Mike Portnoy

I have his dvd. For some reason he sorta always comes off as a douche, but he is a good drummer. Pretty good interpretation, kudos !

I think too many people know Portnoy as the drummer (former) for Dream Theater and don't know that he does a lot of side projects that show a much more restrained side to his playing.

I think his drumming on John Petrucci's Suspended Animation shows a different side to his standard Dream Theater drumming. His work with former band mate Kevin Moore in the OSI: Office of Strategic Influence album is completely different from a Dream Theater style of drumming. His latest band, The Winery Dogs, is a much more straight forward rock band and lots of the crazy progressive side of his drumming is checked at the door.

Its still all Portnoy, so you will get some double bass, some fills that are toms/bass/toms/bass etc. but he does have number of different sides to his style of playing.

Suspended Animation is Dave DiCenso on drums, no Portnoy.

Not really a Dream Theater or Liquid Tension Experiment fan—more an admirer, I guess—but this is pretty rad.

Am I the only one surprised to see him playing with John Petrucci again? Wasn't there some bad blood when he left DT?

Am I the only one surprised to see him playing with John Petrucci again? Wasn't there some bad blood when he left DT?

There was indeed bad blood You are not wrong.. MP and JP made up maybe 2 years ago, give or take. Portnoy played on a JP solo album not long ago.
MP has always maintained he and Jordan Rudes remained on good terms.

So an LTE reunion became the next logical step in MP and JP getting back together as friends.

But I wouldn't take this to mean Portnoy will be returning to Dream Theater any time soon, if ever.

There was indeed bad blood You are not wrong.. MP and JP made up maybe 2 years ago, give or take. Portnoy played on a JP solo album not long ago.
MP has always maintained he and Jordan Rudes remained on good terms.

So an LTE reunion became the next logical step in MP and JP getting back together as friends.

But I wouldn't take this to mean Portnoy will be returning to Dream Theater any time soon, if ever.
I saw some videos of Mangini with DT and I think he really kills it with them nowadays. I got free tickets to see Sons of Apollo and that music was pretty cool (Portnoy and Billy Sheehan are in that band). But what I think kills it for me with Portnoy was his half-hearted attempt at trying to be relevant when he went public maybe a week after Neil Pearts’ death and announced that he knew of Neils condition for quite some time but wanted to “respect Neils privacy” and wouldn’t mention it. Like anybody cares that Mike Portnoy knew about it. Just another example of someone who doesn’t realize “it’s not about me”, ya know?

Quick snaps from his social media accounts. Looks like brought an old friend into the studio! Only minor change i spot is that the china in the middle is now above the crashes. On that kit he used to have it below the crashes, just above the ride, during the 6DoIT and ToT tours. Very cool! Oh yeah, and those thrones with backrests ofcourse xD
And looking at it... the timbale is missing too. Yeah, i know... i'm an MP kit nerd ehe

Wonder what he'll come up with for the tour, but i doubt he will take this kit with him and show us a new badass kit :D

426125778_939129077581764_6513105151075691060_n.jpg

426113625_939129090915096_2487674849581053584_n.jpg

Last edited:
Neil Peart made me WANT to play drums.... but Mike Portnoy made me go BUY a set of drums after hearing the AWAKE album.

I almost liked him more after he left Dream Theater. The Winery Dogs stuff and Sons of Apollo are pretty cool. I haven't liked DT since around 2000. Him re-joining DT doesn't excite me at all.

Quick snaps from his social media accounts. Looks like brought an old friend into the studio! Only minor change i spot is that the china in the middle is now above the crashes. On that kit he used to have it below the crashes, just above the ride, during the 6DoIT and ToT tours. Very cool! Oh yeah, and those thrones with backrests ofcourse xD
And looking at it... the timbale is missing too. Yeah, i know... i'm an MP kit nerd ehe

Wonder what he'll come up with for the tour, but i doubt he will take this kit with him and show us a new badass kit :D

View attachment 143462

View attachment 143463
Is that a drum kit or a drum store?

• Haha
Reactions: iCe
Back