Miss WFD 2011 Announced

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
who cares if she plays drums!!??
ME....old mate.....me!! :)

WFD is what it is. It's not something anyone should feel threatened by. I'd never even heard of the thing prior to joining this forum a couple of years ago. Since being exposed to it, I've really failed to see why it draws the ire of so many drummers.

It's not like WFD has ever claimed to be anything other than the "World's Fastest Drummer". The "musicality" argument that I see raised so often, IMHO at least, is so 'null and void' that it's ridiculous.

Firstly, within the context of WFD no-one has ever stated that's it's anything more than a competition to see who can play single strokes (hand or feet) the fastest. As far as I can tell, there's never been an attack on the playing ability of anyone who chooses not to enter...so, as stated, it is what it is.

Secondly, with respect to the "musicality" issue. Have you guys checked out the past winners (or even the 'honourable mentions')? The funny thing about it is that as far as I can see.....ALL these guys have abundant musicality within the context of a band. I've not found one yet who can't actually play a drum kit....play it well.....and most importantly, play it in support of other musicians. Sure they can rip singles on a pad.....but they can also play their bass drums, their hi hat pedals, their toms and their cymbals too.....and make it sound good.

So, now that the two main gripes surrounding this comp. and anyone involved in it are addressed and out in the open, I'd love to hear why WFD is so scorned amongst the drumming community?

Humour me Drummerworld......tell me your thoughts. :)

Last edited:

Cayde

Yep we really need more blatant sexism and objectification of women in the drumming world. I was thinking this really wasn't enough of a boys club already.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Thanks Harry......although I fear I could be here a while (wow. 13 pages!!).
And that's only 1 thread ... I think there are a couple others. I remember one cat .... his handle was WFD1 .... haven't seen or heard from him in a while .... created quite a stir ... and he had some "controversy" about his technique, was it really single strokes ... or was he using mirrors ... or was it a Jedi mind trick .... makes my spleen hurt just thinking about it ...​
Yep we really need more blatant sexism and objectification of women in the drumming world. I was thinking this really wasn't enough of a boys club already.
Which is all quite funny ... 'cause Boo ... the OP, is the founder of WFD ... and one minute they're screamin' about how they wanna legitimize WFD ... and then we get a cheesecake photo/Body Language/pin up photo .... Miss Hawaiian Tropic WFD ... with no link to ... gee ... maybe we'd actually like to see her drum ... or her winning competition run .... or maybe at least post her BPM ... and a facebook link ... jeez​

Last edited:

Boo

Founder WFD
And that's only 1 thread ... I think there are a couple others. I remember one cat .... his handle was WFD1 .... haven't seen or heard from him in a while .... created quite a stir ... and he had some "controversy" about his technique, was it really single strokes ... or was he using mirrors ... or was it a Jedi mind trick .... makes my spleen hurt just thinking about it ...​
Which is all quite funny ... 'cause Boo ... the OP, is the founder of WFD ... and one minute they're screamin' about how they wanna legitimize WFD ... and then we get a cheesecake photo/Body Language/pin up photo .... Miss Hawaiian Tropic WFD ... with no link to ... gee ... maybe we'd actually like to see her drum ... or her winning competition run .... or maybe at least post her BPM ... and a facebook link ... jeez​
Hey Harry great seeing you in this thread. Are you and my ole buddy John Aldridge coming to Summer NAMM 2011? It would be great seeing you guys especially at WFD. Is the BlackBeauty faster than the Dyna-Sonic? :)

Not sure if we have actually met or not, but anyway hope to meet you for I love your writings....

Sorry if you missed the actual link to Sammi's FB in the first post in this topic but here it is again see http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sammi-Miss-WFD-2011/102833083146739?closeTheater=1

You ask for "gee ... maybe we'd actually like to see her drum".....well here is a very raw fan shot clip of Sammi 3 years ago (keep in mind the drummer here is only 18 and you can't see she's an average looking male or female) anyway....here's an 18 year old working clubs in Jacksonville Fl. And if you have ever played a bar in Jacksonville Fl that should be some rep on it’s own.....right?

Again this is raw, bar video, but what got my attention is not male. female, cute, ugly, fast, slow, whatever it was here's an 18 year old working clubs making a living and playing a song by one of the greatest musician/drummers/songwriters/rock influences I think has ever lived.........

Come on Miss WFD or not, this video got my attention first of all for the simple fact that a 18 year old these days could possess such a vast repertoire.......

Girl drummer? yes, But who cares?

Check out 18 year old Miss WFD Sammi at work in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhSXG-kltXg&feature=related

ps. RIP Buddy Miles, you were awesome! and Harry hope to se you at WFD 2011....ok?

Last edited:

harryconway

Platinum Member
YouTube link ... nada ... The URL contained a malformed video ID.​
As for Facebook, I look at it as a place I don't wanna really go to (kinda like Guitar Center). It's for teens and 20somethingyearolds to use, to "hook up" ... so ... yeah, I did check out the facebook link, also ... nothing there I really needed.​
Sammi, if she really wants to step up to the plate .... needs a web site. Hell, she can start up a free blog ... or a Typepad one (for $5 a month) ... and make it look like a web site.​
Now, if you wanna post links that cats like me can use, like this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOpikDTMf0Q&feature=related or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhIxgixGis4&feature=related or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhSXG-kltXg&feature=related but when I gotta start hunting for stuff ....​

timmdrum

Silver Member
As for Facebook, I look at it as a place I don't wanna really go to (kinda like Guitar Center). It's for teens and 20somethingyearolds to use, to "hook up" ... so ... yeah, I did check out the facebook link, also ... nothing there I really needed.I gotta start hunting for stuff ....
Off topic, but that's not at all the focus nor the point of Facebook. It's networking. If some people use it to "hook up", fine, but then, people use email for that too, as well as classified ad sites, etc. Maybe you didn't mean it as literally as you stated it, but if you did, you're way off base. Now, if you've checked it out and it doesn't interest you, fine, but don't label it as being about something other than its intended purpose.

I'm 40 and have loved using Facebook (and prior to its decline, MySpace) to re-connect with old friends, keep up with new ones, family, etc. I organized my family's gathering for my 40th birthday (yeah, kinda cheesy, but I didn't wanna be surprised with something corny) via Facebook, and it was 100 times easier than making a bajillion phone calls.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Timm, on the other hand I don't want people to be able to contact me whenever they like. So I got rid of my Facebook over a year ago and by phone number doesn't get passed around, either. I don't like the way Facebook makes communication so arbitrary, but I'm clearly in the minority here.