Millenium(ish) Rock Drummers

If you want a good example of a millennial rock drummer, I give you Lower Than Atlantis's Eddy Thrower. He's an absolutely sensational player with all the chops and musicality you'd ever want. There's a kind of snake-y smoothness to his playing which I just love and I think he has quite a distinct approach.

Another standout modern pop/rock player for me is The 1975's George Daniel. His groove, musicality, creative use of sampling and ability to come up with signature drum parts makes him an absolute standout for me. One of my all-time favourite drummers for sure.

Then there's Elise Trouw. I've only discovered her recently but she's absolutely killer rock groove player as well as being an all-round brilliant and creative instrumentalist.

Then going back a little further, some of my other favourite rock drummers from the 90s onwards are Jimmy Chamberlin, Dave Grohl, Chad Smith, Danny Carey, Daniel Adair and Kevin Parker.

I used to really enjoy Jerry Gaskill from King’s X back then. Still do. Didn’t hurt that his bg vox were superb, but he always played the right things that were showy but not overdone.

Vincent Paul Abbott
Tim "Herb" Alexander
David Silveria

Great topic. The drummers from the "grunge" era, looking back were somewhat underrated and while I think the recorded albums have some superb performances the live energy from that time period in the way they drove ever single show is where I think they really shined. There are numerous bands that were flash in the pan that were excellent musicians and had some fantastic rhythm sections.

Perfect example was Candlebox........yes they can easily be made fun of as a cliche band however I saw them open for Rush on the Counterparts tour and was really impressed with Scott Mercado's live performance and how they captured that awesome bottom end from their album.

Tim Alexander is one of favorites. Always loved his sound.

when I first hear Frizzle Fry, my life was changed...I spent a better part of the next few months learning that album

Killer topic!
Could we include Bill Berry of R.E.M.? Although he technically started with R.E.M. in the 80's, his best work was recorded, in my opinion, in the 90's.

Back