Missing a gig

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
So I'm at a family function type of thing last Saturday night and I get a call at 7:05 PM

"Are you OK, we start in 25 minutes" (I was 2 hours away)

ACK! I put the gig in my phone calendar, I remember doing it, and I remember seeing it in my calendar weeks later. I can picture it in my mind, there's no doubt that I put it in there.

Something happened, this wasn't the only gig that disappeared from my calendar. Oddly another gig at the same place was missing as well. I still cannot explain why it went missing.

So I started leaving the family thing with my wife to drive home, get my van, and drive to the gig to hopefully to arrive about 2 hours late. After I got on the road, I got a call and I was told don't worry about it. Kind of glad really.

It's a super low volume gig in a nice Italian restaurant. Music is definitely not the main attraction. I'm kind of surprised they even have a band TBH.

I felt really bad, they had to do it as a duo. I've been with these guys for 6 and a half years now. This could be the first gig I missed ever, where it was my bad. I really needed that 100 bucks too lol.

Any missed gig stories?

DrummerCA35

No, but I've had multiple dreams similar to your actual experience of missing a gig or showing up late, and then having missing things when trying to set up. But, that's probably another thread. Oh, let me just add, that once I got a call from a band to play a gig...that started in an hour....because their drummer didn't show up!! I loaded my drums, drove to the gig, played with people I never played before...and had a great time. In fact, he called me back for many gigs after that. So, thanks to people that miss gigs, I got a a bunch of gigs out of it. :)

Redbeard

For just that reason, when we schedule a gig I make note of it in several places so I have a backup in case my phone or calendar takes a dive.
It also helps that the guys in the band talk/text enough that upcoming shows are usually mentioned the week of.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Thank goodness, no, I've never missed a gig that way. I have missed WORK because I entered my schedule in my calendar wrong. At least it wasn't a gig, though!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure a heartfelt apology to the guys will set you free of guilt. I doubt the venue are bothered about it.

tcspears

Gold Member
This has happened to me a few times, and it's awful.

Usually it's if I book a gig on Sunday or Monday (usually my days off) and it's with a band I don't usually work with.

A few years ago, I was sitting around at home, drinking my coffee, and I got a text: "Hey, are you on your way? They want us to start in 10 minutes..."

OH CRAP!

I had forgotten about it, and it was in my calendar, but I just assumed that I had the day off and didn't check.

Luckily the gig was 15 minutes from my house, so I changed into a suit and drove there as fast as I could.

Still, it's a traumatic experience, and I feel for you!

philrudd

Two related stories:

1) Several years back I'd just met a girl and we were enjoying downtown N.O. to its fullest before lack of sleep and excess of booze forced me to return home on a Sunday afternoon and pass out in my clothes.

I awoke in a daze several hours later and went to call in an order for food delivery. There I noticed (this is when people still had phone message machines) a blinking light indicating a missed call. I checked the message, and could barely hear my bandmate - obviously in the middle of a raucous club - yelling into the receiver that we were going on in thirty, and where the fuck was I?

I'd completely spaced it - AND IT WAS A CHARITY GIG. (Toys for Tots, if I remember correctly. )

I hurriedly grabbed my gear, threw it in the car, and sped to the club - made it there JUST as the rest of my band was moving their gear to the stage. As you can imagine...not my best gig.

2) On my way to a gig in Athens. Guitarist calls: 'Hey, are you close?' I'm about ten minutes away at that point.

Me: 'Close to what?'

Guitarist: 'The gig! We're supposed to start in like twenty minutes, man!'

Me: 'What gig? I'm at an art show in Atlanta!'

Guitarist: 'Dude, Mike brought his whole PA setup! Board and lights and everything! He's charging us, like, $300 for the evening! He's ready to go, man, and there's NO WAY you'll ever get here in time!' His voice broke a little, he was so upset.

Me: 'Nah, just kidding. I'm almost there - see you in five.'

Guitarist: '...You're a fucking asshole.'

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
For just that reason, when we schedule a gig I make note of it in several places so I have a backup in case my phone or calendar takes a dive.
It also helps that the guys in the band talk/text enough that upcoming shows are usually mentioned the week of.
My bandleader guy posts our gig calendar near the beginning of each month, for that month. I don't have any excuse. I need to check that calendar with my calendar a few times a month from now on. I also put my dates in a spreadsheet program, but this time I forgot to put it there, because it wasn't there. I really don't understand how selected dates could just disappear from my phone. Although I'm pretty good at surfing the web via butt dialing.... that's the only possible explanation I can think of. I don't actually think that's what happened though. Strange that's what it is.

Phil, great stories man. You did a class A, 3rd degree burn on that guitarist. Color probably drained from a few of his hairs lol.

mikel

Platinum Member
Never missed a gig. We always make sure everyone is prepared the day before by messaging each other. Also, I use my phone only for messages etc, all appointments, gigs etc go on the wall calendar thats stuck on the fridge and the days get ticked off as they pass so nowt gets forgotten.

