Midi Controllers/VST Bass

K Chez

Does anyone here have experience with using a midi keyboard controller with a VST bass guitar? I'm looking to use this type of set up to write riffs that I can communicate to a guitar or bass player in a way besides just humming it to someone. Been told it would be less of a learning curve than just getting a bass, since I have no stringed instrument experience. Any suggestions on how many keys on the controller would be most suitable for this?

wildbill

Platinum Member
Unless you can play it live, you're going to need a DAW or some kind of hardware recorder to record it into.
For very simple riffs, you might only need a couple octaves, but a 37 or 49 key (or more) board will be a lot
more useful if you also use it for other things.

Billn59

Try Ample sound - Ample P Bass Lite II. I use it a lot playing drums a guitar. Lite version is free and sounds really great.

K Chez

Unless you can play it live, you're going to need a DAW or some kind of hardware recorder to record it into.
For very simple riffs, you might only need a couple octaves, but a 37 or 49 key (or more) board will be a lot
more useful if you also use it for other things.
Yes, I have several, Reaper is what I use most. Was looking at a 49 or 61. Better pull the trigger soon on something, so I can make productive use of my social distancing/quarantine downtime!