Miss WFD 2011 Announced

....but that's not at all the focus nor the point of Facebook. It's networking. If some people use it to "hook up", fine, but then, people use email for that too, as well as classified ad sites, etc. Maybe you didn't mean it as literally as you stated it, but if you did, you're way off base. Now, if you've checked it out and it doesn't interest you, fine, but don't label it as being about something other than its intended purpose.
Yes, I've checked out Facebook ... and My Space .... and quite frankly ..... don't want to be apart of either. If I wanna e-mail 5, 10, or 50 people .... I do so .... and I don't need all the "Mybookspaceface" hoopla and horse and pony show to go along with it.
I'm 40 and have loved using Facebook (and prior to its decline, MySpace) to re-connect with old friends, keep up with new ones, family, etc. I organized my family's gathering for my 40th birthday (yeah, kinda cheesy, but I didn't wanna be surprised with something corny) via Facebook, and it was 100 times easier than making a bajillion phone calls.
And that's fine. If it works for you ... more power to ya ....​

Timm, on the other hand I don't want people to be able to contact me whenever they like. So I got rid of my Facebook over a year ago and by phone number doesn't get passed around, either. I don't like the way Facebook makes communication so arbitrary, but I'm clearly in the minority here.

If I didn't want my FB friends (most of which are actual, real-life friends, past, present, or both) to have my phone number, I'd simply not put the number on my profile. :) FB doesn't make communication arbitrary- it makes it easy, since, if you make your profile info searchable & visible, then your friends see it. But, this is limited to the info you provide, and if you do, who can see it. (Privacy settings can be individualized for groups of users.)

Yes, I've checked out Facebook ... and My Space .... and quite frankly ..... don't want to be apart of either. If I wanna e-mail 5, 10, or 50 people .... I do so .... and I don't need all the "Mybookspaceface" hoopla and horse and pony show to go along with it.​

Yeah, simply emailing multiple people simultaneously is completely not the point of social networking, so, yeah, no one needs Facebook for that.

Right ... well ... anyhow .... back to the OP and the topic of this thread .... I found no helpful info. about this young lady on her Facebook page ...​
What I did do is Google search her .... and I came up with the three links of her playing, which I then posted in post 13.​

If I didn't want my FB friends (most of which are actual, real-life friends, past, present, or both) to have my phone number, I'd simply not put the number on my profile. :) FB doesn't make communication arbitrary- it makes it easy, since, if you make your profile info searchable & visible, then your friends see it. But, this is limited to the info you provide, and if you do, who can see it. (Privacy settings can be individualized for groups of users.)

I used it for three years and hated some of the options then. I also strongly dislike anybody having my information, especially if they're sending it (or making it accessible to) third parties for advertising revenue. That and I don't want to be part of the 'saw it on Facebook' crowd that seemed to zombify most of the people at University.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but the ubiquity of it is frightening.

I used it for three years and hated some of the options then. I also strongly dislike anybody having my information, especially if they're sending it (or making it accessible to) third parties for advertising revenue. That and I don't want to be part of the 'saw it on Facebook' crowd that seemed to zombify most of the people at University.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but the ubiquity of it is frightening.

Well, that all makes sense, except that neither FB nor fellow users can have or disseminate info that isn't there. So, again, whatever information one doesn't want seen, one doesn't provide. Simple as that. That said, I have my phone number and email addresses listed, but set as visible to friends only, and since I don't add anyone who isn't really a friend, then I don't mind that they have that info. Also, no one from FB has ever called, nor have any telemarketers. (It's a mobile number.) The only evidence I can see of FB using info I've provided is that the ads are related to things I've listed as interests, which I don't mind. I rarely pay attention to ads, but if they've gotta be there, better I see an ad for a Soundgarden album than for Dawn detergent.

My original point isn't that either of you should like it, or feel like using it, but simply that it's silly for one to label it as something other than what it is. </hijack>

Well, that all makes sense, except that neither FB nor fellow users can have or disseminate info that isn't there. So, again, whatever information one doesn't want seen, one doesn't provide. Simple as that. That said, I have my phone number and email addresses listed, but set as visible to friends only, and since I don't add anyone who isn't really a friend, then I don't mind that they have that info. Also, no one from FB has ever called, nor have any telemarketers. (It's a mobile number.) The only evidence I can see of FB using info I've provided is that the ads are related to things I've listed as interests, which I don't mind. I rarely pay attention to ads, but if they've gotta be there, better I see an ad for a Soundgarden album than for Dawn detergent.

My original point isn't that either of you should like it, or feel like using it, but simply that it's silly for one to label it as something other than what it is. </hijack>

I've heard this argument before and it's true. That said, I don't want any information in the hands of marketers and at the least you have to provide your name (or break the terms of service).

