Middle tom doesn't resonate

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
To test if the tom arm height / positioning, or the proximity of the tom resonant head to the bass drum is the issue - take the tom off the mount - holding it by the top hoop, replicate the reduced resonance position over the bass drum & hit it. Then do the same thing but raise the position a couple of inches at a time. Note any difference.

belairien

Silver Member
I've had the same phenomenon of the reso proximity to the bass drum on many drum brands and mount types. Low and flat being the culprit. Stand mounting was the only way to alleviate it for me, because I could laterally move the tom, and usually an inch or two that the kick mount didn't give me would solve it.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
To test if the tom arm height / positioning, or the proximity of the tom resonant head to the bass drum is the issue - take the tom off the mount - holding it by the top hoop, replicate the reduced resonance position over the bass drum & hit it. Then do the same thing but raise the position a couple of inches at a time. Note any difference.
Would this work if the tom was on a stand and in close proximity to any surface, or just the kick because the mount is in it? Just curious if this is a mount or tom height/angle issue as you describe it. This is interesting phenomenon.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I'm sure that it's not just the kick drum being to close to the tom. It may very well be in this case. However I've been using these mounts since 1988 when I bought my tour customs, and it happens on stands as well, with nothing close to the drum at all. I'm convinced it has to do with the way the whole unit vibrates. The other day I rearranged my kit, and the 12" was dead on the cym. stand. So I started moving and pivoting the clamp that held the tom holder and sliding the tom back and forth on the hex rod until I got the results I was looking for. Anything that touches the drum, or vice versa can kill the drum because it all vibrates together. It's no different than putting moon gel on the heads, except for it's killing the shell and not the head vibrations. It's the same concept of using R.I.M.S. or Tamas Starcast mounting system. The shell is hanging from the hoop, and nothing is fastened to the shell to hold it up. That allows the shell to vibrate freely.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Would this work if the tom was on a stand and in close proximity to any surface, or just the kick because the mount is in it? Just curious if this is a mount or tom height/angle issue as you describe it. This is interesting phenomenon.
Although a mounting type / orientation may well (& often does) present a grounding issue, the affect of close proximity of a surface to a resonant head is a separate issue, & can occur irrespective of the mounting choice, and / or add to a mounting related issue.

The proximity issue applies to floor toms as much as mounted toms. Take any tom above 12". Hook 2 fingers behind the top hoop, then use your thumb on the upper part of the shell to suspend the drum parallel to the floor. Hit the drum, then move it up & down, closer to, & away from, the floor. Note how it's proximity to the floor affects head sustain.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Although a mounting type / orientation may well (& often does) present a grounding issue, the affect of close proximity of a surface to a resonant head is a separate issue, & can occur irrespective of the mounting choice, and / or add to a mounting related issue.

The proximity issue applies to floor toms as much as mounted toms. Take any tom above 12". Hook 2 fingers behind the top hoop, then use your thumb on the upper part of the shell to suspend the drum parallel to the floor. Hit the drum, then move it up & down, closer to, & away from, the floor. Note how it's proximity to the floor affects head sustain.
Andy: Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

brentcn

Platinum Member
My Yamaha Birch Custom kit has developed a problem with the middle rack tom not resonating. It only happens when I put it on the double tom holder on the bass drum. If I put it in the first place, it resonates fine. The same as when I put it on a stand by itself. When I put it in the middle position, it just dies. Ive tried replacing the middle tom holder on the tree. Ive moved it up and down the arm, moved the arm up and down, but nothing helps It used to sound fine. I don't know what changed to make it sound this way. I remember reading about someone else on the forum having this problem but I couldn't find the thread.
HEY!!!

Ok, so I just received a used Yamaha kit with YESS mounts (22, 10, 12, 16). It was disassembled for shipping, so I had to re-mount the YESS mounts, put new clear Amabassadors on the top (the stock Yamaha/Remo Ambassador heads were in good shape!), and tune them up from scratch. I tune each mounted tom and check its pitch while holding it in my hand, by the mount. All the drums SING, and I'm happy. But, as soon as I mount the toms, lo and behold, the 12" tom doesn't sustain nearly as long as the 10" tom does. ******!

Per this thread, I tried loosening the two YESS bolts between the mount and the shell. No change in sustain. So, I check for tuning. Sometimes, the mere act of mounting a drum can apply some tension at a lug or two. Not the case here. At least according to my ear, the pitch/tension at each lug remained unchanged after mounting. (I checked each head while muting the opposing head carefully with my hand.)

There's a small circle of felt on the side of each shell, right below where the YESS mounts attach. Its purpose is to protect the finish, where the mounting arm can pass through the YESS mount, and contact the shell. Currently, I had the mounting arm all the way through the mount, touching the shell.

I backed off on the mounting arm, and positioned the 12" tom so that the arm was an inch away from the shell. BOOM! There was the sustain that I had heard while tuning the drum and holding it in hand. Up and down the arm, that sustain remained, so long as the arm didn't touch the shell directly.

The sustain of the 10" tom was not noticeably affected, whether the arm touched its shell or not. Probably this is simply due to its relatively small dimensions and weight, relative to the 12" drum.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
HEY!!!

Ok, so I just received a used Yamaha kit with YESS mounts (22, 10, 12, 16). It was disassembled for shipping, so I had to re-mount the YESS mounts, put new clear Amabassadors on the top (the stock Yamaha/Remo Ambassador heads were in good shape!), and tune them up from scratch. I tune each mounted tom and check its pitch while holding it in my hand, by the mount. All the drums SING, and I'm happy. But, as soon as I mount the toms, lo and behold, the 12" tom doesn't sustain nearly as long as the 10" tom does. ******!

Per this thread, I tried loosening the two YESS bolts between the mount and the shell. No change in sustain. So, I check for tuning. Sometimes, the mere act of mounting a drum can apply some tension at a lug or two. Not the case here. At least according to my ear, the pitch/tension at each lug remained unchanged after mounting. (I checked each head while muting the opposing head carefully with my hand.)

There's a small circle of felt on the side of each shell, right below where the YESS mounts attach. Its purpose is to protect the finish, where the mounting arm can pass through the YESS mount, and contact the shell. Currently, I had the mounting arm all the way through the mount, touching the shell.

I backed off on the mounting arm, and positioned the 12" tom so that the arm was an inch away from the shell. BOOM! There was the sustain that I had heard while tuning the drum and holding it in hand. Up and down the arm, that sustain remained, so long as the arm didn't touch the shell directly.

The sustain of the 10" tom was not noticeably affected, whether the arm touched its shell or not. Probably this is simply due to its relatively small dimensions and weight, relative to the 12" drum.
Yep, another example of the Yess mount secret. I read about this situation somewhere on this forum about three years ago.
I tested it and found it to be true. At least for my 13 inch tom. Ever since then I always keep my rods about 1/2 inch from the shell.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
When I had a set of RC's from the early 80's I found that I needed to slide the drums up and down the hex arm until I found the best place for it to resonate freely, then did some very subtle tuning adjustments (maybe 1/16th to 1/8th of a turn) to both the batter and reso heads to get the drum to sing it's best. These were direct mounted YESS mounts and those drums could really sing. Unfortunately, they were in sizes that didn't really speak to me so I sold them.