Micing kit and playing to music tracks

bud7h4

Silver Member
This has to be a common question but I honestly don't even know what to "search" for.

I want to mic my kit, and play to music, and be able to record. I don't need help with the micing itself, there's plenty of info online about that. I'm having trouble finding info on the necessary gear and routing because most of it involves running to a main mixer and monitoring a whole band. I just want to mic my kit and run in-ears.

As for XLR inputs, I would only be using 3 mics on the kit at most.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
This almost sounds too simple to me. And if I answer anything, I feel like I'll be missing something.

What's the issue? Do you need to know what mixer to use? You already know you're miking up with three mics. And you know you want to be able to play music on another track. And you'll be listening to all of it via in-ear monitors. So you know the mixing board allows you to do just that, right? What specifically do you need to have answered?

Supernoodle

Try this: buy a cheap mixer with as many/few mic inputs as you like plus another mono or stereo input for the music, then mix the drums down to one channel (left), and hard pan the music you're playing to onto the other channel (right).

Now you can record this with any stereo audio recorder or camera using a splitter cable from headphone stereo jack to two phono plugs to go into the outputs of the mixer.

This way you'll have your playing and the music still separate to use in Audacity for example.

bud7h4

Silver Member
Try this: buy a cheap mixer with as many/few mic inputs as you like plus another mono or stereo input for the music, then mix the drums down to one channel (left), and hard pan the music you're playing to onto the other channel (right).

Now you can record this with any stereo audio recorder or camera using a splitter cable from headphone stereo jack to two phono plugs to go into the outputs of the mixer.

This way you'll have your playing and the music still separate to use in Audacity for example.
The parts highlighted in red are what I was having trouble with, many thanks!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
We need more information, specifically, which output cable type comes out of your music player, (I can't assume anything, it could be RCA, 1/8", 1/4", USB) which mixer you are using and what different types of input jacks does it have, and what method and gear you are recording with.

eric_B

How do you want to record, with a computer or not?
If so, then I would use an audio interface with at least 3 XLR inputs.
Use a DAW like Reaper or whatever and you can record every mic separately (or together).
You can load music files into the DAW. If you want to use a separate music source then you would need 1 (or 2 for stereo) extra input and can record both mics and music. Or use an external mixer.

Without a computer, something like a Mackie 802 VLZ4 mixer will get the job done (but 3 XLR inputs max).
Connect the XLR mics to channel 1 to 3 and the audio input to 5-6.
Connect an external recorder to the main outputs or tape out and record mics plus drums.
But you can also route the mics to the main mix and the music to alt 3-4 to only record drums.

Another way to go would be a digital mixer, there are many but something like a Behringer X Air XR-12, could work great as well.
You need a mobile device to control it but you can stream music to it and simply record to a USB drive.

It all depends what you want, what you already own, what you want to spend and which type of control you prefer (analog mixer or mobile device).

Last edited:

cbphoto

Gold Member
Besides mics, stands & cables you will need:
  1. An audio interface. Either USB 3 or thunderbolt works well. This device should have a headphone jack so latency is a non-issue.
  2. A Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) that works with this interface.

Once everything is connected, boot up the DAW and get tot work!

bud7h4

Silver Member
Thanks so much for all the help!! Thanks for that diagram CB!
Recording is an option I definitely want (sound and video) but my highest priority is monitoring audio as I play.

I'm looking into putting together a setup based on Supernoodle's suggestion, and the no-computer option detailed by eric_B.

This almost sounds too simple to me. And if I answer anything, I feel like I'll be missing something.

What's the issue? Do you need to know what mixer to use? You already know you're miking up with three mics. And you know you want to be able to play music on another track. And you'll be listening to all of it via in-ear monitors. So you know the mixing board allows you to do just that, right? What specifically do you need to have answered?
I don't know how I overlooked your post Bo. No I didn't know it was that simple to set up until a couple hours ago.