Mike Mitchell

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Interviews
Dallas' Mike Mitchell is a Jazz Drumming Prodigy
By Jeremy Hallock Tue., Jan. 13 2015 at 9:15 AM

mikemitchell.jpg

Worldly and wise with chops and a first class music education at the age of 20, Dallas drummer Mike Mitchell is a globetrotting prodigy. In the last four years he has won more awards from DownBeat Magazine than he can remember, as well as being cited as an up-and-coming artist in countless other worldwide publications. He has worked with [bassist] Christian McBride, [alto saxophonist] Antonio Hart.... But this only scratches the surface of what Mitchell has already accomplished.

Mitchell has been playing drums since he was two years old, when he watched an older cousin play drums and learned quickly.

"I'm still searching," he says. "I want to have my own independent style and voice. Most drum nerds are able to listen to an album and immediately tell you who the drummer is and that's the goal for me."

It is clear that he has been influenced by jazz fusion drummers like Tony Williams, Jack DeJohnette, and Lenny White. But he also takes queues from rock drummers like Mitch Mitchell, Keith Moon and John Bonham.

Full Story

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Awesome man, bringing so much to the table, love it!! Ill be busy listening for a while.....thnx dude

Insanity, wish he unmuffled the kit a bit....but what technique...........Great stuff!!!

Gotta listen when I can and report back to you! He certainly has all the chops and the energy in spades! Im all about the correct musical decisions played well in correlation to the band in terms of dynamics, volume, and what is called for emotionally or style wise. He seems to stick out a bit to my ears, but many drummers I love also do at times...lets me see if I develop a love affair. I wouldn't be exploring this if it wasn't for you, so thank you for that!! Always trying to expand my thing.

What I meant was that in the mix and dynamically, he seemed to stand out a bit too much for my taste. Disclaimer....what I did check out seemed to be drum cam, which may explain the sticking out to my ears. Also I listened on terrible computer speakers at work, not the best to evaluate. So Im basically just this hack who is boldly saying what isnt perfect to his ears from this out of this world amazing drummer....take it for what its worth.

The Spirit Fingers stuff Im listening to now sounds wonderful, no pedantic complaints! ;)

Last edited:
He makes it look absolutely effortless. I'll be watching for him. Thanks for sharing!

I listened to the first clip of him playing with Stanley on A Brazilian Love Affair. I like his playing there for the most part. He's got monster chops. But he also showed a smooth and deft touch. I've seen him live at The Blue Note in NYC a few years ago with my teenage son. My son loved him. But I wasn't as drawn in. He had to be about 18 or 19 when I saw him so his playing may have reflected his age at the time. But I found him to be far too busy and far too frenetic for the music. And listening to the clip I realized something else. He's playing small drums. Stanley Clarke's drummers like Gerry Brown played bigger drums and I felt they matched the music he was playing. Toms with a deep and long sustain. When Mitchell hits his toms they just go "dink". Now, that could just be the sound on that clip. I've got to listen to some more of his recent playing before I come to any conclusions. But with his chops, he can really grow into something special.

Back