Mid-to-upper level Double Bass Pedal Comparison

Hey everyone,

I was getting set to buy new Tama Speed Cobra 910 double pedals but RonCadillac (another member) provided me with some super helpful feedback so I'm looking for something that will better suit my needs/skill level. I'm 50 years old and while I'm athletic enough, I'm no spring chicken LOL. And I'm completely new to double bass pedal play. I consider my skill level to land somewhere between a good beginner and crappy intermediate player lol. I can play but my technique needs a lot of fine tuning.

My kit: Tama Silverstar w/ Sabian 14" AAX stage hats, 16" & 18" AAX crashes, 22" HHX china, 8" Paiste splash, and a super pricey Ludwig Supraphonic snare that I think I want to replace (not sure I dig having a metal snare). My current double pedals are really old 2nd generation Iron Cobra's and while decent enough, I'd like to upgrade.

I appreciate and listen to just about every genre of music but heavy rock & metal are what I listen to most.

So. . . . .Now that I've rambled long enough. . . . . . .I already posed some of the below pedals to RonCadillac and I figured I would get some more opinions (the more the better) and ultimately, I'll go with my gut. But I guess the idea is to find some great high-end pedals without going much over $300 or spending beyond my potential just for the sake of saying I have cool pedals. That's not my intent. I'm never going to be in an ultra fast speed metal band. I just want the pedals to be super smooth and for me to eventually be able to get really good at the technique.

Of the 3 pedals below, while I'm a Tama guy, I kinda think I'm leaning towards the Pearl's, given how many favorable reviews I've read on line for the price point. Thenit would be the Tama 600's. (I only threw the 900's in there in case I decide to go crazy but it sounds like those are just more than "someone like me" needs").

The more opinions and other options people can provide me with, the better. I'm looking to ordering this week. (I figure I'll be able to make some money on my current Iron Cobras to help with the cost).

Thanks!

Pearl P932 Demonator Right Footed Single Chain with Interchangeable Cam Powershifter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BIBBJ46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eRclFb5J59Y9Z

Drum Workshop, Inc. 3000 Series Bass Drum Pedal, Double (DWCP3002) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003H8Z732/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6PclFb7QN43DY

Tama Iron Cobra 600 Series Double Bass Drum Pedal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCEKISM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OQclFbPFSBCS2

It's crazy how many great reviews you can read about products. pedals in particular, and go all in, just to be super frustrated after. There's no telling which you'll love without trying them. Foot size, build, technique, style of music are all factors which aren't going to be as evident without trying them.

What specifically dont you like about your current pedals other than their age?

There is no magic pedal. One thing is not necessarily better than the other. If your current pedals are in good operating order then there is nothing a new pedal can teach you. It's like changing sticks to get better hands. It doesn't work like that.

There are a few things I don’t like about my current pedals and I will admit that maybe it’s my own lack of understanding the hardware rather than the pedals themselves:

1. The left kick just doesn’t seem to be as smooth or fully in sync with the right side. The beats just don’t seem in sync with one another (of course, that might just be my own lack of skill in that regard).

2. The beaters go way back and sometimes hit my shins. Maybe this is just a setting issue that I’m not aware of.

3. This is a knock I’ve heard of all Tama Cobras, that they’re not as flexible as other brands when it comes to fitting them comfortably into your kit. It’s really hard for me to get the left pedal to sit nicely next to the hi hat pedal, without compromising something else.

There are a few things I don’t like about my current pedals and I will admit that maybe it’s my own lack of understanding the hardware rather than the pedals themselves:

1. The left kick just doesn’t seem to be as smooth or fully in sync with the right side. The beats just don’t seem in sync with one another (of course, that might just be my own lack of skill in that regard).
Linkage will always cause this regardless of the brand. One thing I can tell you is try to have the linkage as straight as you can. The more the u-joints are bent, the more it'll lag.

2. The beaters go way back and sometimes hit my shins. Maybe this is just a setting issue that I’m not aware of.
You can bring your beaters closer to the head (depending on your model). I have DW5k's that don't have this option & it's a small issue.

3. This is a knock I’ve heard of all Tama Cobras, that they’re not as flexible as other brands when it comes to fitting them comfortably into your kit. It’s really hard for me to get the left pedal to sit nicely next to the hi hat pedal, without compromising something else.
If the hi-hat stand is the same brand as the pedals, they should work well together.

