Midlife Crisis: Back to Pearl?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Yes, I’d say that your midlife crisis is imminent at this point…I was 32 when I had mine; not sure what that says about my life expectancy…:oops:😂
Expect everything after 64 to be a gift and wonderful.
It means you recognize that—on average—you're closer to death than birth, and it's time to check the bucket list
So a running out of time freakout. My wife is gonna love that!
Yes, get it scheduled right away. Let us know once you’ve picked up the red sports car and introduced your children to their new mom.
Well I bought a blue sports car in 2018, and my wife and I have only been married 9 years. Maybe I'm there and just to busy to notice.

@RobertM get the Pearls. As a biased Pearl guy I say it's a fantastic decision.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I've never owned any Pearl and don't know much about them but they must be some kick ass drums when you think about the fact that Louie Bellson, Mel Lewis, Chester Thompson, Jeff Porcaro and other greats played them.

Here's a cool video with Ian Paice

felonious69

Gold Member
I started out on a 5 piece kit my mom got me for Christmas decades ago. DECADES. It was a cheap made in Japan silver sparkle kit that I flipped over. Eventually I had Ludwig spurs put on it as well as drilled for the Ludwig tom mount. For the life of me I can't remember what I did with that piece of my musical life. I'd give anything to know where it's at today..with mom gone it's even more than important. I love this thread about your first kit and coming home.
I would LOVE to have another Gibson L6-S! (my first)
That thing was EASY to play!!!!! And it sounded great! Not mine down there but exactly like it.

Attachments

• L6-S.jpg
    L6-S.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 5

Artstar

Platinum Member
Now, nearing my fifties, I’m finding myself being drawn back to Pearl. Looking at 20/14/12 kits in Reference, Masters Maple Complete, MRV.

I would go Completes.. as resale will really get you on those others if you feel like changing it up again .. The Completes sound fantastic but hardly any vids do them justice to what they are capable of.

GretschedHive

Silver Member
I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this “phenomenon,” but I’m finding myself being strangely pulled back to the first drum company set I played.

In high school in the eighties, I got my first ever drum set, a black Pearl Export. After years of playing that kit, I eventually got to play some higher end kits, and I grew to dislike Pearl mainly because of their tom mounts, which I hated in the eighties (there was no way to position a 10x12 tom over a 22 kick comfortably!).

Now, nearing my fifties, I’m finding myself being drawn back to Pearl. Looking at 20/14/12 kits in Reference, Masters Maple Complete, MRV.

Is there a medical explanation for this?

Sehnsucht (German pronunciation: [ˈzeːnˌzʊxt]) is a German noun translated as "longing", "desire", "yearning", or "craving". Some psychologists use the word to represent thoughts and feelings about all facets of life that are unfinished or imperfect, paired with a yearning for ideal alternative experiences.

Yes, I’d say that your midlife crisis is imminent at this point…I was 32 when I had mine; not sure what that says about my life expectancy…:oops:😂
That’s awesome ( for you ? No !) for me !
Having mine now so I guess I’m making it to 110. Yayyyyy 🙌🏼. Lol !

Aaaand, I can’t bring myself to part with my 3 piece black 70’s pearl wood/fiberglass kit . Even with my 7 piece tama bb kit that I love ! Had those pearls 40(?) years I think . Had them paired with 70’s 10 and 12 chrome-o-wood concert Tom’s and 8,10,12 Roto toms and my 68 Supra , all of which I still have .

Last edited:

Bozozoid

Gold Member
felonious69. Is that Gibson L6s the guitar that the guy in Kansas played for awhile?. That brought back memories when I'd seen an L6 locally in cherry burst that I lusted over. Great memory.

Soulfinger

Can´t go wrong with Pearl IMHO.

Funny, I seem to be going through the same phase. Started out on a Tama snare drum and a Paiste 505 ride 40 years ago - now after a long detour with Pearl, Zildjian, Meinl, Sabian etc. I`m back playing Tama and Paiste again (with a bit of Pearl, Yamaha and UFIP thrown in for good measure).

Justinhub2003

Silver Member
I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this “phenomenon,” but I’m finding myself being strangely pulled back to the first drum company set I played.

In high school in the eighties, I got my first ever drum set, a black Pearl Export. After years of playing that kit, I eventually got to play some higher end kits, and I grew to dislike Pearl mainly because of their tom mounts, which I hated in the eighties (there was no way to position a 10x12 tom over a 22 kick comfortably!).

Is there a medical explanation for this?

Lol same. The first real kit and first new kit I ever bought was a 7 piece pearl Export that I worked my ass off saving for.

But that was the last time I played pearl and have went to DW, Ludwig, & Sonor…. But recently just sold my German made SQ1 kit and bought a Pearl Session Studio Select kit…. In an ice blue oyster wrap.

I frickin love it so far.

I think Pearl makes the best hardware. Their metal working is just more robust and better then everyone else. And their hi hat stands and kick pedals are some of the best in the business.

I think I’ve always considered pearl “low end” in my head because of how known the brand is… and I was rubbed wrong by their high end drums being produced in low wage markets. But as soon as I took the head off my SSS kit, I realized how high end these drums are!

I really want a masters Maple or reference pure some day. But my wife will kill me

felonious69

Gold Member
felonious69. Is that Gibson L6s the guitar that the guy in Kansas played for awhile?. That brought back memories when I'd seen an L6 locally in cherry burst that I lusted over. Great memory.
On the "Wayward Son" video from back then he's playing one. Got mine...my first guitar ever in 78...miss that gorgeous thing!

Ransan

Lol same. The first real kit and first new kit I ever bought was a 7 piece pearl Export that I worked my ass off saving for.

But that was the last time I played pearl and have went to DW, Ludwig, & Sonor…. But recently just sold my German made SQ1 kit and bought a Pearl Session Studio Select kit…. In an ice blue oyster wrap.

I frickin love it so far.

I think Pearl makes the best hardware. Their metal working is just more robust and better then everyone else. And their hi hat stands and kick pedals are some of the best in the business.

I think I’ve always considered pearl “low end” in my head because of how known the brand is… and I was rubbed wrong by their high end drums being produced in low wage markets. But as soon as I took the head off my SSS kit, I realized how high end these drums are!

I really want a masters Maple or reference pure some day. But my wife will kill me
Aside from ‘low end’ I’ve been screaming this about Pearl since I’ve been on the forum.
Most who remark about their tom arms have yet to try gyro lock series.

The State of Pearl Welcomes you back!

s1212z

I had a pearl period long ago, maple master custom extra 6ply and maple free-float snare. While very good, it wasn't great IMO and I don't foresee every going back. The Session Studio look like the best deal going now though, those masterwork prices are something else even though these series seem to be coming from the same place as the SS. I remember if you got a Pearl Export as a 1st kit, you doing pretty good so I'm sure there is a nostalgia factor like many other brands carry now.

King Tiger

I remember as a kid at about seven years old in music class there was always a Ludwig bass drum in the room which I was always drawn to. Some years later after having a couple sets that were so-so at best, my first good set was a black Ludwig classic birch with the keystone badge on the drums. I always thought that was kind of neat because Pennsylvania is the Keystone State, where I live. I have gravitated toward Ludwig over the years and am still playing Ludwig's (and DW's).