Mic'n just the bass drum

eclimax13

a little new to drums and am looking for that deep "live" sound at home from the kick drum...thought about putting a mic in from and using a pa or subwoofer to enhance it...or are there other ways/thoughts on doing this?

Aeolian

Platinum Member
At home? Wow. I guess you could stick an Audix D6 (probably the sound you're looking for) run though a small preamp/mixer into a home sub to rattle your britches. But if your kick isn't kicking, it's either the drum, the way it's set up, or the room your in.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Proper heads and proper tuning. Different kinds of beaters make a big difference, too. Oh, and resist any temptations to put anything in the kick drum, like a pillow or blanket or anything...that will just suck the sound and life out of the drum. You should be able to accomplish whatever sound you want with the appropriate heads and the right tuning.

Welcome to the forum, BTW!

eclimax13

well its a pearl birch vbx kit...mainly i am just looking for that heart pounding bass kick you hear at concerts...if its even possible to do at home...i have a dedicated basement...what can i do to improve this with tuning and heads?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I agree with caddy, You shouldn't have to amp the bass drum when you are playing alone.
I only mic my bass when I am playing at a medium to large venue with a band. When I do mic it, I only add a touch of it into the PA system.
I use an SK II tuned just slightly above the point where a tone is produced, Tighter than Just above wrinkle. About 75 on the drum dial. I like to have a bit of boom in my bass drum.
I use a ported reso head also. I never put anything inside the bass.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
SKII or EMAD batter head with a ported reso. If you want it a touch dryer, add a felt strip to the reso head.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
If you put some simple damping around your basement it will change the frequency balance. If all you have are hard concrete walls it will sound bright. If you go overboard with Auralex or some other treatments (make sure they're fire retardant, you don't want your house going up by accident) then the room will become bass heavy and such all the tone out of your snare and cymbals.

The sound you hear at concerts bears very little relationship to what a bass drum really sounds like. Much to the annoyance of most drummers (and other musicians) I know. I have a fifteen thousand watt PA system with a separate parametric eq for the kick along with a frequency selective gate, and I can make it go either way. But unless someone is really dead set on that concert boom, I try to make it sound like a real drum. To me, there's more rhythm in a tight thwap with some tone behind it than in a long resonating boom.

eclimax13

played around with the tuning...didnt really give me the result im looking for...talked to pearl and they agreed that putting a mic in front of the kick while eq'ing a bit and sending it to a subwoofer would give me what im looking for.