What frightens me the most is Facebook's inability to actively verify who you are actually talking to. Their terms of service state that you must be at least thirteen, but when I was helping out in a Primary School I had ten year olds asking if they could add me on Facebook. That worries me slightly and I think that children that age (and younger) could be vulnerable on social networking sites. I'm not a 'prissy parent' either; I just think that threat is real.

It's also not wanting to be part of that crowd. At University, you would walk through the library where there were maybe eighty computers set up in a line and I can tell you that at least half of those being used were being used by people sitting there and gawking at Facebook. I'm not saying that it's bad, or evil - but that is a little menacing if you've ever read '1984'!

I've heard this argument before and it's true. That said, I don't want any information in the hands of marketers and at the least you have to provide your name (or break the terms of service).

What frightens me the most is Facebook's inability to actively verify who you are actually talking to. Their terms of service state that you must be at least thirteen, but when I was helping out in a Primary School I had ten year olds asking if they could add me on Facebook. That worries me slightly and I think that children that age (and younger) could be vulnerable on social networking sites. I'm not a 'prissy parent' either; I just think that threat is real.

It's also not wanting to be part of that crowd. At University, you would walk through the library where there were maybe eighty computers set up in a line and I can tell you that at least half of those being used were being used by people sitting there and gawking at Facebook. I'm not saying that it's bad, or evil - but that is a little menacing if you've ever read '1984'!

Re: Name- Well, I have 2 friends who use fake names for that reason, although I think that's overly paranoid. Nothing can be marketed to me by virtue of my name being on the profile without any contact information. An email address is required also, so I just use an anonymous email address that I already had for signing up for newsletters, etc. Re: "crowd"- yeah, I guess I get that. I'm not part of that crowd, since I use Facebook about 20 minutes a day, unless I'm actively chatting with someone, and if I want to do that, it doesn't matter that it's on FB, or using AIM or Yahoo Messenger or whatever.

Your point about minors' safety is very valid! This comes down to parenting, though. Not just for social networking, but for web surfing in general, and letting your kid bop down to the movie theater or hardware store, a 10 year old doing any of those things unsupervised is horrible parenting.

ME....old mate.....me!! :)

Humour me Drummerworld......tell me your thoughts. :)

I dig the fact that there is an organization dedicated to a the single stroke rudiment. Makes no sense to fuss about WFD, they will bring people to the art, nothing wrong with that.

I am still confused about all the harsh criticism about David Letterman's Drum week. Saw lots of comments on what was wrong with this, that one or the other one, and then the Neil Peart haters got spun up. The point was that Letterman dedicated a week of his show to showcasing drummers, bringing them to the front line and showing chops off to Joe Sixpack and Sally Lunch Box.

Dickens used to get paid by the word, that's why a Tale of Two Cities is like reading a NYC phone book, just like all the posts critical of something for nothing. Seems like some folks need to write X number of words a day, write about what's right, not what's wrong.

Guar·an·tee some kid is watching WFD and finds it fascinating, some kid stayed up late and caught Sheila E. and it lit their fire. Maybe WFD will spark the next Mangini, Rich, or whoever.

This is a rant, I know.... WFD is cool, Letterman's Drum week was cool, Ringo is cool.

OK, time to retreat to the bunker.

I dig the fact that there is an organization dedicated to a the single stroke rudiment. Makes no sense to fuss about WFD, they will bring people to the art, nothing wrong with that.

I am still confused about all the harsh criticism about David Letterman's Drum week. Saw lots of comments on what was wrong with this, that one or the other one, and then the Neil Peart haters got spun up. The point was that Letterman dedicated a week of his show to showcasing drummers, bringing them to the front line and showing chops off to Joe Sixpack and Sally Lunch Box.

Dickens used to get paid by the word, that's why a Tale of Two Cities is like reading a NYC phone book, just like all the posts critical of something for nothing. Seems like some folks need to write X number of words a day, write about what's right, not what's wrong.

Guar·an·tee some kid is watching WFD and finds it fascinating, some kid stayed up late and caught Sheila E. and it lit their fire. Maybe WFD will spark the next Mangini, Rich, or whoever.

This is a rant, I know.... WFD is cool, Letterman's Drum week was cool, Ringo is cool.

OK, time to retreat to the bunker.

Amen Brother, No bunker needed as I see it. Although you are preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned, your above message is one that needs repeating for it is 'truth against the world'.........

Thanks!

How many of our DW friends are going to come down to WFD World Finals in Nashville on Saturday July 23rd and drink the WFD Kool-Aid with us? :)

Here's my question why do we need a "Miss WFD"? Is she good, have no idea, can she hang with the big boys, no idea. The face of WFD if there is a need for one should be the person that won the year before. If she won it great but somehow I don't remember her name as the winner ;-)

and that pic they over photoshopped her face something fierce!!

Back