Mike Bordin

Anyone own his signature Yamaha Copper snare? Intriguing design, being half-hammered and all.

I would love to try one out someday. They're a little pricey to buy blind.

He's great, I've only recently discovered him. He plays really hard which I like! Though his style is influenced a lot by Dale Crover in my opinion. They have similar drum sounds and chops I think.

Though I wasn't a fan of Faith No More, I was immediately impressed with Bordin's drumming when they first broke, and kept an eye on him through the years with different projects. He always struck me as a first-rate drummer with power, precision, and taste.

That's why the 2002 'Diary of a Madman' re-issue, where Bordin re-records Lee Kerslake's original (and awesome!) drum parts, was so disappointing. As much as the feud between the original rhythm section and Sharon Osbourne enraged me, I was still interested to hear the new breed's 'take' on the classic tracks.

I'm not sure what happened, but the results were just short of disastrous.

Anybody have any backstory on this? Was the re-recording situation less than adequate (time restrictions/studio failings/producer shortcomings)? Perhaps Bordin was ill? And honestly, I'm not even looking to insult the guy by asking these questions; the fact is I've heard him play world-class drums time and time again, both live and recorded, but the 2002 re-issue contributions were patently sub-par.

Back