I for one buy the hi-hat stand & pedals together if that's my direction. I saved & did that with my 5k's many moons ago & all has been good.
The Pearl Demon Drives are really good as well as the DW Machine Drive. But be ready to lay down some cash as neither are cheap.
That being said, this is an investment in your craft & you'll not have to buy another pedal set for probably the rest of your life.

Just some food for thought.

You need to try them yourself. It's the only way to get an accurate fit. Kinda like buying a pair of shoes. Just because I prefer Pearl doesn't mean it'll work for you. If you're looking at DW, forget the 3000 and go for the 5000 series. BUT try it first.
Just to reinforce what John is saying, I saved up specifically for an Iron cobra double pedal, went in the shop to try them out and walked out with a cheaper Gibraltar pedal that felt better to me...I guess I could’ve taken the cobras home and tinkered with them but the cheaper option was immediately better suited to my playing style (and size 12 feet!), (y)

Having just sold my Pearl Demon Drive, an overengineered pedal, I am now playing the Pearl P932 Demonator Single Pedal, which you mention above, and I absolutely love it. It's smooth and simple yet still offers an impressive array of adjustments. It gets my highest recommendation.

Having just sold my Pearl Demon Drive, an overengineered pedal, I am now playing the Pearl P932 Demonator Single Pedal, which you mention above, and I absolutely love it. It's smooth and simple yet still offers an impressive array of adjustments. It gets my highest recommendation.

they are fast too! Love the simple look of them as well (like that means anything lol) ;
They just look fast and light but not in a weak way

I would suggest the pearl eliminator redline. The same price as the speed but with limitless adjustability and the option to have a strap as well.

they are fast too! Love the simple look of them as well (like that means anything lol) ;
They just look fast and light but not in a weak way

The P932 Demonator is streamlined but very well built. Its quality for its cost is amazing, proof that a higher price tag doesn't always mean a more desirable product.

#1 is more than likely the driveshaft. Hold the cam on the left pedal still with your left hand. Now take your right hand and move the left beater. If it moves more than 1/8" or so your driveshaft is shot. Trick driveshaft will fix this.

#2 can probably be adjusted so this doesn't happen.

#3 never heard that. There are rotating hi hat stands that allow you to nest the pedals. There are also 2 legged stands that do the same thing. It looks like this:

20200806_180953.jpg
If your stand does not rotate, there is a chance it can be made to do so easily.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all of the responses/feedback. Well, the funny thing is that the Iron Cobra 2 leg hi hat stand is the one I have but it seems like the drive shaft length ends up pushing my hi hat pedal farther to the left than is really comfortable. Maybe I should be pushing the hi hat pedal closer to my snare, even if it means compromising the ease of access to the slave bass pedal? (i.e. my thighs will be rubbing against the snare in that scenario). I haven't found a way to get both pedals to be naturally comfortable.

And I think based on everything I've read online, and everything y'all have said to me, I seem to be leaning towards the Pearl D932 Demonator pedals. The price point ($240) is reasonable, contrary to the Speed Cobra 910 or DW5000, etc. I'm not a good enough player to really justify spending for that level of pedal. But the Demonators just sounds good. But I agree with you all that I won't know for certain until I go to a store and physically try them out for myself. And that I shall do!

Welcome to double pedal land. There’s always going to be forced compromise with them one way or another. You’ll play your hats more, so I’d say let them win the ergonomics battle.

Hi - old pro here having played almost every pedal on the market over the last 20 years - of the three you mentioned, all three can be made to feel like the other. So not to throw a wrench in there, but it won’t really matter which one you get. They all work and more or less feel identical. So I say pick one and get to work. Your technique isn’t where you know there’s something in the pedals holding you back, it’s the opposite at this stage. I’m a DW pedal guy so I lean that way, but your other two choices are identical to the DWs. Maybe choose which one you like by how it looks.

Honestly ..... the Iron Cobra's you have are fine. As MIP stated, a Trick driveshaft is a killer upgrade.

Your "option" pedals are also all very fine. I currently have the Pearl P932 double. I wanted to try out a long board pedal ..... saw a few video's on it, and it is a really good pedal.

As far as ergonomics ...... there's always something ..... but maybe look into a 13" snare. One of my main snares is a Pearl 13"Omar Hakim. And it does sit a little better in the in between.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 6
Again, thanks for the feedback! I ended up ordering the Pearl P932’s today, along with the Tricks drive shaft so that I can instantly make that switch. Seemed like a goo long term choice. And got them new at a price I could afford.
Good call on the Trick drive shaft upgrade. You should see a significant difference in the slave pedal’s response.

Back