Zero Mercury Drummer

Back in the 80s I was doing a gig at a party out in the boonies. My bass drum head broke doing sound check. So I went to get another one and got lost on these country roads. This was before cellphones and I didn't know the number at the house so I just went home. The band had to load up my drums and take them home and I was not popular for a while.

So as a precursor to the story, I had Giardia going into my freshman year of college. Because of this, I caught EVERYTHING imaginable that year.

Fast forward to the end of the semester, and I've got strep throat. I was supposed to play some percussion on a kid's recital. I'd been up maybe two nights in a row (don't take 20 credits your first year) trying to get a big Theory assignment together and was just completely beat.

I sat down on the couch to put my dress shoes on and woke up at about 1 in the morning. Completely missed the recital. Fortunately one of the hotshots just sight read my part and all was fine. The student that I let down was actually very cool and understanding about it, although I doubt he'd hire me for a gig again.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Larry, here's what we do.

Set up a google (or whatever) account for the band. Add the band's google calendar to your phone.

Every band member then reads/writes to the band's calendar for band related activities instead of each member updating their personal calendar. Same for e-mail and docs.

DrummerCA35

Set up a google (or whatever) account for the band. Add the band's google calendar to your phone.

Every band member then reads/writes to the band's calendar for band related activities instead of each member updating their personal calendar. Same for e-mail and docs.
That's what we do. Unfortunately, only 3/5 of us use the calendar, the others won't/can't get it together.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"

While this is a good idea, it would require the bandleader to put all the dates on since he books all the gigs. He does already on his website, but only a month ahead, while we have bookings 6 months ahead. He'll probably lean on that as an excuse. I'll run it by him but you can't tell this guy anything, he knows it all. He'll come up with some off the wall scenario why it's not a good idea if I know him. But I'll try anyway, sometimes he surprises me.

Thanks Kamak, the only person with a palindrome for a screen name.

mikel

Platinum Member
While this is a good idea, it would require the bandleader to put all the dates on since he books all the gigs. He does already on his website, but only a month ahead, while we have bookings 6 months ahead. He'll probably lean on that as an excuse. I'll run it by him but you can't tell this guy anything, he knows it all. He'll come up with some off the wall scenario why it's not a good idea if I know him. But I'll try anyway, sometimes he surprises me.

Thanks Kamak, the only person with a palindrome for a screen name.
Nah. Just speak to each other. You know? the old tech way. Its reliable and fool proof.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I never accidentally missed a gig, although I did have to cancel a gig on about 3 hours' notice due to a family emergency. Got a call back 15 min later saying he'd found a sub. Hmmm, that didn't take very long...

alparrott

Platinum Member
In most of my bands I have ended up assisting with or flat out in charge of social media outreach, promotion, flyer design, etc. I'm also incredibly anal about keeping a synced calendar between all my devices at home and work. I think the only way I could accidentally miss a gig is if the accident involved a bus or large truck!

single-ply

I missed a gig and it was nightmare.

Years ago I was living about and hour and a half north of NYC. I was playing in the West Point Band at the time. I had a gig scheduled with a wedding band somewhere down in the city (I don't remember exactly where).

We were also forecasted to have a major snowstorm come in that day.

So, on the day of the gig, which was to start at 7 pm, it started snowing bad. Real bad. The gig was still on, so I left the house at 1 pm. I already had my tux on and within an hour, the roads became treacherous. I could go no faster than maybe 20 mph. It got dark even earlier due to the storm and I had made it to the Tappen Zee Bridge. The combination of ice and slush on the roads was really bad. It became so bad that I thought I had a flat, so I pulled over to look. Stepped out into 6" of slush and water, soaking my dress shoes and socks.

Well, I don't have a flat, but worse. I only have a rim. A tire completely failed and the roads were so bad I couldn't even tell. No tire parts even left on the rim.

There I was on the middle of the bridge, with no tire. No way to even put on a spare in that mess, let alone pull out all the drums in order to access the spare. This was before cell phones. It was now around 5:30. I got back in and started driving(!) again to the end of the bridge, where I managed to find a phone. Called the band leader, told him about the situation and called a cab. They just laughed at me.

Never made it to the gig. A wedding band with no drums! I finally got home at 7 am the next morning wearing a soaked tux and ruined shoes and owing 200 in cab fare. I had to be at work in 2 hours. Car got towed and I had to pay another 200 to get it. Believe it or not, the band leader sent me my gig money! But he never called me again.

Worst. Gig. Ever.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
No, but I've had multiple dreams similar to your actual experience of missing a gig or showing up late, and then having missing things when trying to set up. But, that's probably another thread. Oh, let me just add, that once I got a call from a band to play a gig...that started in an hour....because their drummer didn't show up!! I loaded my drums, drove to the gig, played with people I never played before...and had a great time. In fact, he called me back for many gigs after that. So, thanks to people that miss gigs, I got a a bunch of gigs out of it. :)
I still dream about forgetting to drop a class, and it's the end of the semester, and I haven't been to class in 3 months. 19 years since college, but still anxious about this. LOL

Never dreamed about missing a gig, though.