Milestone drums...

Terrence R

Silver Member
I was at an open jam last night and I got to play buddy's kit. I never seen/heard a kit like it b4. The name brand was Milestone. I guess it was hand crafted in B.C Canada. Has a layer of fibreglass and 1 ply of maple. The kick was a 20" and it felt like a monster 24"! The toms were ssooo warm and alive, but didn't have any ringing overtones. Which was surprising because he was using Evans EC1 heads with no e-rings. I guess the kit was built in the early 80's. Has any one ever seen one of these kits b4? I'm very interested in finding one. I already asked him about his, he won't part with it. I don't blame him!

I was at an open jam last night and I got to play buddy's kit. I never seen/heard a kit like it b4. The name brand was Milestone. I guess it was hand crafted in B.C Canada. Has a layer of fibreglass and 1 ply of maple. The kick was a 20" and it felt like a monster 24"! The toms were ssooo warm and alive, but didn't have any ringing overtones. Which was surprising because he was using Evans EC1 heads with no e-rings. I guess the kit was built in the early 80's. Has any one ever seen one of these kits b4? I'm very interested in finding one. I already asked him about his, he won't part with it. I don't blame him!

Milestone drums were from the 70s, and when the company was waning, it became Tempus Drums (basically the same thing, different name). I recall the Milestones, they were quite nice. Tempus (not sure if they're still in business) took over and did a great job keeping it alive.

They were great drums used by Billy Cobham at one time.They are all fiberglass,and there is no maple used in their construction.The problem with them was in their weak hardware and lousy business model..

Pearl,Tama Fibes (the first fiberglass shelled drum in the 70's) and Blaemire who is now back in business ,have or had fiberglass shelled kits.

For the whole story on Milestone tempusdrums.com has the story.Sorry,thats not a link,you'll actually have to type it in.:)

Steve B

Great. Thanx guys. I'll be looking in to them. I hear some people say to stay away from fibreglass shells, but after hearing and playing these, I don't see why anyone wouldn't like them.

I played fiberglass drums (Impact) for over 20 years, and they always sounded great! Also have fiberglass concert toms, and love those. But neither are the same design as Milestone/Tempus, there are different ways to do fiberglass just as there's more than one way to make a wood shell.

Bermuda

Yes, as bermuda stated, Milestone made their shells similar to how Corvette panels were made. They were pressed formed instead of merely layering out sheets. I just sold my kit, but used them on the road for many years. Mic'd up thru a concert PA they were magnificent. And quite indestructible too. Outside in the rain was no problem.

I picked up a Tempus fibreglass kit on trade a few months back and I love it. I had always been a fan of Milestones drums and jumped at the chance to get a Tempus kit. I used them for a gig in a relatively large hall Saturday night and they worked out great. They cut through really well and are much warmer sounding than you would expect. The shells are indestructible so they are the perfect gigging kit. I use an Aquarian Superkick 1 on the bass drum batter with an Aquarian Regulator on the resonant side and no laundry in the bass drum. The toms have Evans G Plus white coated heads on them. I recently purchased a matching 6.5 x14 Fibreglass tempus snare drum and it has worked great since i swapped out the Evans G1 batter or and Evans ST coated. I like the thicker sound of the ST on this snare drum. it really cuts through the stacks of amps !

I played fiberglass drums (Impact) for over 20 years, and they always sounded great! Also have fiberglass concert toms, and love those. But neither are the same design as Milestone/Tempus, there are different ways to do fiberglass just as there's more than one way to make a wood shell.

Bermuda

I have heard fiberglass drums and they sound terrific. But what was up with the slot hole in front of the Impact toms?

Back