songs and still like the drumming. We just don't have the original as a nostalgic frame of reference.

Same with the other way. Imagine Ringo playing The Who! And here's the thing.....it would actually work! Then this dolt comes along....his last name is Moon or something-or-other....and he bashes through the song, people would cry out "Overplaying overplaying!".....because in this universe, they don't have that frame of reference.

C.M. Jones

re:eek:verplaying

I don't believe overplaying exists. Not realistically, that is. As long as you are capable of playing something and evoking musical thought, whatever it is, will work for that song.

Take AC/DC for example. I'm sure if anybody made a drum cover or whatever, and they played....dear god.....fills! You'd have hounds of people saying you're overplaying, that Phil Rudd was perfect, etc. But let's be honest. If AC/DC had a more competent drummer....let's say, Cozy Powell! And he drummed on all those classic AC/DC records, and we never knew that Phil Rudd existed, I guarantee you people will still like those songs and still like the drumming. We just don't have the original as a nostalgic frame of reference.

Same with the other way. Imagine Ringo playing The Who! And here's the thing.....it would actually work! Then this dolt comes along....his last name is Moon or something-or-other....and he bashes through the song, people would cry out "Overplaying overplaying!".....because in this universe, they don't have that frame of reference.
It's really a matter of terminology. There are tasteful ways to execute notes and distasteful ways to execute notes. The definition of tasteful is discretionary. What sounds clumsy and crowded to one ear might be bold and arresting to another. Regardless, I've encountered drumming I would certainly be comfortable referring to as overplaying. That's my discretionary assessment.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..Take AC/DC for example. I'm sure if anybody made a drum cover or whatever, and they played....dear god.....fills! You'd have hounds of people saying you're overplaying, that Phil Rudd was perfect, etc. But let's be honest. If AC/DC had a more competent drummer..

In that case those people are completely right..

Playing AC/DC songs with (lots of) fills, will sound like a complete sh*t..

Phil Rudd is not at all an incompetent or mediocre player btw, for the genre he plays..

For example, try to play this one with “just that little swing” like he always has..

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Yeah, but what makes AC/DC unique for "requiring" super simple drum parts compared to, say, Nazareth, a band that's often confused for being AC/DC, because some of their songs sound similar? Nazareth's drummer (forgive me for not knowing his name) was more creative with his parts, yet why is that not bad? Heir of the Dog, for example, I've heard people surprised when they find out its not AC/DC, yet has more complex drum parts than Phil Rudd ever played. But no one says those parts are shit.

People are blinded because they hear the song with that specific drum part, thus assume that that specific drum part is the "only" way the song could be played. But think abstractly for a second....divorce the drums from the rest of the song, and some other drummer from a band with a similar style steps in, and plays something more complex/more simple, and that's the only reality you know. That other drummer is considered fine or good for playing a similar style with another group, why is it any different with AC/DC?

And this isn't supposed to be a Phil Rudd hatefest. Yes, I know I implied that because I said Cozy Powell was more competent....which is true...but I didn't mean that Rudd was bad. If that's the implication you got, I'm sorry. I was just using that as an example to illustrate my "real" point, in that the idea of overplaying only exists because we let nostalgic frame of references dictate it for us.

rebonn

Our band plays Fire and I sing it as well. Not the easiest song to play and sing but it's a crowd favorite. The studio version is such a top notch groove but in a live version, it's like the complete opposite was trying to be played with a lot of flash. Maybe I would care for the live version more if I hadn't ever heard the studio version. Never the less, I think he was as unique as Hendrix.

Juniper

Gold Member
I've always considered Mitch underrated, perhaps inevitable when Hendrix is stealing the show. Great drummer regardless. Jimmy could have played with anyone. He chose Mitch.
To be fair he didn't choose Mitch completely. He couldn't decide between Mitchell and Aynsley Dunbar so flipped a coin.

Very glad that coin flip favourited Mitch, though.

C.M. Jones

To be fair he didn't choose Mitch completely. He couldn't decide between Mitchell and Aynsley Dunbar so flipped a coin.

Very glad that coin flip favourited Mitch, though.
I watched a Hendrix documentary not long ago in which the formation of the "Experience" is addressed. Jimi's selection process was interesting to say the least. Regardless, Mitch is a master worthy of every ounce of success he's achieved. All worked well in the end, with the exception of Jimi's untimely exit.

fabiodrummy

for more informactions, e-mail me..: fabiodrummy@gmail.com Mitch Mitchell , drummer of 'The Jimie Hendrix,cht -trio' Cd,,95.,. This is a CD of ''-Mitch Mitchell,, Drums - Solos Compilactions-'' registered Live 1967 - 1972 , contains 23-tunes with 'drums-solo'... the total time is 1h ,14'minutes. Some 'tunes' are : 1-catfish blues,, 2-tax free,, 3-sunshine of your love,, 4-spanish castle magic,, 5-stone free,, 6-fire,, 7-woodoo chile,, 8-messages of love ...and Others,.-
- ,, -

- ,, -

One Up One Down

for more informactions, e-mail me..: fabiodrummy@gmail.com Mitch Mitchell , drummer of 'The Jimie Hendrix,cht -trio' Cd,,95.,. This is a CD of ''-Mitch Mitchell,, Drums - Solos Compilactions-'' registered Live 1967 - 1972 , contains 23-tunes with 'drums-solo'... the total time is 1h ,14'minutes. Some 'tunes' are : 1-catfish blues,, 2-tax free,, 3-sunshine of your love,, 4-spanish castle magic,, 5-stone free,, 6-fire,, 7-woodoo chile,, 8-messages of love ...and Others,.-
- ,, -

- ,, -
I typically hate drum solos but that wasn't boring at all